gospvg

I am Setsuna

I think it's also hard with Square Enid games when they get discounted so heavily. There's been tonnes I've bought then by the time I get round to playing them they're £20 cheaper. If it turns out to be great I can feel better about it by having supported a good game at launch, but when I'm disappointed I end up doubly so.

The OST is lovely, listening to it now. This is about the only thing with a decent discount in the eShop Black Friday sale, but I find myself tempted to track down the Asian physical edition, which has full English text, for all that it seems to be a curate's egg.

...and I've just impulse bought a physical copy for Switch, the non-Japan Asia release with English boxart. £30 on eBay, figure I can sell it at a minimal loss if it doesn't suit, which wouldn't be an option with the eShop version.

24 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

...and I've just impulse bought a physical copy for Switch, the non-Japan Asia release with English boxart. £30 on eBay, figure I can sell it at a minimal loss if it doesn't suit, which wouldn't be an option with the eShop version.

Yes, yes you can... to me :P

4 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Yes, yes you can... to me :P

Ha, I'll keep you in mind! I doubt it's going to get to the table until I've clocked Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though, which based on the amount of time I spent with XC1 will be about 2020 or so.

6 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Ha, I'll keep you in mind! I doubt it's going to get to the table until I've clocked Xenoblade Chronicles 2 though, which based on the amount of time I spent with XC1 will be about 2020 or so.

I already played through it on Vita, really liked it, but wouldn't mind it as physical media for the collection :P

If anyone's curious (and isn't in the Switch thread), this came in the post yesterday.

666A28A2-52B0-457C-82DA-03E4E5110015.thumb.jpeg.086393389d1e4c803f36522dd297f858.jpeg

Looks like it's basically the Japanese release (same gamecard, inlays etc) with an extra single-sided english art sheet printed and slid in over the top of the Japanese art. It's the official non-JP-Asia release, mind, and the extra art sheet is the same quality as the original. Stick it in the Switch and it's entirely in English, even the tile on the game list.

Did the tutorial mission last night, intrigued. That soundtrack really is lovely. Considering knocking this one off as a festive treat in the depths of winter, and deferring Xenoblade 2 (arriving on Christmas day) until they've given it a few more updates.

• Upvote 5

Finally finished Xenoblade 2 and decided this would make a good warm-down/filler game. Octopath looks very tempting, but is another 100hr plus thing, and I'd rather have a shorter pallete cleanser at this point. I'm hoping all the snow will cool me down, too, while the tarmac melts outside.

Gave it a half-hour spin at lunch - the music is lovely, and the momentum system's pretty neat. I can see the envrionments getting repetitive quickly though (in half an hour I entered two identical snowy forests), and some of the battle status fonts look a bit Times New Roman, like a PC font clumsily hacked into a HD port of a SNES title.

Quite looking forward to this one, with appropriately adjusted expectations.

7 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Finally finished Xenoblade 2 and decided this would make a good warm-down/filler game. Octopath looks very tempting, but is another 100hr plus thing, and I'd rather have a shorter pallete cleanser at this point. I'm hoping all the snow will cool me down, too, while the tarmac melts outside.

Gave it a half-hour spin at lunch - the music is lovely, and the momentum system's pretty neat. I can see the envrionments getting repetitive quickly though (in half an hour I entered two identical snowy forests), and some of the battle status fonts look a bit Times New Roman, like a PC font clumsily hacked into a HD port of a SNES title.

Quite looking forward to this one, with appropriately adjusted expectations.

Was an alright game, I didn't complete it in the end as it was far too repetitive. I'm playing through Lost Sphear now and they have made improvements between games but it's still not quite there (this one I think I will finish though).

I played through this earlier in the year when it was half-price, and thought it was very average.

Combat and some of the story elements are fine. But there's not a lot of imagination in it overall. Repetitive enemies, repetitive environments, some dull characters. And it doesn't even look very nice, with basic models and textures. Plus that combination of constant snow and dreary piano music was soporific at times.

I just about saw it through, mainly out of a stubborn sense of getting some value (and knowing it was relatively short).

It needed more money, time and care put into it. The full price is a joke.

Really enjoying this. The plot points can mostly be seen from a mile off, but some of them (like Nidr’s past) were quite surprising. The battle system is pretty great, and the music is just lovely.  I can smell trouble down the line with the amount of Spritnite/Flux options getting overwhelming, but it’s managable for the moment. 

That music, though. Seems like a game that turned a problem into its own solution - not enough budget for varied world graphics or orchestral music? Make an artistic statement by having only snow and only piano.

