Illyria

Concerts - general discussion and experiences

Radiohead in the open at Old Trafford cricket ground. It seems almost entitled to moan, like it's not really an issue in the scheme of things how enjoyable an experience is when the band is that good. Kind of childish to be too precious about it. But 4 years wait, £90, and travelling a few thousand miles to make it..actually that doesn't matter either. Never been to a concert where the crowd so loudly sing along to the lyrics in a laddish way. I was stuck next to the most annoying attention seeking man who wanted everyone to know how much fun he was having, shouting out the names of each band member in between tracks, spinning around, bumping into people, holding his phone up in the air so Alice on the other end could hear a song being played, i couldn't really concentrate on the performance really for most of it. 'You're getting old' ..said my dad. Not really, there was a chorus behind me too but over to my right people were still enjoying the music but not being over the top about it. You can nod, and jump and sing along to the words without being obnoxious and try to make it all about you. 

Music for me greatly improves in the dark, outdoor concerts in the still light evening don't do much. They started with Let Down, played The Bends, didn't play Knives Out, Pyramid Song is still so incredible, finished with Karma Police at 10:15pm, a song which before i die I'm gonna have to push someone to explain what makes it worthwhile. I didn't feel any connection to anyone when 'for a minute there I lost myself, I lost myself' was being sang way after the band left the stage. Maybe that's why its status as a crowd favourite persists, because it has that catchy singable line. 

Green Day are utter cunts and far from the punks they like to think of themselves as. They refused BBC permission to broadcast their t in the park set a few years ago as they wanted to shift more live DVDs. The only band to ever do so.

7 hours ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

Radiohead in the open at Old Trafford cricket ground. It seems almost entitled to moan, like it's not really an issue in the scheme of things how enjoyable an experience is when the band is that good. Kind of childish to be too precious about it. But 4 years wait, £90, and travelling a few thousand miles to make it..actually that doesn't matter either. Never been to a concert where the crowd so loudly sing along to the lyrics in a laddish way. I was stuck next to the most annoying attention seeking man who wanted everyone to know how much fun he was having, shouting out the names of each band member in between tracks, spinning around, bumping into people, holding his phone up in the air so Alice on the other end could hear a song being played, i couldn't really concentrate on the performance really for most of it. 'You're getting old' ..said my dad. Not really, there was a chorus behind me too but over to my right people were still enjoying the music but not being over the top about it. You can nod, and jump and sing along to the words without being obnoxious and try to make it all about you. 

Music for me greatly improves in the dark, outdoor concerts in the still light evening don't do much. They started with Let Down, played The Bends, didn't play Knives Out, Pyramid Song is still so incredible, finished with Karma Police at 10:15pm, a song which before i die I'm gonna have to push someone to explain what makes it worthwhile. I didn't feel any connection to anyone when 'for a minute there I lost myself, I lost myself' was being sang way after the band left the stage. Maybe that's why its status as a crowd favourite persists, because it has that catchy singable line. 

You've basically described my experience of the stone roses reunion gigs in heaton park, but add in poor infrastructure and a lot of the fans were either scary/off their heads/ both.

• Upvote 1

U2 Joshua Tree Tour, Twickenham. Right at the back, upper level. Still great sound and views.

A lack of bombast and OTT show by U2 standards. Did some early favourites before going into The Joshua Tree in its entirety. Finally "Red Hill Mining Town" gets an airing, a song the band could never figure out how to do live. A subtle rearrangement and it works. "Exit" was brutally brilliant. A highlight. Then a couple of older favourites before Noel Gallagher came on and led "Don't Look Back In Anger" which made my inner Manc proud.

Much more informal a gig than usutand still brilliant,

Also great to see was a young girl in the row in front of us, singing along to every song and dancing. Turns out that she was 12 and it was her first gig and she'd been promised tickets. You can't help but be happy for (and a bit envious of) some young 'un discovering the joy of a live gig by their favourite band.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I was at the U2 show as well (on the pitch, to the right of the B-stage).

It was great. It was nice to hear all of the Joshua Tree. I think Bullet the Blue Sky, Exit and the one new song they played were the highlights. Bono sung the extra lyrics at the end of New Years Day as well which was cool. 

The Noel Gallagher stuff was a bonus, even better was that I went with my sister and she's a massive Oasis/Noel fan. 

