VN1X

Enter the Gungeon - Advanced Gungeons & Draguns available now!

logo.png

by Dodge Roll Games

Official Site

GoG | Steam | Humble | PS4

Release Date: April 5th 2016

ABOUT

Enter the Gungeon is a bullet hell dungeon crawler following a band of misfits seeking to shoot, loot, dodge roll and table-flip their way to personal absolution by reaching the legendary Gungeon’s ultimate treasure: the gun that can kill the past. Select a hero [or team up in co-op] and battle your way to the bottom of the Gungeon by surviving a challenging and evolving series of floors filled with the dangerously adorable Gundead and fearsome Gungeon bosses armed to the teeth. Gather precious loot, discover hidden secrets, and chat with opportunistic merchants and shopkeepers to purchase powerful items to gain an edge. 

The Gungeon: Enter the Gungeon – a constantly evolving bullet hell fortress that elegantly blends meticulously hand-designed rooms within a procedurally-generated labyrinth bent on destroying all that enter its walls. But beware – the Gungeon responds to even the most modest victory against its sentries and traps by raising the stakes and the challenges found within! 

The Cult of the Gundead: The Gungeon isn’t just traps and chasms – calm your nerves and steady your aim as you face down the gun-totting Cult of the Gundead. These disciples of the gun will stop at nothing to put down the heroes in their tracks and employ any tactics necessary to defend their temple. 

The Gungeoneers: Choose between one of several unlikely heroes, each burdened by a deep regret and in search of a way to change their past, no matter the cost. Filled with equal parts courage and desperation, these adventurers won’t hesitate to dive across flaming walls, roll through a wall of bullets, or take cover behind whatever is around to make it to their goal alive! 

The Guns: Discover and unlock scores of uniquely fantastic guns to annihilate all that oppose you in the Gungeon – each carrying their own unique tactics and ammunition. Unleash everything from the tried and true medley of missiles, lasers, and cannonballs to the bizarrely effective volley of rainbows, fish, foam darts, and bees! Yep, bees.

IMAGES

Spoiler

screenshot1.png

ss_4ffa6179076975f7a50ab72a6af52a1d817a4

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

screenshot6.png

HDdjnFt.gif 

GIF4.gif

GIF3.gif

GIF1.gif

VIDEOS

Spoiler

Already got my pre-order in as this is looking like it could be a bit good!  Also this bullet is wearing a bandana: Bandana_Bullet_Kin.png?version=897057c6b

• Upvote 2

This looks ridiculously lovely. Got a friend's birthday coming up so I'm gonna get him this and some beer and grub and we're gonna sit down to a proper old school couch co-op session. The PS4 is so good for this kind of thing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

If this has the crazy stackable abilities like The Binding Of Isaac then I'm in.

Check the third video. I believe there are like 200 weapons, 100 consumable items and a truckload of passive/active abilities as well. I don't think you have to drop weapons either! :omg: 

Games Radar Impressions

Enter the Gungeon combines the randomness of roguelikes and the screen-filling orbs of death found in the most chaotic bullet hell imaginable, and wraps it all up in a charmingly hilarious package that will have you grinning from ear to ear - even when you bite the bullet.

I finally get it. After years of beating my head against games like The Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, and so many of these procedurally generated dungeon crawlers - also known as 'roguelikes', named as such due to the concepts they borrow from a 1980s dungeon generator called Rogue - I've finally found one that's pulled me in almost instantly. It's called Enter the Gungeon, and while I'm only a few hours in, I'm finding that its adorable veneer hides a tough-as-nails challenge that continuously rewards you the more that you play it, combining the randomness of roguelikes with the skillset demanded by the most grueling bullet hell shooters.

There are a few core ideas behind any roguelike, and Enter the Gungeon is no different. You pick from a handful of characters, each one with a handful of weapons and items unique to them - the Pilot has a lockpick which gives him a random chance to open a treasure chest without a key, for example, while the Hunter's dog has a higher chance of finding items in each room - and each one with a specific reason why they're heading into the Gungeon, in search of a weapon that can kill the past. You then begin your run on the first floor, with its layout, enemies, and rewards arranged randomly each time you play. As you make your way through this maze of rooms and corridors, you'll gain money which you can spend in a shop found somewhere on each floor, and use the various items and weapons you find or purchase to defeat each floor's boss in order to descend to the next floor. Repeat until you win - or, more likely, die, thus losing all of your progress and items gained up to that point.

It seems counterintuitive to put so much effort into devising a system where character upgrades are so impermanent, but roguelikes - and Enter the Gungeon, specifically - are all about making the best of the hand you're dealt. Sometimes you'll have a great run, and you'll get every item that you need to blast through the opposition. Other times, you'll get swarmed in the first room, and your run will be shot down before it ever gets off the ground. That's just how these things go when you play a game built around random generation.

Enter the Gungeon's real reward, then, is knowledge. Experience. Memorization. Each time you die, you learn a little bit more about what the items and guns you pick up actually do (all hand-crafted and filled with hilarious lore you can read in an in-game glossary called the Ammonomicon once you pick them up). You learn how the rooms fit together and the best ways to navigate them. You also learn what the enemy's bullet patterns are, the best way to flip tables to give yourself some cover, and how to dodge-roll through seemingly endless streams of gunfire - because Enter the Gungeon is as much a bullet hell, inspired by great 'shmup' classics like Ikaruga, as it is roguelikes like Binding of Isaac. The first time you come up against Gatling Gull at the end of a level (inspired by Vulcan Raven from Metal Gear Solid, but as an actual raven), you're probably going to get trounced. After the third or fourth time, you're weaving around its bullets like a pro, taking it out in record time.

