I have a 4k TV and I won a PS4 pro (with PSVR) and, other than the extra hard drive capacity, I think I'd have been pretty disappointed in the upgrade had I paid money for it.

I’ve been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my (new) PC the last few days, and decided to revisit Uncharted 4 on my PS4 today. Holy crap, the framerate. I’ve absolutely become a 60fps snob.

How does the Pro improve something like Uncharted 4? Will it give me the option of 1080p60 or 4k30?

Naughty Dog have actually been quite disappointing with the Pro improvements. Lost Legacy on Pro just bumped the resolution up from 1080p to 1440p, literally nothing else changed. The Pro generally isn't powerful to bump up a 1080p game on the base machine to native 4k on Pro. If you want that you want the One X really.

• Upvote 2

It's why I've not bothered to upgrade. Despite having a 4k TV it doesn't seem like enough of a leap for me to justify the cost. 1080p games still look great.

• Upvote 1

Same here. Every time there is a new game coming out that makes me think that NOW is the time to upgrade, that idea goes right out the window once I get to play it on my vanilla PS4. Happened with God of War and more recently Spider-Man, for example. They look great at vanilla 1080p. I've played around on a Pro a few times and I dunno... To me, if upgrading from a XB1 to a One X is like upgrading your graphics card on a gaming pc, going from PS4 to Pro feels more like overclocking the graphics card you already have.

And the longer I wait, the more I think it's more sensible to wait for the PS5 at this point. Which also means assuming that Sony will do the sensible thing and allow us to check out PS4 games like GoW and Spider-Man in 4k on PS5 and don't do a Sony in regards to BC.

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, Majora said:

Naughty Dog have actually been quite disappointing with the Pro improvements. Lost Legacy on Pro just bumped the resolution up from 1080p to 1440p, literally nothing else changed. The Pro generally isn't powerful to bump up a 1080p game on the base machine to native 4k on Pro. If you want that you want the One X really.

That would cost them a whole lotta cash thou, and often as companies get bigger they might not bother with real improvements.

Please see; EA + FIFA.

I got a pro on release date so, other than Titanfall 2 which looked a bit better but in the main, I don't really have a frame of reference.

Uncharted 4 Multiplayer on the Pro is a superb upgrade, big resolution boost and rock solid 60fps, it plays like an absolute dream.

Titanfall 2 is another game that really benefits from the enhanced resoution on the pro. Then you've got boost mode for stuff like Yakuza Zero which eliminates the screen tearing. I also really like how in stuff like Last of Us Remastered you can have a true 4K image at 30fps or 1800p at 60fps, choices are good.

Upgrading from a noisy launch PS4 with a 500gb HD It's been well worth it for me, but if you don't have a 4K television don't even consider it

45 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I'm not upgrading. I'm replacing, so a pro makes perfect sense to me.

:eyebrows:

Oh yeah for sure! Anyone who doesn't have a XB1 and/or PS4 at this point should definitely go for the X and Pro imho. Go for the superior option even if it costs a bit more. 

I probably would've got a Pro to go with Spidey if it wasn't for reports of it being just as loud as the OG PS4, and also the fact that it's a bit bigger. I don't think it'd actually fit in my under-TV cabinet, at least not without restricting ventilation. The nice thing about the X is it just sits there small and quiet while pumping out the best graphics. Unless there is a surprise hardware revision for the Pro, I think I'll ride out this generation with the base PS4 and the X.

• Upvote 6

I played ff15 on a pro, and then on a slim. Yes the performance was slightly worse on the slim, but it was so much quieter I actually enjoyed having less fan noises and worse FPS. 

The whole pro in general disappointed me, just reeks of a cash in and something I hope doesn’t exist in the next gens. 

• Upvote 2

Horizon ZD and GT Sport look amazing on my Pro. But then I only sit six ft away from a 65" screen so can see dem pixels.

43 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I've been delighted with my Pro. HDR and 4K, (checkerboard or otherwise), is a real jump from 1080p.

HDR is on all PS4 versions

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

I played ff15 on a pro, and then on a slim. Yes the performance was slightly worse on the slim, but it was so much quieter I actually enjoyed having less fan noises and worse FPS. 

The whole pro in general disappointed me, just reeks of a cash in and something I hope doesn’t exist in the next gens. 

It's cash in because the fans spin too loud? 

