chris on the moon

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

EDIT: It's out now and is avaible digitally at http://www.amoonshapedpool.com/

with physical versions to follow in late June

Because the king of limbs thread isn't going to be the official radiohead thread.

A song called burn the witch had a video released today that is a trumptown wicker man thing.

Some other stuff will probably happen soon.

Personally I do not find the song that exciting. It's OK. It's probably a little better than King of Limbs but not great.

• Upvote 5

I didn't mind that song at all. It strikes me as a throwback to the more melody driven tracks from OK Computer and In Rainbows, which is no bad thing in my book. Can't wait to see how their LP9 pans out in the end!

New song is fine. Looking forward to the album though.

Would like to hear Thom basically just sing over some of Johnny Greenwood's string compositions. Bringing the strings, the electronics and the rest of the band all into play, at least in the case of this song, means it just ends up sounding like a fairly typical rock song with some adornments.

It strikes me as a song that only reveals its excellence after a few listens. Much like the vast majority of Radiohead's stuff.

Interestingly, it's available on Spotify. It's probably foolish to hold out hope, but I wonder if this could prompt Radiohead to finally release In Rainbows on the service. For my money it rivals OK Computer for the title of best Radiohead album.

• Upvote 2

Yes, I was surprised that it appeared on Spotify. The band don't seem to be too keen on Spotify, given Thom's previous comments about Spotify and Youtube, his removal of his solo/Atoms for Peace albums from there, and XL Recordings' removal of the Parlophone deluxe editions of their albums.

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

It strikes me as a song that only reveals its excellence after a few listens. Much like the vast majority of Radiohead's stuff.

Interestingly, it's available on Spotify. It's probably foolish to hold out hope, but I wonder if this could prompt Radiohead to finally release In Rainbows on the service. For my money it rivals OK Computer for the title of best Radiohead album.

I hope that they don't. I don't think anyone should put anything on spotify other than as adverts, since the amount they pay artists is disgustingly tiny.
They should pay up and charge users accordingly, or fuck off and implode.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's a great song and a fine video too. Really liked those jagged strings peaking at the end, as he burns, and 'low flying panic attack' is a great line...

Hope the album is soon rather than later.

Can't wait for the new album.  Radiohead are my favourite band ever, although I do lean towards the more melody/live instrument driven stuff like In Rainbows.  I'm hoping the new album will be a little more in that direction than the King of Limbs.

Fuck me Burn The Witch is incredible. Those strings, it's unlike anything I've ever heard. Like a massive ball of sharded glass cutting and slicing. Psycho meets How Soon Is Now.

• Upvote 4

I agree with @Timmo and @mansizerooster, this is stronger than anything on King of Limbs and anything they have released in the last 8 or so years. Only really gets good after a fair few listens.I hope they can produce just one more absolute blinder of an album.

Also, I'm really hoping they release the new album soon and before I see them live so I have a chance to learn all the lyrics and sing like a twat at the concert spoiling it for anyone else. Did I mention that I'm seeing them live?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Fucking hell, that is GORGEOUS. I'm a massive Radiohead fanboy, but Jesus, it's ambitious and awesome. Bodes extremely well for the rest of the album.

I agree. Both this and Burn the Witch eclipse anything on Limbs. How the fuck are they doing it at their age?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I agree. Both this and Burn the Witch eclipse anything on Limbs. How the fuck are they doing it at their age?

Christ. Are you 6 or something? Thom Yorke is only 47.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Christ. Are you 6 or something? Thom Yorke is only 47.

Receptive forum today. I was just making the point that most musicians don't really output anything interesting past their early thirties. I'm only going on anecdotal evidence, but can you really think of another band who have stayed together in their late forties let alone are still producing music that anyone except hardcore fans give a fuck about?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Receptive forum today. I was just making the point that most musicians don't really output anything interesting past their early thirties. I'm only going on anecdotal evidence, but can you really think of another band who have stayed together in their late forties let alone are still producing music that anyone except hardcore fans give a fuck about?

It's a reasonable point. Radiohead are an outlier right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1