These are all things that exist within roguelike masterpieces like Binding of Isaac or Nuclear Throne, but Enter the Gungeon marries its permadeath challenge with a charming, pixel art style and an unabashedly goofy sense of humor. The enemies are bullets with cartoony smiley faces permanently affixed on their shell casing torsos, shooting you with the pistols, shotguns, and AK-47s they're holding in their adorable hands. The weapons you find range from the conventional, to the ridiculously powerful, to the downright bizarre. One run, I found a gun which transforms enemies into chickens if you shoot them enough. I also found a T-Shirt Cannon. It fires T-shirts in rapid succession, knocking opponents back and leaving piles of pink T-shirts on the ground in your wake. There's also a weapon called the Gungeon Ant, which alternates between shooting oil on the ground, and flammable bullets each time you reload. To reveal any more about the game's numerous and increasingly wacky guns would be spoiling most of the fun. Suffice it to say that most waffle between being incredibly useful and absolutely ridiculous, but all are a blast to use.

The more you play, the more you learn how all these pieces fit together, and the better you get at besting its challenges. You also earn a special currency which lets you fill out your armory with even more inventive and powerful weaponry - but like everything else in the game, you have to earn the privilege to do so before you can spend a dime. Enter the Gungeon doesn't reveal its secrets willingly, but putting in the effort reveals a wealth of new opportunities.

I've probably spent a dozen hours over the weekend playing Enter the Gungeon on PS4, and I could easily spend several dozen more playing this game, learning its quirks, and uncovering its myriad secrets. There's always something to master, some new weapon to find and exploit - and one of them might just happen to be a banana, which explodes into three additional exploding bananas. If there's any other roguelike with such a potassium-rich weapon of mass destruction, I haven't heard of it.

Just 6 more hours... *twiddles thumbs*

And that's my first run done and by golly it's been well worth the wait so far! The writing is great (definitely speak to Ser Manual a few times during the tutorial bits) and the action feels like everything I wanted Binding of Isaac to be. It's so snappy and explosive, I love it! 

YmeEg33.jpg

The intro + title screen are fucking amazing btw. :D 

4 tries and not made it passed the second floor as I keep dying on the boss there. Good times. :D

The weapons are sooo good. During my last run I happened upon a t-shirt launcher. Yes, that's right a t-shirt launcher. It launches t-shirts which then stick to the enemies and I believe some times even blinds them? 

Only 90 minutes in but this is already a cracking game. 

I saw this quite a while back on a YT video maybe 7 or 8 months ago. I never realised it was an unreleased game though until now. Looks excellent fun though.

Fuck me this is hard. Can't even get passed the first floor unscathed this morning. I will come back later Gungeon... I will have your riches! 

Yeah it's really brutal almost straight away, certainly harder than Isaac's starting levels.

I can get past Floor 1 consistently but it really ramps up then. I just hope I have enough skill to progress.

The game is very much an Isaac clone minus the unsettling aesthetic and with guns. Hopefully it has that game's depth but I also hope that the difficulty barrier lowers a bit once I've gotten used to it. It tells you straight away what all items do (via a quick menu check) so it doesn't have the same mystery as Isaac but as someone who struggled to get into that game I think I prefer that.

I've been clamoring for a Binding of Isaac clone that leaves the disturbing aesthetic aside, and this seems to be just the ticket. Played an hour or so last night, and my experience seems to match others' so far: Made it to floor 2 but no further, hoping I have the skill to make decent progress once I adjust.

The music doesn't seem up to much (on floor 1, at least), but I'm probably being unfair coming to this off the back of Necrodancer. Other than that this seems a lovely, lovely game.

Yup this is good, just reached level 3 and died on the boss. Had a banana gun which was awesome and still finding lots of new loot/power-ups as I play. I find the hitbox a bit to big, weaving through bullet patterns feels too hard at the moment. Looking forward to some co-op action soon.

20160406143552_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Quite interesting, it's actually 3D. Also why it's not likely to be coming to Vita :( Shame really, it's the perfect platform for games like this.

• Upvote 1

This is so, so good!

Got to the third boss and nearly had it. Things really ramp up in the mines! Feel like I'm learning and getting better with each play though and I've already had more fun than I did with Isaac.

• Upvote 3

And made it to the Oubliette just now (wherever that may lead to) but took too much damage and done goofed. Gah! This game is a cruel mistress. 

Loving this game. Laughed out loud when I got a 

Spoiler

light gun that looks like a Zapper and shoots Duck Hunt ducks

Question: How do I 

Spoiler

feed those green things in the room with the shop keeper?

• Upvote 1

This just gets better and better. Level 4 is so intense!

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Loving this game. Laughed out loud when I got a 

Reveal hidden contents

light gun that looks like a Zapper and shoots Duck Hunt ducks

Question: How do I 

Hide contents

feed those green things in the room with the shop keeper?

Map screen, drop command is at the top left, triangle I think. 

• Upvote 1