Sign in to follow this  
bplus

emulators on original Xbox and related questions

Hi,Ive got chip modded original Xbox (done by yod@ back in the day). I want a bigger hard drive. Does anyone remember the size limit, ie if I buy a 500gb one will it not work?

Also can anyone recommend some hd manufacturers ?

Lastly can anyone recommend some arcade emulators. Especially for neo geo and capcom.

Thanks

I have a 250GB one but tried to go to a 300 and it would not have it, I think that is more related to some drives work, some won't rather than a limit as I think you can go larger.

Remember to get an IDE hard disk, I think you can go SATA but have to deal with converters and there may not be enough space.

Just a quick note... I installed a Maxtor 750GB in my crystal green Xbox and had to enable lba 48 addressing so there was no corruption. I found this out the hard way after instaling loads of games from dvd only to find them disappearing randomly. I'm guessing 48bit addressing is buried somewhere in your bios/modchip options.

I use CoinOPS and my install has now reached over 600GB with 19,000 games.  

Some prefer dedicated emulators due to more customisation options but personally when I'm retro gaming I like to quickly change and browse between systems rather than sticking to one single system and the exiting to start a different system.  With CoinOPS this can all be done via a single frontend.  

There's lots of options to get games set up with controls mapped to the xbox controller (e.g. to make playing Elite easy with a controller) and you can then craft the videos to show the mapping you've chosen (see http://bit.ly/1QZwCnr and http://bit.ly/1TcpNki for examples).  Recenlty WHDLoad compatibility has been added for amiga games, so those can be launched very quickly with no disk swapping required.  There's lots of development going on, there is a sister project called Premium that provides a Hyperspin style interface, you can see more of that here: http://bit.ly/1mwkfo0 

Having all these games easily browsable and selectable is the main benefit from my point of view.  

Still it depends what you want to do and how you like to do it.  No harm in trying all possible options.