I know some people have bemoaned the lack of variety within the game, but those decisions mean it does have variety within the genre. Lost Sphear looks and sounds a lot more generic to me, despite having more variety of setting and instrumentation. 

I liked what I played of this.  Got close to the end but scuppered by a fight I just couldn't win.  After resorting to looking at a walkthrough, I managed to miss the spritnite/flux jobbies that would have got me through more easily and couldn't be arsed going back to find them.  I really liked the music and the enviroments.  Lost Sphear failed to grab me at all.

Hmm. All going along quite serenely until I met the boss of Fridging Caverns, who basically one-shots all but the beefiest I’d my team members. Seems I’m a little under-levelled and also lacking some important spritenite, which I can only get by killing enemies in much earlier areas. Only there’s no fast-travel mechanic, so that means schlepping all the way back on foot. 

Not a great situation. Combination of lacking the playtested balance of a classic like Chrono Trigger, or the modern fast-travel convenience of something like Xenoblade. Might just have to grind through it until I get the airship. 

Yeah, that boss taught me the benefit of rearranging your spritnites. If it helps, that's the only wall I came across until the final boss. 

Rhydderch is the one that stopped me in my tracks. No combinations of anything I had worked against his second wave of attacks. It was just ridiculous and killed the game stone dead for me.

Ta for the encouragement, everyone. I was up-to-date with weapons (although I skipped a set) and had been getting and equipping all the spritnite I could, but hadn’t been farming monsters to make sure I get all their drops, so there are some I’ve missed. 

Backtracked to the nearest village and used my loot from the caverns to buy everyone a support spritnite that restores MP when you defeat monsters, which should mean I can do ultra-fast grinding with massive combos without running out of MP.

Will level up a bit, rejig my spritnite, take my beefier characters, and perhaps eat a meal before the boss-fight (haven’t used these yet).

@Nathan Wind - is that second brick wall boss before or after you get an airship?

Ages since I played now so the details are foggy but I think that may be the fight to get the airship, so before. I certainly didn't have it anyway. As I remember he would cast 'stop' constantly and then one shot everyone.

Beat the fucker at lunch today! I was L26 this time compared to L23, and figured I had a plan:

Endir to use Wall (with momentum) to protect the whole party, Life to revive people, Aura to heal.

Nidr to use Provoke to draw the enemy's fire, Blunt Blow to stun (and heal, with momentum).

Aeterna to use Stop and generally be quick enough to heal/revive with items. Plus X-Strike with Endir.

Start the fight. Aeterna instantly gets one-shotted. Fuck. Use Life to bring her back, and she successfully gets off a Stop. Score! Buff everyone up and start hitting it with X-Strikes. The stop wears off and it starts buffing itself and hitting more frequently with greater damage, while I'm using almost all my actions to keep my team alive. Critical cock-up when I accidentally use the wrong tech (with momentum) on Nidr, instead of healing everyone with Blunt Blow. Endir gets KOed, then Aeterna (while waiting to combo with Nidr), so I think "Fuck it, I've lost" and just have Nidr (now down to only 11HP) do a conventional attack... EXACT KILL.

Come to think of it, it's probaby easier if you change ATB mode back to Wait, but I always play these games on active. I find using items a nightmare as it's a mixture of familiar FF terms (Ether, Potion) and weird ones (Athenian Water?), meaning I tend to get clobbered while picking the right thing.

Anyway, roadblock overcome, and I feel like I've learnt a bit more about how best to use spritnite. I do think the crafting system is a bit misguided though - sounds like using Julienne's Chakra healing technique is a great bet for this battle, but I missed the required drop and don't want to have to walk literally half the game back to find it. They should have had a) quick travel, and b) drip-fed Spritnite options at the Magic Consortium so you had a decent idea of what you should be finding in an area.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I forgot that Stop is so great. Unless a boss is super resistant it can be worth trying to Stop them multiple turns in a row even if you aren't successful at first. Also be sure to get Haste, it's a massive gamechanger.

I think I changed to Wait near the end of the game. When some of the enemies are so punishing you don't have time to be faffing around in menus.

Had some rare playtime tonight, so had another session. Unfortunately, I think I’ve broken the game. 

Remember that support spritnite I mentioned that gives you 20mp for each enemy kill? It didn’t take me long to work out that this means the best way to deal with any non-boss battles is to get a sneak-start, then use an attack-all combo with momentum. Nine times out of ten this kills all enemies on the screen in one shot, you get all your MP back and it’s battle over. I just cleared a whole area doing this, and it got a bit dull.

Figure I have three options here:

a) Don’t use the optimal strategy

b) Use it to plough through the game quickly and see what happens in the plot. 

c) Just pack it in and play Octopath instead.

I’ll sleep on it.