jonamok

Your personal VR experiences

I had a go of a vr headset while at Psygnosis in 1993. What impressed me most was the motion sensing joystick that was really sensitive, but worked amazingly well once you got the hang of it. Then I was sick in a bin.

• Upvote 3

I played that one in the Trocadero in the late Eighties...I think you ran around a city trying to shoot a someone else. And there used to be a Harrier Jump Jet VR simulator in the arcade at Weson Super Mare, that was pretty good.

Played one of the Virtuality arcade games in the early '90s, which according to my research was VTOL. The weight of the headset on my delicate pre-teen skull prevented me from lifting my head properly, so I couldn't looking forwards during gameplay. I couldn't visually focus on anything properly either, so it wouldn't have helped much if I'd been able to lift my head. I wasn't physically sick afterwards, but felt like I was close to it, and certainly lost my appetite for the rest of the day.

I've never used a VR headset since, and have no wish to.

My VR experiences are restricted to Google Cardboard apps with a cheap headset.

Everything is a bit blurry but the sense of scale achievable is great. There are two apps in particular which make it worthwhile - VRSE and Cmoar VR Cinema.

• Upvote 1

Had 2 experiences, one old, one modern.

Some guys opened a VR-only arcade in Edinburgh about 96 with virtuality machines. 4 iirc and the hand control pucks. Me n 3 mates played Doom, they were ill and stopped after a few mins. I felt okay and played Descent then was ill for the rest of the day.

About a month ago I was round my mates who has a high spec phone and google cardboard. Tried the planets thing, was pretty cool, but obviously blurry. Only a novelty.

I'm excited for when Vive is cheap. I already am a third into the green on the Steam VR test, and reckon a new processor and mobo is on the horizon in the next year. Could easily disassemble my dining set to use that space - it's 2.6 x 2.1m. Wonder if that's a decent enough size?

I played something at the GameOn exhibition in Newcastle last year. Oculus Rift or something. Some sort of F-Zero wish it was, which was appropriately nausea inducing. 

Best bit, looking down and realising I had teh VR boobz. Amazing. 

• Upvote 1

Played the one with Pterodactyls at Trocadero in the early 90s.

Got a Google Cardboard last year and then a Gear VR in January and have had a great time with it, played it a lot when I first got it, but have got to the point where I'm a bit bored with  3D videos, and only use it occasionally now, mainly to show it off to different people that came round. I've spent a fair bit on apps from the store and played most of the highly rated games, which are great but a little bit simplistic still, due to it still being early days. Had a great time with it just last night actually when a few friends came over for drinks 'n' smokes, and passing round the Gear VR. 

Went to another exhibition last week and played on a whole load of different headsets and apps, however it was a leisure industry and commerce focused event rather than a gaming event so lots of the virtual worlds were very mundane - kitchens, building sites, a hospital operating theatre, rather than the fantastic and atmospheric landscapes I want to be exploring. I went there mainly to make contacts though, for a VR business. 

I'm building a PC at the moment that will be ready for top-end home VR when it's available, and also putting serious time in with a group of friends and colleagues planning the business, which at the moment involves us pooling our resources to try to build a serious VR studio in a commercial premises. Then we will work out if we can make money out of it. Maybe people will pay to come and have a go, or maybe we could hire it to businesses which sell VR solutions B2B, to demo to their clients. Anyone thinking about working as a VR consultant?

• Upvote 1

My first VR experience was at Epcot in the early '90s where they had these heavy VR helmets linked up to SGI machines, and big chairs with controls attached to the arms - a joystick and a throttle control iirc.  I played a game of pool, as the cue ball, I don't really remember much about it.  Was kind of cool, wasn't like anything I'd played before.

More Disney things later in the '90s, things like Disney Quest where they had stuff like a VR magic carpet ride, Aladdin themed obviously, and some other things.  It was theme park stuff, we'd seen an attempt at consumer VR Coke and go by then.  More impressive was their room VR type systems, which are rear projected and 3D (Imagineering consider them akin to VR, there's a good talk from last year's GDC by on of the Imagineers on Disney's VR experience) with glasses.  For example there's a Pirates of the Caribean one where your group crew a physical ship (steer it, fire cannons) in on of these rooms.

