Star Trek Discovery

Commander Jameson

They went back to the original 1980s concept art rather than basing it on the limitations of 1980s and 1990s TV prosthetics technology.

Edit - I’m not going to say something like “it’s not even possible to make the Ferengi worse” obviously.

1 hour ago, jcafarley said:

Ugh, they really don’t know how to write anything that isn’t about ‘the end of everything.’

Like it's being written by a ten-year-old. 

Luckily, the crisis will be averted by Burnham doing whatever the fuck she wants and then getting promoted again.

I haven't heard the word "anomaly" used so often since Primeval on ITV.

I always expect someone to fuck it up and say "anomolomaly" or something, like I would almost every time.

"There's a fine line between a pendulum and a wrecking ball". That's where all my clocks have been going wrong then. 

In fairness, that looks awesome. 

Spoiler

Is not something I've ever said or am likely to say about Discovery. 

I'm out. After hate watching it all up to now, it looks like they've learned nothing and are just doing the same story again. Another worst thing the galaxy has ever seen? No way! It's only been 5 minutes since the last one had a teary farewell.

"let's fly" sounds shitter every time I hear it, and it started shit. 

I don’t get why they’re trying to make “let’s fly” a thing. 

“Engage” is obviously linked to Picard, but it’s not like he was the only one to say it, the other captains don’t have catchphrases do they...  nothings  Jumping out at me now I’m thinking about it.

9 minutes ago, Fuddle said:

“Engage” is obviously linked to Picard, but it’s not like he was the only one to say it, the other captains don’t have catchphrases do they...  nothings  Jumping out at me now I’m thinking about it.

'Ah! We come in peace
Shoot to kill
Shoot to kill
Shoot to kill
We come in peace
Shoot to kill
Shoot to kill, men'

Was Kirk's catchphrase. 

Engage and stuff like 'I'm a doctor, not a…' became catchphrases organically as opposed to this where they may as well have had someone from CBS marketing stood on the bridge putting in orders for t-shirt printing during those interminable scenes where the crew 'wackily' talked about what to say when the ship goes to warp.

There’s no fucking way I’m watching this season. I don’t want the Netflix algorithms thinking this is what I want.

I’ll pop in here to read the spoilers from those who do watch it. You’re the true heroes in all of this. And for that, I salute you. *sniff* I think I’m getting emotional…

Spoiler

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952c930639855d0a75e1

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

There’s no fucking way I’m watching this season. I don’t want the Netflix algorithms thinking this is what I want.

I’ll pop in here to read the spoilers from those who do watch it. You’re the true heroes in all of this. And for that, I salute you. *sniff* I think I’m getting emotional…

Hide contents

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952c930639855d0a75e1

This is the way

17 hours ago, Mogster said:

I think that new Ferengi design looks alright actually, unlike the rest of the trailer which looks bloody awful.

Let's see how they treat them as characters though. They've joined Starfleet, so will the UFP have embraced the unique and diverse elements of Ferengi culture, or will they have been absorbed into the collective and act according to human acceptable standards and cultural norms now now?

4 hours ago, Barnard said:

'Ah! We come in peace
Shoot to kill
Shoot to kill
Shoot to kill
We come in peace
Shoot to kill
Shoot to kill, men'

Was Kirk's catchphrase. 

Star Trekkin The Firm right?  Up on YouTube.  Also beat Whitney Houston to number 1. 

4 hours ago, Fuddle said:

Actually’Warp me’ is a thing on Lower Decks. 

4 hours ago, Fuddle said:

The awful "Punch it" from the Kelvin universe.

1 hour ago, Nifta said:

Let's see how they treat them as characters though. They've joined Starfleet, so will the UFP have embraced the unique and diverse elements of Ferengi culture, or will they have been absorbed into the collective and act according to human acceptable standards and cultural norms now now?

We've had Ferengi in Starfleet since Nog in Deep Space Nine. I'd be surprised if the Ferengi had actually joined the Federation though.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

We've had Ferengi in Starfleet since Nog in Deep Space Nine. I'd be surprised if the Ferengi had actually joined the Federation though.

Let's see...

My guess is they have joined, and we get some "we no longer care about profit" line in the first few scenes that guy is featured.

I want to be wrong of course :)

But, throughout Star Trek (it's not a New Trek thing), the Federation has always said it 'embraced diveristy'.... as long as you hold exactly the same moral values as they do! I liked that line in Trek VI from the Klingons about the Federation being a "homo sapiens only club" :D

1 hour ago, Nifta said:

Let's see...

My guess is they have joined, and we get some "we no longer care about profit" line in the first few scenes that guy is featured.

I want to be wrong of course :)

But, throughout Star Trek (it's not a New Trek thing), the Federation has always says it 'embraced diveristy'.... as long as you hold exactly the same moral values as they do! I liked that line in Trek VI from the Klingons about the Federation being a "homo sapiens only club" :D

Considering the second to last episode of DS9 had Rom become Nagus who wasn’t the most typical ferengi around (and remembered the alternate book of rules of acquisitions) it wouldn’t be the broadest stretch they’ve done.*   Plus it could be a new race related to the Ferengi (but probably not).

*Why can I remember stuff like this and not important things like passwords etc?

TNG Ferengi were always a bit dubious and you can see why they got accused of being a Jewish stereotype. Given they were originally supposed to be new the big bad, they got dropped pretty quickly (I don't think they appeared at all after the first couple of seasons).

DS9 went a long way towards rehabilitating the Ferengi and making them well-rounded characters in their own right. I'm fully expecting Discovery to throw all that away and base the entire race around one writer's cursory, half-remembered viewing of The Last Outpost.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

TNG Ferengi were always a bit dubious and you can see why they got accused of being a Jewish stereotype. Given they were originally supposed to be new the big bad, they got dropped pretty quickly (I don't think they appeared at all after the first couple of seasons).

DS9 went a long way towards rehabilitating the Ferengi and making them well-rounded characters in their own right. I'm fully expecting Discovery to throw all that away and base the entire race around one writer's cursory, half-remembered viewing of The Last Outpost.

It was amusing to see the massive retconning after Encounter At Farpoint ( "Fine, let's hope they find you as tasty as they did their past associates") and The Last Outpost in S1. While the Ferengi did show up a few times in TNG after that (Peak Performance, The Price, Menage A Trois, Rascals, Suspicions, etc), they were then intentionally comedic and had suddenly... er... been in the Federation orbit for years in terms of everyone knowing them. 

On 10/10/2021 at 01:10, Festoon said:

Like it's being written by a ten-year-old. 

Luckily, the crisis will be averted by Burnham doing whatever the fuck she wants and then getting promoted again.

On the plus side Admiral Burham will be chained to a desk at Starfleet HQ and we can get Saru back in charge

I've just started watching The Orville, so I've still got proper Trek to fill the hole left by Lower Decks and won't need this.

I'll still hate watch, obviously, but the fact that Seth McFarlane is making better Star Trek than the official shows (Lower Decks notwithstanding) is bizarre.