rllmuk
Robo_1

The ZX Spectrum Next - Kickstarter Now Live! : Now Funded!

Next Poll  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Anyone heard anymore news on that Dizzy game?

Supposedly sometime later this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Anyone heard anymore news on that Dizzy game?

AFAIK none of the promised stretch goal games have been released - Arc of Yesod, Dreamworld Pogie, Rex Next, Powerblade Delta or Crystal Kingdom Dizzy have been released and there hasn’t been an update on Arc of Yesod, Rex Next in months so I’d be surprised if they’re even still in development.

• Empathy 1

That's a lot of people involved who will be sat at home for a good month or so, with all this free time they might do loads more on the games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

AFAIK none of the promised stretch goal games have been released - Arc of Yesod, Dreamworld Pogie, Rex Next, Powerblade Delta or Crystal Kingdom Dizzy have been released and there hasn’t been an update on Arc of Yesod, Rex Next in months so I’d be surprised if they’re even still in development.

Rex Next is still coming, as is Pogie (the programmer has been seriously ill though so it’s really delayed). Power blade has been re-named to Delta's Shadow and is still coming. Not sure about Arc of Yesod.

I’m glad Rex Next is coming along, Rex was one of my favourite games on the Spectrum. Hopefully with more ‘Nexts getting in the hands of backers there will be more of a community built up around it (and more games!)

Very excited about the arrival of my new second baby daughter last Wednesday... and the Next the day after! I'm already stuck though (wi the Next. The baby is pretty chill so far).

I plugged the machine in last week but ran away/switched it off when the video test screen came up and I think that was a mistake cos I fired it up this evening and there's no picture! Is there a way to hard reset the video settings or the whole machine? I'm assuming the video setting is the problem - the hdmi works fine with my PC still and I'm getting a power light on the Next...

Any thoughts appreciated!

8 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Very excited about the arrival of my new second baby daughter last Wednesday... and the Next the day after! I'm already stuck though (wi the Next. The baby is pretty chill so far).

I plugged the machine in last week but ran away/switched it off when the video test screen came up and I think that was a mistake cos I fired it up this evening and there's no picture! Is there a way to hard reset the video settings or the whole machine? I'm assuming the video setting is the problem - the hdmi works fine with my PC still and I'm getting a power light on the Next...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Yeah the problem is that if your TV takes too long to start, the Next has moved from HDMI to VGA as the test signal. 

If you can’t get it to stay on HDMI, just copy the zero day files back onto the SD card.Make sure your TV is already switched on, the HDMI cable is removed from the Next, the Next is switched off. Then plug in the HDMI cable into the Next and switch the Next on, hopefully your TV connects to the signal quickly enough to display it. It’s the first option you want (PAL, well if your in a PAL region!) You need to remove the HDMI cable from the next incase the tv is giving power over it (the Next power light will remain on, even if switched off, you don’t want that). If you don’t remove the HDMI cable then the Next won’t start correctly, instead giving a garbled screen. 

I moaned about it earlier in the thread, but despite having a hefty manual, the basic instructions on getting started are woeful (eg there’s literally nothing on the available commands for your own customised startup file, you have to write some of them down from the original startup file on the Next, there isn’t a guide on which option you should choose at startup or the fact that if your Tv delivers power over HDMI, the TV must be switched off after use, or the HDMI cable removed from the Next, or the Next won’t boot correctly). 

Anyway, hopefully that gets you up and running with your third “baby”!!!!

• Upvote 2

The forum there isn't very busy, but I have found that you'll usually get a quick answer to a question if you have one. The FB pages seem to be most busy, but FB pages just don't work well as a forum in my opinion. You can always ask here as a few of us have one.

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Yeah the problem is that if your TV takes too long to start, the Next has moved from HDMI to VGA as the test signal. 

If you can’t get it to stay on HDMI, just copy the zero day files back onto the SD card.Make sure your TV is already switched on, the HDMI cable is removed from the Next, the Next is switched off. Then plug in the HDMI cable into the Next and switch the Next on, hopefully your TV connects to the signal quickly enough to display it. It’s the first option you want (PAL, well if your in a PAL region!) You need to remove the HDMI cable from the next incase the tv is giving power over it (the Next power light will remain on, even if switched off, you don’t want that). If you don’t remove the HDMI cable then the Next won’t start correctly, instead giving a garbled screen. 

