jonamok

Your personal VR experiences

Another Virtuality in the Troc back in the 90s for me (the days of Jaron Lanier - remember him?).

Was the stompy robot game set in the city (more like a small village with very tall buildings) and I destroyed the opposition - which made me feel bad, because they were like, somebody's dad and some teenage girl. I loved it but it was incredibly clunky.

Talk about 20-odd years too soon. But heck, just look at the difference in basic computer graphics now, versus back then.

Legend Quest, Nottingham, early 90s. 

Best thing about it was the machines being situated in front of the windows, so any passers by could have a giggle at the flailing customers.

• Upvote 2

I'm yet another one who had a go at the Trocadero at Piccadilly. It was in the summer of 1993 as I was down there to see Depeche Mode live at Crystal Palace sportsground. I also went to see Jurassic Park at the Trocadero while I was there.

I'm quite short sighted, at that point probably around -3 to -4 prescription. For some reason the VR guy recommended I take my glasses off and it was all a blocky, janky, blurry mess. Certainly based on that I'd pretty much written it off as the kind of thing you'd only ever see mentioned in 90s sci-fi novels.

Obviously the new gen is a world away from those crappy days, but are the latest devices compatible with dodgy eyesight, can you wear glasses with them?

I'm now at that delicate age where I'm starting to be both long and short sighted, I can wear contacts for my short sightedness, but they stop me being able to read things that are close up. My glasses have varifocal lenses. How does modern VR cope with that?

I'm yet another one who had a go at the Trocadero at Piccadilly. It was in the summer of 1993 as I was down there to see Depeche Mode live at Crystal Palace sportsground. I also went to see Jurassic Park at the Trocadero while I was there.

I'm quite short sighted, at that point probably around -3 to -4 prescription. For some reason the VR guy recommended I take my glasses off and it was all a blocky, janky, blurry mess. Certainly based on that I'd pretty much written it off as the kind of thing you'd only ever see mentioned in 90s sci-fi novels.

Obviously the new gen is a world away from those crappy days, but are the latest devices compatible with dodgy eyesight, can you wear glasses with them?

I'm now at that delicate age where I'm starting to be both long and short sighted, I can wear contacts for my short sightedness, but they stop me being able to read things that are close up. My glasses have varifocal lenses. How does modern VR cope with that?

Personally found the Vive was absolutely fine with specs. Mine are relatively normal-sized lenses, though rimless. The 'face-foam' had cut outs each side to let the handles bit of the specs pass through.

4 hours ago, jiroczech said:

Heh! The place in a basement on Broughton Street? I remember that. That's where I first tried VR too.

Yeah, that was the one.

I thought the headsets would have lense focus built into them so you could tune them to your own prescription like binoculars, so you wouldn't have to wear specs.

Went on Galatica today at Alton Towers.

https://www.galacticatours.com/

It's... interesting. The headsets are modified Gear VRs and are attached to the seats, and while you can refuse to wear them, it's not encouraged. Once strapped in (it's the old Air ride for those that know - so it's a coaster where you sit in with your legs dangling, then the ride tips you so you're facing the ground and you "fly" around the circuit). you wait for a ride assistant to come along and help you into your headset. I don't think that they're big enough to wear glasses, but there is a focus wheel on the top of the unit and there are headphones built into it.

The first thing you see in your headset is a brief picture of how to adjust them, for different sized heads and the focus wheel. Then the view changes, as the ride starts and you view a tunnel, that the floor then drops away from and you're in a sort of space port, on a craft on it's way to the exit. During this time the ride has started, taking you out of the station and onto the climb at the beginning. Then when you hit the top and the ride starts properly you go through a "portal" and are transported to another place. You go through several portals during the ride, each time being transported to another realm or place; albeit all very much in space. 

First up, it works very well, the video and movement of the ride are tightly coupled and it works wonderfully to convince you that you're somewhere else. The assistants clean every headset straight after they take them off the previous guest AND before you put them on which got a thumbs up from me. The ride just doesn't feel like Air anymore, I've ridden Air enough to pretty much remember all it's various loops and twists and I could sort of recall them whilst going round, but it was really like a completely different ride. The VR worked well, although there was a slight bounding box that you could see if you looked too far one way or the other and the graphics weren't incredible, but I wasn't expecting them to blow my mind. I struggled to get it focused exactly as I'd like, something I also expected as I am a glasses wearer due to astigmatism. The unit also pinched my nose more than I'd liked!

It's biggest problem though was the design of the video, the ride is too short and the portal concept too quick, switching between areas before you've even gotten a handle on them. Probably the best part was when you "witnessed a star being born" which basically was like flying through a lava tunnel. It was great, you swished this way and that and could really appreciate the movement of the ride combined with what your were seeing, but you were there for about ten seconds and then it switched to some other area that I can hardly remember. 

All advertising bumpf around the ride seems to indicate that there will be different "destinations" coming soon and that they may randomise or mix them up so multiple journeys can be had on the same ride. I'd like to have a selection process at the beginning of the ride where you get a selection of choices and simply turn your head towards the one that you'd like to go on.