• Upvote 1

I was at U2 on Saturday and Sunday. Both great shows, The Joshua Tree stands up incredibly well. 'Exit' was a definite highlight for me as was 'Running to Stand Still'. They've still got it!

u2_1.JPG

u2_2.JPG

u2_3.JPG

• Upvote 2

I didn't realise so many of you would be there!  I was working on the Saturday, so high up at the back in my studio, probably right near @Plissken. Normally packed full of people in there but just little old me this time.

To be honest I'm not a fan of either band and had a bad enough day that I wasn't predisposed to enjoy it (and sitting behind double-glazing certainly doesn't help!), but it was nice to see that the crowd were clearly into it.

IMG_1196.thumb.jpg.8a1312bb3fbd8a588cfa87ce05fa969a.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 05/07/2017 at 02:10, pervent aline perio grow d said:

Karma Police is just one great hook after another - closest thing to a pop song on OK Computer. That's the appeal right there.

Where were you standing? As a counterpoint to your view, I was there as well and had a great time. I suspect expectations might have played into our diverging experiences. I typically don't go to the big concerts, especially outdoor ones - the sound tends to be a bit shit and you get the loutish obnoxious behaviour you describe. The only other time I've seen Radiohead, I had all those same gripes with the crowd and that was in the relatively small venue of Blackpool's Empress Ballroom. So you could say I'd already priced all that shit in.

Unlike the last time, I'd also had a few drinks and was nicely mellow - there's a lot to be said for how much more tolerable other people's antics become in a state of mild intoxication. We ended up next to a couple who kept filming parts of songs they especially liked - typically a concert bugbear of mine, but they were fairly charming and we shared some comments in between songs, so live let and let live.

I suspect you might have been quite near the front? I was in that front standing section but about 2/3rds back, quite central. If anything the people around me seemed relatively docile. Unless... I was one of the obnoxious people? :sherlock:

• Upvote 1

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 00:05, JohnnyNolan said:

Went to see the worlds most dour faced live performer last night. Mr Mark Lanegan. 

Good gig, but fuck me in nearly 30 years of seeing him play live not once had he looked anything other than utterly miserable at having to perform.

I love Mark Lanegan, but ive never had a huge inclination to see him live for the reasons you mention.  I probably should go at somepoint before he snuffs it, just to pay respects

• Upvote 2

Just back from U2 at Croke Park. Crazy crowd, band in very relaxed form and even a flyover during "When The Streets Have No Name".

"One" was done with no lights except the phones of the crowd. Looked and sounded amazing.

• Upvote 1

Just in from Midnight Oil at the Hammersmith... Been waiting for 30 odd years to get to see them , they played a cracking set including the whole of deisel and dust in order.  

Superb! 

• Upvote 1

Spent the evening with some old hairy Texans. Considering they've been playing together with the same line up for over 50 years, they still sound fresh on stage. And they looked like they were enjoying it. Still can't believe the played a venue as small as the O2 Academy. Superb gig :D 

IMG_20170726_215453.thumb.jpg.9c419a38d832b0a6de01f92b79f92a6f.jpg

• Upvote 5

Cross-posted from another forum to save me retyping it.

Metallica - Manchester Arena

OK, so fourth time seeing them and not a little bit of trepidation because the last time, Belfast in 2010, was a Not Very Good Gig.  Back then it was a band stuck with no idea what to do next, just simply playing sold-out shows to thousands of people, having no clue whether to just Play the Hits, or the New Stuff, when the New Stuff was either awful or non-existent.  Yes, they have great songs that they play night after night but it was so by the numbers, going through the motions, that Belfast was show 257 in a worldwide tour of 438.

Seven years later and there is a new album and its not bad.  No classic but Metallica seem revitalised and finally a bit comfortable with themselves.  The new stuff worked and was carefully scattered throughout the set.  When Seek and Destroy came early, the video screens shown loads of old ticket stubs and photos (including from gigs at the Apollo and then-GMex and Nynex which I thought was a good touch). Couple of oldies, couple of new ones, delivered with energy and passion.  A shame that they blitz through "One" so quickly, but then they can play that in five minutes on muscle memory alone.  "Sad But True" was so, so good.  Trujillo and Hammett knocked out a quick version of "Don't Look Back In Anger' for the crowd to sing along to, which could have been cringey and cliched, especially for a band as earnest as Metallica.  But they got away with it.  It's good to see them rediscover the idea of fun once more.  Yes, Lars is an arse and Jaymz is a prick but all they ever wanted to be was liked and appreciated and after selling several bajillion records I think they realise that they got there.