I moaned about it earlier in the thread, but despite having a hefty manual, the basic instructions on getting started are woeful (eg there’s literally nothing on the available commands for your own customised startup file, you have to write some of them down from the original startup file on the Next, there isn’t a guide on which option you should choose at startup or the fact that if your Tv delivers power over HDMI, the TV must be switched off after use, or the HDMI cable removed from the Next, or the Next won’t boot correctly). 

Anyway, hopefully that gets you up and running with your third “baby”!!!!

You shouldn't have to copy any files across or hope that your TV displays a picture quickly enough. On startup you can force an output mode by holding down:

D for HDMI/DVI
R for RGB
V for VGA

It's mentioned here in the quick start instruction for updating to the latest version:

https://www.specnext.com/latestdistro/

If you find you're seeing the HDMI issue where it continues to power your Next after you've switched it off, you can also try changing input on your TV or just putting it in standby. Both of these worked on the LCD TV I tried mine with, but YMMV depending on TV.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone received their shipping e-mail this week? Apparently I'm just under the threshold, so mine should've been posted yesterday or today.

Oh and pro-tip if anyone (on a Mac at least) needs to format their SD-Card, use the right app (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/) and don't go through Disk Utility, as the Next can't read however the Mac formats it.

Anyhoo, been having a lot of fun with the Next. Baggers In Space & Warhawk can't come soon enough, but here's a quick roundup of the games:

Montana Mike - Software Creations

Purchase: https://softamuse.itch.io/montanamike

This is a fun little platform adventure in the vein of Rick Dangerous. It looks pretty good, has a passable intro tune, but the animations are a bit rough. The game itself is fun. It's challenging but not punishingly so. You whip, shoot and jump your way around a series of well design tombs, collecting the required number of treasures. There's some well placed traps and a good variety of badniks to avoid or dispose of.

Of all the games I've got for the Next, I've probably spent the most time with this. It does have two pretty major drawbacks though, the collision detection on some of the whip hits is prone to failure. I've seen the whip cut straight through an enemy but no death animation is triggered. You can mitigate this problem by being sure to give yourself enough space for multiple whip attempts, but still, it's a problem. The other problem, is there seems to be a hell of a lag when you duck. You can't just tap the duck button, you have to hold it until you finally duck. It cost me many failed attempts until I figured this one out, but once you factor it into how you play, it's manageable.

So yeah, for the $1.79 asking price, it's more than worth it, but be prepared to work around the bugs.

Bubblegum Bros - Software Creations

Purchase: https://softamuse.itch.io/bubblegumbros

This bubbly Bubble Bobble clone is pretty harmless. It runs well, is suitably colourful but again, the animations are pretty weak. You do at least get an in-game tune this time around though. Everything is very fast and fluid (a testament to the Next's new sprite abilities) and it's all set up for two player. For single players, I've encountered a persistent bug where the second character will travel straight to the bottom left of the screen, jump and fire and even after you die, the game will continue to recognise this character and you have to reset the machine to try again. Maybe I'm missing something (in truth, this is the game I've spent the least amount of time on), but it does feel buggy.

Dungeonette - Software Creations

Purchase: https://softamuse.itch.io/dungeonette

This Attic Attack inspired adventure was the first Next game to be commercially available. If you're familiar with Ultimate's classic, you'll know the drill here, run through a maze of rooms killing bodies grabbing keys and ultimately defeating the evil King. There's precious little more to say really. It looks smart, has a decent tune at the top of the game and it runs well with no bugs. The game is set in one dungeon, so don't expect much variety in the general style. The rooms are a mix of spiked traps with patches of green here and there and you get a few tougher enemies amongst the fodder. For less than a cup of coffee, you can't go far wrong here.

Delta Star - Software Creations

Purchase: https://softamuse.itch.io/deltastar

An interesting take on the Space Invaders concept. In this game, you play a lone space ship, fighting against rows of aliens who have learnt to do more than just shuffle from left to right! This is probably the best looking of the Software Creations bunch and it plays great. There's a mix of power ups, bosses and enemies to go after and they throw a range of attack patterns at you. The sound is largely just bleeps and blops, but it moves smoothly and I've not come across any bugs so far. Certainly one I'm looking forward to spending more time with.