Both me and my daughter came off it buzzing though, we had just experienced something that will only get better and better and if they can start making longer journeys through singular areas I think it'd be much improved. It felt like it was trying too hard to do everything that it could in this first VR trip. I'm sure it can be done better and hope that AT take this onboard as they look to refine the experience. 

Want to know a bit more of the technical stuff?

• Upvote 4

At the opposite end of the spectrum to the Vive, been playing with a Google Cardboard today for a work-related thing. As a mass market intro to VR they are a bit worrying. Trying to watch 3d video is pretty ropey and I did feel some mild nausea after only a few seconds. Even on a fast phone like a 6S there was stuttering. Compared to zero discomfort after 20 mins in the Vive.

Basically we need to get real VR like the Rift, Vive and PSVR onto people's faces as fast as bloody possible.

[Sorry for the stealth bump]

• Upvote 1

Lol at the exagarrated movements of the guys wearing the headset.  Nevertheless the headset looks legit and way ahead of its time.  I see where Oculus got the intergrated headphone idea.

Is anyone else here using an HDK?  I got mine this monday, it took a day to get things working. I would'nt recommend the HDK to anyone unless you're prepared to spend hours downloading, installing, configuring etc, this thing ain't consumer ready. I can't play games that only support the Rift(for now) but I can play games that support the Vive as long as they can be played seated with a controller.

Anyway I have been playing alot of Windlands today, everything just clicked and now I love it, no sick feelings just pleasurable swinging and wall jumping. Really enjoyable to look around for a route to where you want to go and then jumping into the air hoping to reach that grapple point to then swing like Spiderman to the next grapple point into a wall, wall jump, grapple and jump then land like a badass, feels good and very zen like. I've done the jungle and now tackling the city world, wasn't getting on with the game for long a time but now I get it, anyone else playing it?

13 hours ago, simms said:

Lol at the exagarrated movements of the guys wearing the headset. 

That's called awful acting. That thing is clearly complete fantasy from Sega.

best quote: "I thought I was going to have to wait until I wasreally old, like thirty to experience VR" - some teenage actor. That guy would be "like 45" + now. :)

On 20/04/2016 at 6:33 PM, jonamok said:

At the opposite end of the spectrum to the Vive, been playing with a Google Cardboard today for a work-related thing. As a mass market intro to VR they are a bit worrying. Trying to watch 3d video is pretty ropey and I did feel some mild nausea after only a few seconds. Even on a fast phone like a 6S there was stuttering. Compared to zero discomfort after 20 mins in the Vive.

Basically we need to get real VR like the Rift, Vive and PSVR onto people's faces as fast as bloody possible.

[Sorry for the stealth bump]

Shame to hear Carboard's a bit of a letdown.

I sadly never had a go in one of those Virtuality rigs back in the day. If they were a little ropey - could Cardboard make a stab at emulating them?

As made the iOS to Droid switch I'll still check Cardboard out. Sucker for gadgety stuff.

I bought a Oculus DK2 when they were out. I think one of the first things I looked at rather than the config screen was the Tuscany demo. Looking around was amazing, when I started to move however I had to close my eyes or remove the headset completely as it did make me feel unwell. However, as most people say it is something you do adjust to and I had no problems after a short time.

If you only try these things out for a short time I can see why some people write it off. The screen door effect didn't bother me too much but the screen did seem a little washed out but I do think VR is now ready and we will see improvements in the future.

I can think of three demos on the rift that really did the presence of VR well. The first is cyberspace, it looks such a simple demo but when that ride swings back and you are looking at the ground it perfectly captured the feeling weightless for a moment effect you would expect from a similar ride in real life.

Second was the red of paw demo where the head tracking allows you to look around things on the shelves, probably a good demo to start people off on.

And of course the battle of endor demo, looking behind you and seeing R2D2! For some reason I could not run this with juddering after some update and could never get it back working properly again. If I did I probably would not have sold the DK2.

I'd like to get a vive at the moment but think I will do another round of graphics card upgrades first and let the price drop a bit.

• Upvote 1

"One second I was stood in Bolton, the next I was in an infinite white space, with grid markers on the floor etc,"

It's what we all want when we're in Bolton

I live in Bolton :P

• Upvote 1

We've got The Star Wars Trials of Tatooine thing setup today at work for May 4th. 

Gonna go down to try in a bit. When I first played the vive with the controllers, the first thing I thought was it would be perfect for a lightsaber so I'm cautiously optimistic!

Sorry if this isn't the best thread to ask this but it's the best the search results came up with.

I set up Google Cardboard today and it's really blurry. Is it supposed to be? For a tenner I can hardly complain - I wasn't expecting much - but I don't see people mentioning blurriness in their reviews. On-screen text is worst of all - ghosting and double-vision as well as general smudginess. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it is?

I'm also finding it much more impressive without the cardboard goggles on. As in, just moving the phone about with my hands, using gyro controls to shift the camera, and watching it on my phone like I would any other video. The image quality is way better. As soon as I put the goggles on, it's just blurry and low quality and I can make out the edges of the cardboard - certainly doesn't feel like I'm 'there'. It makes 1080p VR mp4s look like standard definition video or something. Presumably the Rift and other proper VR headsets resolve all these problems.

