rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
VRCurious

Where can i try the HTC-Vive?

Does anyone know where i can try the HTC Vive near me? It's a big investment before i know if it's worth it. I live near Bournemouth and the New Forest and the nearest place i can find is in Reading in PC World where there'll be queues no doubt. Don't mind paying if anyone knows of a local arcade offering gametime on the Vive.

1 hour ago, VRCurious said:

Does anyone know where i can try the HTC Vive near me? It's a big investment before i know if it's worth it. I live near Bournemouth and the New Forest and the nearest place i can find is in Reading in PC World where there'll be queues no doubt. Don't mind paying if anyone knows of a local arcade offering gametime on the Vive.

I'm not sure you really need to. I think if you try VR in any format and you'll know if it's for you or not. If you think "this is pretty cool" for a £20 pair of goggles and your phone, you'll enjoy a proper set up.

But, I'd look for indiedevs near you and ask about meetups there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But if you think a Google cardboard is nauseating shit, as I did, then you might think VR isn't for you.

Fortunately I had tried the Vive a week earlier. It's amazing. VR is definitely for me. The two experiences weren't remotely comparable. I will never wear a Cardboard again, but I would get a Vive in a heartbeat if I had the space and the cash for the headset and the rig to run it.

That's fair enough. All I really meant was "if you do think cheap version is good you're safe to buy a Vive as it will definitely be betterer".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Fortunately I had tried the Vive a week earlier. It's amazing. VR is definitely for me. The two experiences weren't remotely comparable. 

yeah, that's what i've heard. Complete game changer, motion sickness removed, still looking for somewhere to try it. And next year maybe the Virtuix Omni. This sh*t is getting crazy

3 hours ago, Rev said:

That's fair enough. All I really meant was "if you do think cheap version is good you're safe to buy a Vive as it will definitely be betterer".

Ah, I see. Absolutely. If you like Cardboard you'll probably drop a load when you first open your eyes in the Vive lobby.

There's a VR place opened at Oakdene forest park called discover VR. Me and a mate of mine booked in and played there for an hour.  Book at www discoverer.co.uk pretty simple booking process. 

Id highly recommend going if you want to buy the VIVE or like me haven't got the space and money so I'm going to keep playing there!!! 

I did think that, but I did the basic mod-checks before replying. There's nothing that seems particularly dubious, and no crossover of IP between the two new accounts. Probably fine.

Well, that's still a 30-40 minute drive from me but might give it a go. Certainly nearer than Reading. Doesn't look like they have Trials on Tatooine though :(. I expect places will start popping up and i might hold out until later in the year as i think a sleeker Vive is going to be released.

Sorry if you thought this was a plant - I did only sign up to see if anyone knew a vive spot, but genuinely wanted the answer and genuinely excited about where VR is now having been in the Gaming wilderness for decades.