Dweeb Drops - Software Creations

Purchase: https://softamuse.itch.io/dweebsdrop

This is a pretty vanilla but nonetheless fun connect three game, for up to two players. The Dweebs theme looks good and the presentation overall is a great showcase for the Next's expanded pallet. You don't need me to tell you much more about this, it's connect three, it looks good and it plays well, again, for under $2 you'd be hard pressed to find complaint.

Thunderfly - Snappy Games

Purchase: https://snappygames.itch.io/thunder-fly

Thunderfly is an arcade style vertical shooter, which looks as though it was deigned for pre-schoolers. It is hard to get over the flat but colourful graphics and the uninspired SFX, but the guts of a decent vertical shooter are present. It moves well, there's a decent amount of enemy variety (although some like the collection of red ping pong balls are... odd) but weapon upgrades are limited to a fairly bland side canon. The game is spread over a respectable five levels with a decent amount of variety in the terrain and the bosses are satisfying to fight.

All that however, is not able to overcome the flat, crayon-like graphics. At $3 it won't break the bank, and it might be a great game to introduce your kids to the machine.

The Hollow Earth Hypothesis - Ipotamianos

Purchase: https://lpotamianos.itch.io/the-hollow-earth-hypothesis

A game cast in the mould of the classic Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy style games, but with a more grounded premise and setting. The Hollow Earth Hypothesis is a game by one of the Next's early champions , Lambros Potamianos, who had documented the creation of this game whilst the Next itself was in development. A demo is available for free with the Next Software card, but this full version is quite a bit different, after its graphics were completely overhauled by Spec dev legend, Simon Butler.

The game sets you loose on an island consisting of 3 levels and spread across 80 screens. Your task it to find the 20 items scattered across the island, as well as the coins which offer up a vital extra life upon every 40 coins collected. The game offers some puzzling (with an inventory system for collected keys) and a mountain of platforming challenges.

This is clearly the most polished game of the bunch (and it sports at $9 price tag to match) with a good soundtrack, nice graphics and it generally makes good use of the Next hardware. The game play is pure old school, so strap yourself in for pixel perfect jumps, ravenous enemies and countless moving platforms. You may even like to really go back to basics and start mapping the levels, which is probably your best bet for finding all the treasures.

So there's my roundup of the current Next games. It's clearly early days and this is about what you'd expect from the first wave of any new format, but the hardware is solid and there's plenty of enthusiastic coders with more mature projects in development. :)

• Upvote 4

@Camel

@gone fishin'

Many thanks for that - I'm now up and running!

I don't want to turn this into a tech support thread (although the responses mean it's a useful resource tbh) but I'm getting a regular clicking sound - like a key press from an old school zx spectrum - while I navigate the menus - audio link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd0ijyyv7scbpij/Voice 028.m4a?dl=0

Playing Hollow Earth Theory and its interrupting the music so I think it's an audio problem.

As before, any thoughts welcome. This one does make me think I'm gonna be sending it back. :(

Clicking while you navigate the Next's menus is normal. Unless you mean you get a click even when you don't press a key ? Not sure what to make of that audio file, sorry. What's going on?

8 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

@Camel

@gone fishin'

Many thanks for that - I'm now up and running!

I don't want to turn this into a tech support thread (although the responses mean it's a useful resource tbh) but I'm getting a regular clicking sound - like a key press from an old school zx spectrum - while I navigate the menus - audio link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd0ijyyv7scbpij/Voice 028.m4a?dl=0

Playing Hollow Earth Theory and its interrupting the music so I think it's an audio problem.

As before, any thoughts welcome. This one does make me think I'm gonna be sending it back. :(

Are you using an inline power switch? I’ve heard that these are sometimes causing interference with sound.

• Upvote 1

Only report I've seen of an inline switch causing a sound issue was more of a crackling caused by a faulty switch. 

Coud be external interference. Is there a mobile nearby? If nobody here has noticed similar I think you'd be better off asking on the forum or FB page.

• Upvote 1