WHD0KJ1D

Relaxing games

So quite often I feel like playing something that engages me but doesn't require 100% concentration and doesn't need OMFG reaction speed. I want to be able to talk to someone, have a drink, a handful of crisps, and not need to be pausing etc.

pool and snooker games are normally great for that, I enjoyed everybody gone to the rapture, but I want to know what other games I should be trying when I just fancy chilling out a bit. I guess I should probably get the witness? 

• Upvote 3

I have been looking for something like this lately. I tried emulated Super Mario World. Turns out either that game is balls hard or I have lost a significant amount of dexterity with age. The design still invokes that feeling of childlike glee but then I run into a challenge stage and rage quit while yelling at the screen. Got me thinking of Mario Galaxy but maybe that's also hard in the end. Maybe Windwaker? 

9 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Do you like strategy card games at all?  I often default to them when I'm in the sort of mood from your opening post.

I tried hearthstone and enjoyed that but got annoyed it always needed to be online.

actually advance wars, this gen needs an advance wars! Shame I don't have a PC I'm sure Xcom 2 is great

4 minutes ago, Hean Dog said:

I tried hearthstone and enjoyed that but got annoyed it always needed to be online.

actually advance wars, this gen needs an advance wars! Shame I don't have a PC I'm sure Xcom 2 is great

What are you using?  There are quite a few great turn based strategy/board games I play on iOS.  Warhammer Quest, Talisman, Ascension, Battle of the Bulge, Carcassonne, 40k Deathwatch etc.  All slow paced.  The sort of games I half play while I pretend to be interested in something the Mrs is watching on telly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

What are you using?  There are quite a few great turn based strategy/board games I play on iOS.  Warhammer Quest, Talisman, Ascension, Battle of the Bulge, Carcassonne, 40k Deathwatch etc.  All slow paced.  The sort of games I half play while I pretend to be interested in something the Mrs is watching on telly.

I have iphone6, iPad air2, ps4 for gaming.

I've always enjoyed going for a drive with the radio on in open world games, whether that's cruising around LC in GTA3 or chilling with D-Dog up the side of a mountain in Afghanistan.

Minecraft is really soothing when you've got a build site that's not hoaching with monsters too. 

• Upvote 3

It's pretty old now, but I love gliding around various districts in Jet Set Radio Future. When you've cleared most of the story stuff and only have optional extras to do, it's nice to let the various rails and wallrides carry you through the gameworld without worrying about triggering police events or whatever. :)

• Upvote 1

I love these games too. Badically, anything I can play while the radio or a podcast is playing in the background. The Witness is absolutely perfect for this, and truly one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Utterly wonderful design.

The Talos Principle and Lara Croft Go are a couple of others that I'd highly recommend.

Golf games I find are great for relaxing with.

Was great on the 360 as you could have your own music playing too, hopefully the One will get custom soundtracks one day too.

There is an indie game on PS4 called Unfinished Swan, or something very similar. You basically start in a world that's completely white (so you can't see anything) and go around splashing paint on things, so gradually the world becomes visible. I don't think you can lose or die or anything, you just explore and paint the world. I found it very relaxing. 

• Upvote 4

Flying around in the Birdman levels of Pilotwings 64 used to be my relaxing game of choice.

Now I level up in early final fantasy games or wander around Skyrim with my invincible character.

• Upvote 2

Civilisation series games (and anything turn based really). After your familiar with the mechanics I love to spend a day with a TV show on another screen ploughing through hundreds of turns be it for fun or mopping up achievements.

Last few days it's been Guild of Duneoneering. Simple card based dungeon crawler with lots and lots of charm. Game mechanics itself is a bit hit and miss but the music is nice and it's laid back.

• Upvote 1

Flower.  The best use of motion control, imo, and my go to relaxing game.  I've spent countless hours in that game having got back from work completely fucked off with life, putting it in, and flying about a level or two while I unwind enough to continue with the day.

• Upvote 2

Aside from the lovely ambient games already mentioned above, one of the great relaxing games of all time remains Settlers 2. Failing that, other city builders, and the slower-paced tycoon games, where you get to watch your city/transport system/theme park/whatever gradually expand and spring to life, are wonderfully restful.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Definitely get The Witness.  You can sit there, scratch your head at a puzzle, and munch on whatever, talk to whoever etc.

This. 

My pics would be...

Dear Esther - Fairly short but I find myself revisiting this

Grey Matter - Point and click game

Homesick - Very slow paced but good graphics and interesting puzzles

Lifeless Planet - Fun puzzles and good sense of scale with the enviornments

MIND - Path to thalmus - Haven't finished this yet but I like it so far.