I'm on a 1080p screen and have been very glad I upgraded. Even though they're still not anything like a consistent 60fps in performance mode the difference in stuff like Monster Hunter and God of War has been massive and I spent well over 100 hours on those two games alone. Generally 30fps won't kill a game for me by any means but God of War felt insanely laggy like that and I would've found it quite rough to play.

The downampling is nice on most stuff that doesn't have frame rate benefits too.

Mine isn't any more noisy than other modern consoles I've owned either but it seems I'm in the minority there!

24 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

It's cash in because the fans spin too loud? 

It's a cash in because the upgrade is negligible. The fact its cheaply made and badly designed I would say is more of a kick in the teeth.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

It's a cash in because the upgrade is negligible. The fact its cheaply made and badly designed I would say is more of a kick in the teeth.

This is just a nonsense .

in what way is it a “cash in “? Unless you know the profit per unit vs the standard unit , how do you know it is cashing in at  all ?

Its a cost conscious  design . It’s not “ badly designed”

Love mine, holds 60FPS in Battlefield and Fortnite unlike the base console and enhanced games look better even on a 1080p screen - mine is super quiet, quietest PlayStation I’ve ever owned - my launch PS4 was a hair drier so I’m aware of the random quality control Sony have deciding if you get a quiet console or not.

I wouldn’t want to own a base PS4 now is the easiest way to put it!

Sony basically made two mistakes with the Pro: 1) launching too early in the generation, and 2) designing the hardware for VR. 

VR is dead, at least for now. And launching too early in the gen allowed Microsoft all the time in the world to design the X to be considerably more powerful than the Pro. The hardware ball is in Sonys court now; as Ive said before Microsoft can wait and see what they come up with and then top that if they want to. This is probably one of the reasons House and Hirai had to go, because the decision to push the Pro, with VR, was a terrible mistake. They lost their acceleration with the PS4, in a way, when they could easily have waited until Microsoft had to do something with their XB1 situation. As it is, even though they have double the amount of userbase to Microsoft, they are now having to catch up both in terms of hardware and software.

@PeteBrant the cooling systems on the ps4/pro are definately poorly designed, unless you dont mind putting your console in an adjacent room while using it

8 minutes ago, ronin said:

As it is, even though they have double the amount of userbase to Microsoft, they are now having to catch up both in terms of hardware and software.

What software are they having to catch up with? The X is my multiformat of choice, but the software overall (even the UI, which is slightly less shit on PS4 than Xbox) is beaten hands down by the PS4 and most improvements and plus points on the X side are down to the utterly wondrous hardware in the main. I find the idea of the Pro plain offputting because it's massive and it's got a decent chance of being loud which I think is pretty shit in both cases. When my knackered hand-me-down PS4 finally dies I'm leaning towards a Slim even though I should want a Pro as much as I wanted an X. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ronin said:

Sony basically made two mistakes with the Pro: 1) launching too early in the generation, and 2) designing the hardware for VR. 

VR is dead, at least for now. And launching too early in the gen allowed Microsoft all the time in the world to design the X to be considerably more powerful than the Pro. The hardware ball is in Sonys court now; as Ive said before Microsoft can wait and see what they come up with and then top that if they want to. This is probably one of the reasons House and Hirai had to go, because the decision to push the Pro, with VR, was a terrible mistake. They lost their acceleration with the PS4, in a way, when they could easily have waited until Microsoft had to do something with their XB1 situation. As it is, even though they have double the amount of userbase to Microsoft, they are now having to catch up both in terms of hardware and software.

@PeteBrant the cooling systems on the ps4/pro are definately poorly designed, unless you dont mind putting your console in an adjacent room while using it

VR is dead in what regard, exactly? T

Hardware design is about achieving the best result you can  based on cost targets. The fans can be heard on occasion, but the product itself its fine from a design point of view, based on the price paid.

The rest of your post is just speculative babble, plus some nonsense about the PS4 losing its acceleration because of Pro .

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

even though they have double the amount of userbase to Microsoft, they are now having to catch up both in terms of hardware and software.

sure, because the xbox one has some great exclusives... later this year.

Maybe.

2 minutes ago, SeanR said:

sure, because the xbox one has some great exclusives... later this year.

Maybe.

I presume he means BC and game pass etc. Because he cannot possibly be talking about the software library for current gen games. PS is so far ahead its almost embarrasing

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ronin said:

I kind of want to Pos this, because of how amusing it is.

• Upvote 8