rllmuk

16 minutes ago, Benny said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is probably currently the best looking game in existence.

Did they fix the HDR issue that game had?

Just now, Benny said:

You still need to turn it off, but it's still the best looking game.

Cool. I'll check that out tonight.

22 minutes ago, APM said:

Just got round to buying a 4K TV. What's considered a good example of an X Enhanced game to lap up the 4K goodness?

Red Dead, Far Cry 5, Forza Horizon 4

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mr Tony said:

Red Dead, Far Cry 5, Forza Horizon 4

Forza Horizon 4. Another for the list. Was Forza 7 4K as well? Might as well oo and ah over some shiny cars.

• Upvote 1

Good shouts. I tried the last two Tomb Raiders and they looked nice as well. I have all these aside from Far Cry 5. What about the Witcher 3, I see that's X Enhanced.

15 minutes ago, APM said:

Forza Horizon 4. Another for the list. Was Forza 7 4K as well? Might as well oo and ah over some shiny cars.

It is. It looks stunning at times. Then every now and again you notice the cardboard trees...

4 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

It is. It looks stunning at times. Then every now and again you notice the cardboard trees...

:lol:

7 hours ago, APM said:

Just got round to buying a 4K TV. What's considered a good example of an X Enhanced game to lap up the 4K goodness?

As well as others mentioned I'd also suggest Ass Creed Origins/ Odyssey.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, APM said:

Do you have a PS4? The most impressive HDR games I’ve seen are Horizon, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus.

Nothing else really comes close to those. 

The most recent 2 AC games are very good, too. 

HDR? Forza 7 in a thunderstorm. It’s quite subtle, but better because of it.

Horizon on a OLED was just broken: far too dark in places. Perhaps it’s better on an LED.

(it’s worth noting that one of the reasons the Assassins Creed games work well is because they all you to tune the HDR by providing two points - paper brightness and maximum luminance).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, footle said:

Horizon on a OLED was just broken: far too dark in places. Perhaps it’s better on an LED.

I wonder if that's the same thing that makes Forza Horizon 3 too dark when using HDR Game mode.

59 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Do you have a PS4? The most impressive HDR games I’ve seen are Horizon, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus.

Nothing else really comes close to those. 

The most recent 2 AC games are very good, too. 

I do, yes, but do you not need a pro for that?

22 minutes ago, APM said:

I do, yes, but do you not need a pro for that?

Much better with a Pro but if you’ve got a set which does decent HDR, the base PS4 does do HDR but only in 1080p. Resogun has great HDR, too. 

On One X, Crackdown 3 would be top of my list. The holo art looks superb in HDR. 

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Much better with a Pro but if you’ve got a set which does decent HDR, the base PS4 does do HDR but only in 1080p. Resogun has great HDR, too. 

On One X, Crackdown 3 would be top of my list. The holo art looks superb in HDR. 

Ah, nice, I'll give that a look. Cheers.

9 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Sea of Thieves has a colour palette of beauty.

Yep, sea of thieves sunsets and storms blow pretty much everything else away. Certainly horizon or god of war (which are technically impressive games, and visually spectacular, but not so much for HDR/colour gamut).

another good one for colour is meant to be gran turismo sport, but I don’t have a copy

45 minutes ago, footle said:

Yep, sea of thieves sunsets and storms blow pretty much everything else away. Certainly horizon or god of war (which are technically impressive games, and visually spectacular, but not so much for HDR/colour gamut).

another good one for colour is meant to be gran turismo sport, but I don’t have a copy

I don't know what went wrong when you played GoW and Horizon, but on my OLED they look incredible. Insane intensity of colour. 

The fact you thought Horizon was too dark in area makes me think either you had the TV or game set up incorrectly. 

Sea of Thieves does look nice, though. Shame about the rest of it. 

• Downvote 1

What's the general consensus on where to place the One X? I've had to move mine out of the unit below the tv as it was getting really hot in there. Has anyone had a failure from overheating?

As it's expelling hot air that's a good thing, but don't want to cook it. Also don't particularly want it on top of the unit though. First world problems.

@Pavey Can you not cut out some of the back of the unit to allow the air to escape? The X actually shuts down to protect itself if overheats, and then tells you onscreen when you switch it back on that heat was the issue.  

Was thinking that is an option (and probably the best one), might be my task for the day. Didn't know that about the thermal shutdown thing, good to know. 

The 360 once modded has a temperature read out on the dashboard, always found that very useful as that does get pretty toasty.

The 4 hr sessions I have on The Division 2 are not helping, damn game! ;)

• Upvote 1

On 14/04/2019 at 10:57, Hitcher said:

My X was getting louder and louder when playing 4k games recently so after watching a few I decided to have a go at replacing the thermal paste on the GPU myself.

It really was as easy as they say and I now have an almost silent X again.

It's not really the noise of concern, more the heat. It's not that old either but I'll probably do that once it's ok to open it. Have decided against opening the unit and it will stay on the top, and have moved the PS4 Pro now too.

Now that thing is noisy, we shall see if it stays up top.