Jump to content
Goose

Bond 25: Mar 2020 - Craig confirmed for Bond - Cary Fukunaga to direct

Recommended Posts

On 12/09/2018 at 12:51, K said:

The problem (or at least one of the problems) with the Bond as codename idea is that all of the Bonds have had the same backstory. So presumably MI6 have engineered dozens of climbing accidents for Scots-Swiss couples with only sons, like in the Boys from Brazil, so that they can bring a new Bond online when the old one gets clipped, or dies of complications from advanced syphilis or something. 

 

Do they actually mention that that in the films often though? I know Skyfall and Spectre tough on it but I don’t remember it from the Brosnan movies.

 

On 12/09/2018 at 12:52, kensei said:

 

Companies and creators ask people to buy into the interconnectness of the world to greater or lesser degree. They can hardly complain when people do buy into. 

 

Especially when theure desperate to shoehorn Bond stuff in to appease certain fans. If you’re going to put Bond’s old car from the sixties in a modern movie with Daniel Craig Bond it’s not unreasonable for the audience to be confused and wonder how those things fit together.

 

On 12/09/2018 at 13:24, Glasgowchivas said:

Cast a new actor in every new film.

 

Cast a new actor for every scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2018 at 09:47, Broker said:

 

Do they actually mention that that in the films often though? I know Skyfall and Spectre tough on it but I don’t remember it from the Brosnan movies.

 

 

Especially when theure desperate to shoehorn Bond stuff in to appease certain fans. If you’re going to put Bond’s old car from the sixties in a modern movie with Daniel Craig Bond it’s not unreasonable for the audience to be confused and wonder how those things fit together.

 

 

Cast a new actor for every scene.

 

Pretty sure that Sean Bean mentioned it in Goldeneye.

 

EDIT: Yep!

 

Bond: How did MI6's screening miss that your parents were Lienz Cossacks?


Trevelyan: Once again, your faith is misplaced. They knew. We're both orphans, James. But where your parents had the luxury of dying in a climbing accident, mine survived the British betrayal and Stalin's execution squads... but my father couldn't let himself or my mother live with the shame of it. MI6 figured I was too young to remember... and in one of life's little ironies, the son went to work for the government whose betrayal caused the father to kill himself and his wife.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t there been 2 landmark anniversary movies where Bond was in Q labs looking at various gadgets and shit he used in past movies too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As somebody has already said my first choice for a new director (branagh) I would now go with the following -

 

James Wan

James DeMonaco

 

both would bring something interesting to the table I feel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big news! Danny Boyle's replacement as director is Cary Joji Fukunaga, director of Beasts of No Nation and the only season of True Detective.

 

 

An interesting choice. But under a year to film and edit such a massive movie? Ummmmmmm.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting choice, definitely. It makes me think that the EON people are drifting back to their arthouse delusions, where they treat a Bond film as if it's Hunger or Shame, rather than making a kind of high-energy, high-intensity thriller that doesn't take itself too seriously, which is the direction I suspect Danny Boyle might have taken. Cary Fukunaga seems like someone who takes his films very seriously indeed, which is perfect when you're making a film about child soldiers in West Africa, and maybe less welcome when you're making a film about a sexy man spy who roams the world engaging in car chases and defeating master criminals using his special futuristic watch.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Big news! Danny Boyle's replacement as director is Cary Joji Fukunaga, director of Beasts of No Nation and the only season of True Detective.

 

 

An interesting choice. But under a year to film and edit such a massive movie? Ummmmmmm.

 

Getting a bit of deja vu here.

 

Like when Marc Foster, the director of more artistic films like The Kite Runner and Monsters Ball, was given 18 months to direct and edit Quantum of Solace.

 

That turned out well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

 

Getting a bit of deja vu here.

 

Like when Marc Foster, the director of more artistic films like The Kite Runner and Monsters Ball, was given 18 months to direct and edit Quantum of Solace.

 

That turned out well. 

 

A cynic would day he had plenty of time considering the film itself simply consists of about a billion edits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved QoS when I first saw it and have defended it ever since. Much prefer it to the two more recent Craig films which are both horribly bloated in different ways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton was far better bond than Craig. It’s a pity he didn’t get more outings. The Living Daylights is pretty much perfect. 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2018 at 05:28, K said:

Interesting choice, definitely. It makes me think that the EON people are drifting back to their arthouse delusions, where they treat a Bond film as if it's Hunger or Shame, rather than making a kind of high-energy, high-intensity thriller that doesn't take itself too seriously, which is the direction I suspect Danny Boyle might have taken. Cary Fukunaga seems like someone who takes his films very seriously indeed, which is perfect when you're making a film about child soldiers in West Africa, and maybe less welcome when you're making a film about a sexy man spy who roams the world engaging in car chases and defeating master criminals using his special futuristic watch.

 

I wonder if the script just has Bond high on drugs for the whole running time, therefore allowing Cary to do whatever the fuck he wants. Which would be by far the most interesting way to use his skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2018 at 20:14, John Edward Gammell said:

I've always liked QoS, (theme song aside), it gives no fucks whatsoever. 

 

The theme is brilliant. Give it another go.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.