Side note: First time back at the Arena since the bombing.  It's a special place for me and the Mrs - we met there, we've been there several hundred times for shows and hockey games, worked backstage on stuff.  I jokingly call it "our church" because it's where we regularly go to worship.  They've done a good job of redecorating and not one person griped about the airport style security in place. Being in that concourse was simultaneously unsettling yet reassuringly familiar.  For an area with a few hundred people in, it was very quiet.  But on the way out, walking back out through that same area, everyone high on the adrenaline of gig and things were back to normal again.

• Upvote 2

On way home from seeing Kenny Wayne Shepherd at Indigo O2. Expensive weekend with hotels, food and drink but it was worth it. Such an amazing band - saw them for the first time at Ramblin' 'Man earlier in the summer and was blown away. Shame Government Mule were a bit dull after KWS.

IMG_0574.JPG

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Shame Government Mule were a bit dull after KWS.

Saw Gov't Mule on Tuesday. Let's just say it was a subdued gig (and a strange, small venue). Not the best set list I've seen, still enjoyed though.

2 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Saw Gov't Mule on Tuesday. Let's just say it was a subdued gig (and a strange, small venue). Not the best set list I've seen, still enjoyed though.

Everyone else was well into them but as you say they were very low-key. I think I used up all my energy and enthusiasm on KWS. Think it would have been better if had come on second.

• Upvote 1

So my Da went to this couple of days ago.

IMG_3543.PNG.658cf1cabaa50a77f2b92359c00f8918.PNG

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2017/classical-spectacular-2/

What a line up! 1812 Overture with cannons to end :wub: I'd have died. 

TWENTY FIVE FUCKING QUID for tickets!!? Is that all?? I'm going to one a month at that price!

(Big classical music fan; sorry it's not something more current lol.)

....I gotta get me some Zimmer tickets. 

• Upvote 1

Busy December for me, I am taking my 10yr old to see Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday 8 December then out to see Marylin Manson on Saturday 9 December as SSE Wembly Arena (with friends, 10yrs old is a little too early for MM). I hope to get some OK pics, still not sorted my gig camera issue :), will report back in a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

Goingbto see Five Finger Death Punch in Glasgow in a couple of weeks and i cant bloody wait. Seen them before and they were impressive and had a ticket for another but couldnt make it, so im not missing out this time. Only second gig ive been to this year, got offered a short notice ticket to Blink 182 but wasnt possible. [\ramble]

• Upvote 1

On 29/11/2017 at 03:57, Still-life said:

Busy December for me, I am taking my 10yr old to see Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall on Friday 8 December then out to see Marylin Manson on Saturday 9 December as SSE Wembly Arena (with friends, 10yrs old is a little too early for MM). I hope to get some OK pics, still not sorted my gig camera issue :), will report back in a few weeks.

I've just kicked off my five gigs in 11 days . I saw Beans On Toast last night, then have The Darkness on Sunday in Norwich, Marilyn Manson in Wolverhampton on Wednesday, Manson in London next Saturday and then The Darkness in London next Sunday. Plus got Greg Davies stand up tour next Thursday, as if all that wasn't enough!

Couple of recent gigs - Juice Crew at the Forum and last night I saw Martha High at Under The Bridge.  She was supported by these guys who are now my favourite Japanese funk band :P

Juice Crew were phenomenal; Kane and Shante especially.  And Martha High/Osaka Monaurail were amazing.  She's 72 and still has a voice like you wouldn't believe.

Saw Mastodon at Manchester Academy last night.  Russian Circles were on first, and while I dig what they played, I'm not sure it quite fitted a live gig setting - drummer had some quality atmospheric fan-blown hair thing going on.  Red Fang on second - I found them bland. Mastodon played really well and did some crowd-pleasers like Blood and Thunder and Colony of Birchmen among the newer stuff. But it was all just a little bit dull if I'm being brutally honest.  They didn't really do or say much, just stood there and played song after song, albeit very well.  Brann did come out and give a bit of a chat after they'd finished, but that was about it.  They're super-tight, and had some rad visuals going on in the background, but it just didn't have the performace spark of some of the best live bands I've seen like Clutch or Type-O.  I'm glad I saw them, but I wouldn't rush out to catch them play again.

Amazingly, Gary Numan is playing the Isle of Man next spring.  I've got tickets already.  Can't wait.