I tried the Occulus DK1 when it got sent out to Kickstarter backers, honestly I wasn't that impressed.  It didn't seem like anything I hadn't seen before and a novelty.

I've played quite a bit with the PSVR and I'm not sure what I can and cannot talk about.  Put it this way, PSVR makes me believe VR can be a viable product and one of the ways we game in the future - not the only way mind you.

I think the danger will come from people trying to make everything for VR, I'm not interested in playing the same stuff over again but in VR.  I want experiences I can only have in/are best suited to VR.  I expect like motion control & touch many of the first things will be simple interactions which are great because of the novelty of doing it in VR (a GDC talk from one of the PSVR guys last year made the same point), and as time goes on we'll learn what does and doesn't work with it.

I know a few people who got their hands on Vives, need to have a shot with one of those.

• Upvote 2

That's video not games. Games CAN work but this generation of tech just isn't good enough on any platform. And there are no games. 

It will go the way of 3D TV/Kinect unless it can sustain something special. And be better. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry wrong thread and I can't delete/edit on my phone.

Anyway my first experience of VR was at the car show at the NEC in Birmingham, my dad dragged me along for some work thing or maybe it was a Top Gear thing but anyway it was all very boring. After seeing all of the exciting things about VR (mostly Andy Crane on Bad Influence) we came across the Audi stand and they had the whole 90's VR set up. I begged my Dad for a go and he said yes and I got to look around an Audi car sort of. 

I had a go on the Samsung Gear last week and it was proper shizen housen.

I'll wait until I get my hands on something better before passing judgement.

First tried out some virtual reality machine back in early 90s. Huge ring that you had to stand inside whilst wearing the massive helmet. All I remember about the game was that it was some kind of arena based shooter. You had to find andshoot your opponent. I can distinctly remember hearing "watch out - The Bear- he's behind you!" Running through my lugs as I tried to hunt down my opponent. For a 12 ish year old with a c64 at home it was an amazing experience. 

I've now ordered a psvr and can't wait to be experiencing crashes in my own home. I think if you told my younger self that I'd be using vr in my home when I grew up it'd blow my mind! Roll on October!

think if pt was played in vr I'd shit my pants.

• Upvote 1

Troc in the 90s on the stompy robot game running on the Silicon Graphics kit and last year an occulus playing mirrors edge on a Sky stand in Bluewater shopping centre. It was probably the DK1 as it pretty underwhelming due to the fact I felt as was looking at a pixelated screen.

Im going to wait and check out a PSVR before jumping onboard as I want to experience the quality of it and make sure it's got more than mini games supporting it.

This quote from The Bag, above: "Put it this way, PSVR makes me believe VR can be a viable product and one of the ways we game in the future" makes me very happy.

My only even kind of experience with VR was seeing it at Gamesmaster Live in the early nineties - about 92-93 I think.  And while I did get to meet Domonic Diamond very briefly, I didn't get to play it, as while they had quite a few set up in a decent sized area, the queue for them was hours long because each person was on for about 10 mins at a time.  So the queue barely moved.

They did have screens set up so you could see the games being played, which were basically a series of blocks moving around and not really looking like what they were supposed to.  At the time 3D still wasn't really seen in games - I'm sure the only things I had to compare it to was 3D stuff on the Amiga, which was even more basic - so it looked incredible.  I remember people coming out of it being all "oh, it's like you're in the game!".  People then were amazed despite it looking a little janky, having nothing with textures on, and it looking like there was input lag.

i just imagine going back to then with a Rift or a Vive, showing them Alien Isolation in VR and them burning you for being a fucking witch.

