Kotaku are saying that some devs have been talking about an improved playstation:

Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this Autumn. It’s unclear if ‘PS4.5’ is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/18/sources-say-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5

It seems unlikely to me, surely 4K gaming would require a really big leap in processing power that would not be economic at the moment, even top end PC gfx cards struggle with it. Interesting all the same. More power would definitely make sense for VR if it takes off.

I hope it doesn't happen, I'll be pissed off if my 2 year old console is superceded. I know it's wrong to feel this way as obviously technology is obsolete as soon as it's made but you do expect a consoles life to be longer.

I reckon we will be moving to a subscription model where you are paying for a service and the hardware comes with it; much like phones providers sell you the hardware and a contract for 18-24 months .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

we aren't going to get 360 longevity out of these consoles, there is no extra to be found from experience of the architecture etc, there will be refinements to dev tools etc but there's no untapped power to be found. 

Id expect new consoles around the end of 2018

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If it's just an upgrade to allow current PS4 games to run in native 4k, then I guess it does no harm. If they go down the path of making enhanced versions or even exclusive titles, then I think that's going to alienate a lot of people if they do it this quickly. I'd hope they wait at least three years until any new models come out though. People buy consoles as a fixed spec machine with an assumption that it will be supported for at least five years from launch. If they're going to change that model then it should be communicated quickly.

Surely there's no way any kind of upgrade, even if it ends up costing something stupid like a few thousand quid*, will allow current PS4 games (or future PS4 games that are of a similar graphical quality) to run in native 4K.

*FOUR extra jobs for 4K!

• Upvote 1

Would seem insane to try to introduce a better specced model seeing the way the ps4 is selling at the moment. They have a hit on their hands, why rock the boat I would have thought. Maybe it's just rumours put about in response to the whole UWP thing.

I'd love the current consoles to last as long as the last gen. I just know if I see a better model I'll want to upgrade and hate myself for it.

• Upvote 3

Surely the leap must be very big but consoles are closed systems and maybe it's easier to take advantage of the hardware. Dont forget that 4K and 30fps is probably perfectly acceptable for a console and I wouldn't mind it at all.

Not that it's happening, it doesn't make much sense, just saying.

8 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Before 4k shouldn't we concentrate on 1080p 60fps becoming a standard?

I don't think an upgraded console that claimed 1080p 60fps as standard would really capture the public's eye as being different enough. Seeing as 4K TV's are now coming through and starting to appear at mainstream prices a console that utilises them would make more sense from a marketing POV.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gooner4life said:

we aren't going to get 360 longevity out of these consoles, there is no extra to be found from experience of the architecture etc, there will be refinements to dev tools etc but there's no untapped power to be found. 

How can that be true? We know that people were doing things with the C64 and Amiga, for example, that the original developers never thought possible, decades after those machines came out. How do you know this isn't the case with the PS4 and Xbone? 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

How can that be true? We know that people were doing things with the C64 and Amiga, for example, that the original developers never thought possible, decades after those machines came out. How do you know this isn't the case with the PS4 and Xbone? 

Because we're not decades after those machines came out.

:hat:

12 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Because those improvements came through better understanding of the architecture, the PS4 and Xbox One are both based on x86-64 architecture, there is not going to be any major surprises for the developers as we get further down the line.

The C64 and Spectrum were hardly complicated machines.

There's still power to be squeezed out of PS4/XboxOne yet.

Stuff being produced today can still be optimised.

The underlying libraries they use can be optimised.

Next year's top games will look better and play smoother than this year's crop.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I don't think an upgraded console that claimed 1080p 60fps as standard would really capture the public's eye as being different enough.

The same could be said of 4k. In general.

I for one have no interest in upgrading to a 4k TV any time soon and buying a load of 4k Blu-rays to replace the Blu-rays that replaced my DVDs. 1080p still looks great in my living room. Hell, even Xbone looks alright.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, gooner4life said:

4 year life cycle seems reasonable. 

That said, you only need to look at The Division vs Watch Dogs or Battlefront on its own to see devs are only just beginning to hit their stride with the current architecture that they know so well. 

I do wonder if MS will hit the suicide button early though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I do wonder if MS will hit the suicide button early though. 

They have form with the original Xbox and that couldn't have worked out better for them.

The 360/PS3 gen was an anomaly. It's still not dead yet.

10 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Surely there's no way any kind of upgrade, even if it ends up costing something stupid like a few thousand quid*, will allow current PS4 games (or future PS4 games that are of a similar graphical quality) to run in native 4K.

Well not many PS4 games run in 1080p 60fps, but it's still something the console ostensibly supports. I could easily see PSN games hitting 4k, even if most AAA ones end up being sub-4k 30fps again.

10 hours ago, Fury.HD said:

I doubt this could ever manage enough uptake to make any amount of developers actually provide any content for it.

They wouldn't have to provide extra content. 4K is a hardware feature.

58 minutes ago, DC07 said:

They have form with the original Xbox and that couldn't have worked out better for them.

The 360/PS3 gen was an anomaly. It's still not dead yet.

An anomaly?

edit: You mean it lasted more than it should?

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

They wouldn't have to provide extra content. 4K is a hardware feature.

But then there's the extra processing power it'll supposedly have for enhancing VR games as well. 

16 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Rubbish, The development tools will get better, processes will be refined and less man-hours wasted, and programming techniques will improve because it's a fixed specification and that's the way these things go.

I'd also love to know what you think the basis for longevity for this generation of consoles is, because the 360 had arguably one of the slowest incremental improvements in the fidelity of it's software yet is currently 10 years old, and still (just about) going.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fury.HD said:

But then there's the extra processing power it'll supposedly have for enhancing VR games as well. 

I don't see how that would work.

On 19/03/2016 at 7:20 PM, gooner4life said:

There are plenty of interesting new techniques which haven't been explored with the current consoles, they haven't even really begun to explore the possibilites of GPU compute yet still. This is a quote from the father of the PS4, it explains why the PS4 hardware design is lopsided and unbalanced. I'm hearing similar things from the PC GPU providers now that they have lower level access and can begin to explore GPU compute. repi made some fairly big claims when he was talking about Mantle too on what could be possible in the future.

Cerny is convinced that in the coming years, developers will want to use the GPU for more than pushing graphics -- and believes he has determined a flexible and powerful solution to giving that to them. "The vision is using the GPU for graphics and compute simultaneously," he said. "Our belief is that by the middle of the PlayStation 4 console lifetime, asynchronous compute is a very large and important part of games technology."

Cerny envisions "a dozen programs running simultaneously on that GPU" -- using it to "perform physics computations, to perform collision calculations, to do ray tracing for audio."

The complete context of that excerpt:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?print=1

• Upvote 1