I played the Portal demo on Vive a few months ago. Friend of mine works for Bossa Studios (Surgeon Simulator etc) so I had a go on the dev kit in their office.

It was superb. The tracking was spot-on at all times and in every axis of movement - I never felt like I needed to adjust or recentre the view. I think my friend was following me around managing the tether for me, and she also gave me hints every now and again if I looked like I was confused (as the spectators can watch on the PC monitor).

I wear glasses and the fit wasn't super comfortable but it was manageable. Sort of smooshed the bridge pads into my nose a bit. It was OK for the short duration of the demo but if I were going to be spending any longer with it, I'd definitely put my contacts in.

The sense of scale was really surprising. There's a bit when

Spoiler

the walls of your little room open up to reveal a huge environment

and the effect is stunning.

Absolutely no issues with nausea, but then I have never ever suffered from any kind of motion sickness, even on very rough seas when people all around me were throwing up. I think it's something that some people are just basically immune to.

In short, I really really want one, and if I had the space and the money nothing would stop me.

• Upvote 1

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 2:21 PM, ann coulter said:

Sorry if this isn't the best thread to ask this but it's the best the search results came up with.

I set up Google Cardboard today and it's really blurry. Is it supposed to be? For a tenner I can hardly complain - I wasn't expecting much - but I don't see people mentioning blurriness in their reviews. On-screen text is worst of all - ghosting and double-vision as well as general smudginess. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it is?

I'm also finding it much more impressive without the cardboard goggles on. As in, just moving the phone about with my hands, using gyro controls to shift the camera, and watching it on my phone like I would any other video. The image quality is way better. As soon as I put the goggles on, it's just blurry and low quality and I can make out the edges of the cardboard - certainly doesn't feel like I'm 'there'. It makes 1080p VR mp4s look like standard definition video or something. Presumably the Rift and other proper VR headsets resolve all these problems.

You'll inevitably lose half the resolution along one axis from dividing the screen, plus a bit more for the black borders/vignettes.

I certainly haven't noticed mine being blurry, though. Relatively blocky and a bit screen-door-y, but not blurry. They're clearly-defined blocks, as it were.

I would suspect something is amiss with the lenses and/or their positioning. Did you assemble the thing yourself or did it come pre-made?

On 21 May 2016 at 2:21 PM, ann coulter said:

It will inevitably be a little bit blurry, but it shouldn't really stop you from experiencing things properly. Shouldn't be any double vision.

Make sure your pupillary distance is set up correctly - I should think moving the lenses closer together should alleviate double vision. Also make sure your lenses (and the phone) are nice and clean. Lastly, make sure you look up your headset QR code and scan that into Cardboard. It tells it certain parameters and makes the whole thing far more effective. If there isn't one with your headset you'll have to search around a bit. I found mine here:

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/faq/vr-headset-qr-codes/

I got one of those cheap mobile phone VR sets. It works okay but it's nothing like the quality of Oculus Rift.

For a start the image doesn't stretch round your entire vision. It's pretty much just a box in front of your eyes. Also, the refresh rate is pretty terrible so if you move your head too much it goes a bit jerky. Playing 1080p videos makes it more like 480p from my experiences.

All in all, i think it kinda ruins the image of VR because the Oculus rift is so much better. But for a gimmick mobile vr headsets are okay for a bit of fun.

2 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

You'll inevitably lose half the resolution along one axis from dividing the screen, plus a bit more for the black borders/vignettes.

I certainly haven't noticed mine being blurry, though. Relatively blocky and a bit screen-door-y, but not blurry. They're clearly-defined blocks, as it were.

I would suspect something is amiss with the lenses and/or their positioning. Did you assemble the thing yourself or did it come pre-made?

It came pre-made. I just had to fold a few bits into place. It's mostly the text that's blurred - reading menus is horrible, kind of like using the 3DS with the 3D on.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

It will inevitably be a little bit blurry, but it shouldn't really stop you from experiencing things properly. Shouldn't be any double vision.

Make sure your pupillary distance is set up correctly - I should think moving the lenses closer together should alleviate double vision. Also make sure your lenses (and the phone) are nice and clean. Lastly, make sure you look up your headset QR code and scan that into Cardboard. It tells it certain parameters and makes the whole thing far more effective. If there isn't one with your headset you'll have to search around a bit. I found mine here:

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/faq/vr-headset-qr-codes/

Hmm, I'm not sure we're talking about the same things. The lenses in my cardboard headset are fixed, I think. Can't move them closer together, as far as I know. And yeah, I used the QR code to configure it correctly.

11 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Hmm, I'm not sure we're talking about the same things. The lenses in my cardboard headset are fixed, I think. Can't move them closer together, as far as I know. And yeah, I used the QR code to configure it correctly.

Which headset are you using?

8 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

That's unfortunate. I bought one for about £8 from China which is quite good. Took about 2 weeks to arrive but has the ability to adjust pupillary distance, decent headstrap, etc.