I wrote my dissertation back in the early nineties on the moral and ethical implications of Virtual Reality. While I traveled down to London to have a go on the Virtuality stuff (hugely disappointing at the time), I was really looking into how it might shape things in years to come. I feel a lot of what I talked about at the time (from what I remember) will still be relevant in the coming years....I just wasn't expecting it to take us this long to get here. But I do feel that apart from all of the excitement of possibilities on the horizon as the technology improves we will seriously start needing to look at what is acceptable and not acceptable the more 'real' an experience becomes. But of course I am beyond excited at all of the incredible possibilities on the horizon, not just for gaming but for education, science, medicine and various forms of entertainment beyond gaming.

I got a DK1 very early on, have been through the whole 'find my VR legs thing' and for me at least, I did acclimatise over a period of time. And I definitely felt presence on a few occassions, even with the DK1. However, that is never going to happen in a demo environment in a shop somewhere with someone talking in your ear. I remember a demo called 'First Law' on the DK1 which was simply flying in a pretty basic spaceship between some pretty basic asteroids and for a moment I was transported to another point in the universe. In the case of that particular demo there were a number of things I realised (after trying out so many things) that it got right. Scale (the asteroids seemed like the size of houses), speed of movement, being in a cockpit of some kind, being in space (the darkness of space melted into the edge of my FOV so that I didn't really notice the edges), the blackness of space also helped minimize the screen door effect. But it was also my environment, I was sat on the sofa using my laptop to power it all, in a darkened room, with headphones pumping the ambient noise of the ship....and for a moment it was magical and wonderous and I knew that it WORKED. Not often at that stage and there were many terrible experiences (and there will be many more to come, even now almost 3 years later). But when implemented correctly it really did work and from that moment on I was a believer.

Fast forward 3 years. I didn't get a DK2, stopped using my DK1 when the cool experiences dried up for it and I realised 'I want to wait until this is ready'. And now I'm sitting on a pre order for a Rift that will hopefully be in the first batch so I could have it in under two weeks and I am very excited.

I'd love a Vive but for space and money reasons I'm sticking with my Rift for now (and also really like the look of the Touch controllers) but I think all 3 headsets will give a good experience WHEN designed correctly.

But developers really need to be careful not just shoehorning things in. I'm amazed no-one has done any kind of proper scuba game for launch...as that is just a prime example of what would work well (FOV limitation would not be as noticeable as you would feel you had a helmet on, murky water hiding resolution limitations etc, the use of sound convincing you that you were beneath the waves etc etc). But I think there will be a few great experiences at launch for each of the headsets and there may be some surprises too in terms of what works really well.

Another key thing for me is that I'm not really looking for 30 hour games in VR, I am looking for experiences and games that are compelling and convincing....as when they are then the game is almost secondary. I flew around asteroids and wasn't interested in shooting things down,...I floated through the universe in awe at the size of the planets in front of me...and I look forward to many more experiences of that ilk...and some games too.

In the same way I can always go back to Mario 64, if something works well I'm just  happy to play within it...just like I have spent countless hours climbing trees and triple jumping in the Castle area of that game I look forward to finding these places that I can go to have fun and relax and be transported!

• Upvote 7

Great post. Totally agree about the difficulty of fully immersing yourself in the experiences while in a demo environment.

I'm confident that getting one set up at home will feel very different.

There's something very interesting about VR that as long as it's not too jerky, the graphics really don't matter that much and the feel of 'being there' is amazing, even if it looks a bit poop, you also can't really have new CoD in VR unless you've got a treadmill or some such.

People expecting running around with an AK or VR being able to do first person GTA will be disappointed - if your brain thinks it's moving but your body isn't you get sick, it's pretty much as simple as that. So unless you're in a cockpit or some sort of still "thing" that you can move your body inside of that moves independently, it can be very very weird.

There's still a lot of potential to be had and some amazing things that can be done I'm sure but being able to move your head around inside a game world is a lot more powerful than people are possibly appreciating that haven't experienced VR yet.

Hmm actually Boodles I'd disagree with / debate a few things there.

First: 'as long as it's not too jerky' - it can't be jerky AT ALL if you don't want to feel very strange. 

