rllmuk
Darren

Star Wars - the new canon

7 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Is this book actually in shops or is everyone reading digitally? My Amazon order is delayed and I really can't wait! 

Mine’s digital but others in the thread have mentioned buying it from real shops - Boothjan got his from Forbidden Planet.

32 minutes ago, Darren said:

Mine’s digital but others in the thread have mentioned buying it from real shops - Boothjan got his from Forbidden Planet.

Yep - cheapest I've seen it too. Only a tenner which is good for a brand new hardback release.

I'm about halfway through, I clearly can't read as quickly as you! 

Do I need to read the Aftermath trilogy before Resistance Reborn? I'd like to read it before the new film comes out but I read the first Aftermath book a while ago and thought it was really poor (it's the only new canon book I've read).

No, absolutely not. You don’t need to have read anything else, everything you need to know about characters or events from other books is covered. It’s just a nice geeky bonus if you have and you can be all

nGMrD.gif

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Darren said:

My copy is now arriving today! Woo. I've got Bloodline to finish first though. 

16 hours ago, Darren said:

No, absolutely not. You don’t need to have read anything else, everything you need to know about characters or events from other books is covered. It’s just a nice geeky bonus if you have and you can be all

Cheers, got it ordered now. Need to get started on some of the new canon stuff but it's difficult to know where to start. Might just suffer through the rest of the Aftermath books anyway just to get the full picture!

• Upvote 1

Aftermath's a bit of a slog but kind of worth it in the end. It's hard to recommend outright. It does contain the most clues into how the Empire became the First Order, although they're very vague, presumably deliberately to allow the filmmakers plenty of leeway. I'd honestly recommend reading the discussion of the Aftermath books in this thread to find that stuff out, rather than forcing yourself to put up with the books themselves.

Lost Stars is the one that always gets the most love, with anything else by Claudia Gray also highly recommended. If you just read Lost Stars, Leia: Princess of Alderaan and Bloodline (in that order, I'd say) then you're laughing. Resistance Reborn is the perfect build up to the new film, and if you have time it would be better to read Bloodline first, only because RR includes some pretty big Bloodline spoilers as it's set some time later and includes some of the same characters.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Darren said:

Aftermath's a bit of a slog but kind of worth it in the end. It's hard to recommend outright. It does contain the most clues into how the Empire became the First Order, although they're very vague, presumably deliberately to allow the filmmakers plenty of leeway. I'd honestly recommend reading the discussion of the Aftermath books in this thread to find that stuff out, rather than forcing yourself to put up with the books themselves.

Lost Stars is the one that always gets the most love, with anything else by Claudia Gray also highly recommended. If you just read Lost Stars, Leia: Princess of Alderaan and Bloodline (in that order, I'd say) then you're laughing. Resistance Reborn is the perfect build up to the new film, and if you have time it would be better to read Bloodline first, only because RR includes some pretty big Bloodline spoilers as it's set some time later and includes some of the same characters.

I better finish Bloodline then. Cheers for your posts - you've been very good at convincing me to get back into star wars books. I used to read the old stuff (now 'legends') but it slowly devolved into fan fic style trash. Are there any hidden classics from the old canon? 

Just remembered I have Thrawn to read as well!! 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Are there any hidden classics from the old canon? 

Probably but others will be able to guide you better there. I gave up on the old books in the late 90s, even before TPM, after one too many terrible books of the “quality” of the Crystal Star or the Courtship of Princess Leia. Having said that I used to absolutely love Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, the Pulp Fiction of Star Wars books.

On 13/11/2019 at 10:31, Darren said:

Cheers, have gone for Bloodline and RR to read before the film :)

0593128427.jpg?altimages=true&scaleup=tr

Right - my turn, but I completely agree with @Darren's review!  I absolutely loved this book and it's firmly nestled within my top 5 Star Wars novels.  Why?  Because this delivers far more than expected and really does feel like a closing chapter for the new canon novels set around the Skywalker Saga.  The nods to previous instalments throughout shows a level of detail that will be missed by many but HUGELY appreciated by a select few, and I'm really pleased that I'm amongst that latter group.

It's a proper reward for the last few years of being entertained by the likes of Bloodline, Lost Stars, Lords of the Sith - ALL of which are referenced in this excellent book.  Not just referenced, but properly intertwined and sewn up too.

Just to step aside from the tie-ins, because that won't be relevant to most people, as a stand alone story, I think this also delivers.  Particularly the setting between episodes VIII and IX.  The theme of hope has always been a key aspect of both books and films, and it's just as relevant here.  The story arcs are all strong here, they merge perfectly by the end and I never felt I was bored by any particular thread or subplot and there are a few so kudos to Rebecca Roanhorse for that.

I thought Poe was the highlight - the guilt hanging over him after his mutiny in TLJ helps to sculpt his character and his actions well.  It's good character development for a decent character - I've not read any of the graphic novels but this makes me want to at least look into the Poe Dameron series.  Rey is very much on the periphery of this, but I suppose that might have something to do with a certain pending cinematic release?

So - what do you need to read before starting on this?  Hmm.. whilst you don't need to read any of the previous novels, I think it MASSIVELY helps to have at least read Bloodline and the Aftermath trilogy.  Some of the reveals are fantastic and without previous knowledge of who they are, the effect would be far less.

I read these books to expand on the characters and settings of the films whilst simultaneously telling a good story - some of the films are improved as a result when you have read more about the characters featured in them (hello, Phasma...) and that is precisely what I got from Resistance Reborn.

This is an essential read in the series - how it ties in with Episode IX obviously remains to be seen but it ticks all the boxes for me - I loved it.

9/10

• Upvote 2