Next: 'running around with an AK' / 'unless you're in a cockpit' / 'get sick' - not strictly true. I managed to play a good chunk of FPS games on the Rift (a lot of HL2, and a lovely little indie VR title 'Time Rifters'), the main thing I found that made me feel weird was trying to use a game pad; mouse and keys were (bizarrely) fine, but using a right stick to adjust your 'centre' position was just vom-inducing.   

Additionally, I played plenty of cockpit-based stuff that also made me feel weird.   Elite Dangerous, for example.  90% of the time you're in empty space, so there's very little frame of reference for your movement, and hence little weird / sickness.  However, coming in to land at a station, scraping close to walls / floors, and suddenly the stomach lurches.  Driving games, man those are weird too.  I adjusted, but some things (like reversing, or emergency / hard braking make my brain / stomach do little somersaults!!

(I'm going to write a proper VR experience post soon, promise!)

On 19/03/2016 at 8:00 PM, Mentazm said:

Some guys opened a VR-only arcade in Edinburgh about 96 with virtuality machines. 4 iirc and the hand control pucks. Me n 3 mates played Doom, they were ill and stopped after a few mins. I felt okay and played Descent then was ill for the rest of the day.

Heh! The place in a basement on Broughton Street? I remember that. That's where I first tried VR too. Played Quake I think with some mates, it was rubbish. The lag between moving your head and the visuals updating was nauseating. I've not seen any of the more recent VR stuff but I've preordered a PSVR and can't wait to see how things have come on.

1 hour ago, dood said:

Hmm actually Boodles I'd disagree with / debate a few things there.

First: 'as long as it's not too jerky' - it can't be jerky AT ALL if you don't want to feel very strange. 

Next: 'running around with an AK' / 'unless you're in a cockpit' / 'get sick' - not strictly true. I managed to play a good chunk of FPS games on the Rift (a lot of HL2, and a lovely little indie VR title 'Time Rifters'), the main thing I found that made me feel weird was trying to use a game pad; mouse and keys were (bizarrely) fine, but using a right stick to adjust your 'centre' position was just vom-inducing.   

Additionally, I played plenty of cockpit-based stuff that also made me feel weird.   Elite Dangerous, for example.  90% of the time you're in empty space, so there's very little frame of reference for your movement, and hence little weird / sickness.  However, coming in to land at a station, scraping close to walls / floors, and suddenly the stomach lurches.  Driving games, man those are weird too.  I adjusted, but some things (like reversing, or emergency / hard braking make my brain / stomach do little somersaults!!

(I'm going to write a proper VR experience post soon, promise!)

I know, I'd disagree with it too :D but it seems there are a few people that have been posting in the PSVR thread disappointed about the res, or wondering if it's like stereoscopic 3D and I myself played Quakedemo, Dark Forces, Descent on the VFx1 headset as I said in that thread and also a few thing son Rift without vomming everywhere BUT I was attempting to make a pretty generic post in regards to VR experiences and how it isn't what a lot of people seem to think and to a degree, you wouldn't even WANT it to be what a lot of people are apparently disappointed it isn't.

Fair about the jerky, I was downplaying it but again, not what I was getting at, the point is, it can be in horrendous block-o-vision but it's still ridiculously immersive, even that rather great bomb disposal game on the Rift, which looks like plop is incredibly convincing in regards to being sat in that weird office with a bomb on a table. Even the DK2 orientation screen with the table and lamp confuses me in how much my brain genuinely believes those things are 'there' even if they don't look realistic at all.

I was amazed that windlands or whatever it's called, with the platforming with ropes/ tethering thing (sort of like Just cause) had me flinging from lumps in the sky like I was Mario in Galaxy in first person and even swinging about like a minky didn't make me throw up everywhere either.

BUT I wanted to just make a point that if you're not buying any VR thing because of 'teh graffix' are a bit weak, or a lack of support of 'big' game franchises you know, you're really going to be missing out.

That was all, you are right but I'm wary of giving people false hopes or ideas as there seem to be enough of those around as it is! Although having said that, I've perhaps gone the other way :P

• Upvote 1