BruceBruce

Assassin's Creed Origins

Just bought this over on cdkeys for just over 20 bones (with a 5% off code) for my OneX. I'd only went on there to get GTA 5 for my new PC but couldn't pass it up at that price. Looking forward to twiddling with the supposed comprehensive HDR settings almost as much as the game.

8 hours ago, amc said:

Just bought this over on cdkeys for just over 20 bones (with a 5% off code) for my OneX. I'd only went on there to get GTA 5 for my new PC but couldn't pass it up at that price. Looking forward to twiddling with the supposed comprehensive HDR settings almost as much as the game.

As I’m clueless I just turned both settings up till it looked really nice :D it’s beautiful 

• Upvote 1

So, I caved and picked this up for around £20 at GMG.

Am I wrong in thinking that the PC version has really poor optimization?

It's bloody awful.

On 15/06/2018 at 16:24, JoeK said:

So, I caved and picked this up for around £20 at GMG.

Am I wrong in thinking that the PC version has really poor optimization?

It's bloody awful.

Works fine on my GTX 1060.  Think the only thing turned right down was depth of field, as that tends to kill performance in cut scenes.  Mostly runs at 60fps at 1080p with high or better settings.

Edit: think there's and adaptive resolution/vsync mode that I turned off as well. It just had tearing all over the shop.

I've just started this after playing the ACII in the Ezio collection and it's a bit of jarring change of pace with the scale, health bars and everything being so far apart. More than once a '!' symbol has appeared on screen and I've started to walk towards it only to check the map and find out it's miles away.

I've just made it out of the prologue and I'm at level 11. AC games for me were chillout games. They were never that difficult, they were gorgeous to look at and the soundtrack (in the Ezio trilogy at least) was always amazing. I've never really gotten along with Black Flag because the world is so bitty and spread out so having at least on big city to explore again is nice while I try to get to grips with all the new systems, different weapons and character level requirements to do certain missions. 

I'm sure you can upgrade it at some point but is the default camel supposed to take 5 minutes to show up when you whistle for it? I swear whenever I look at a mission marker that is always 500m away from where I am standing and whistle for the damn thing I could have run to the location by the time it shows up. 

31 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I'm sure you can upgrade it at some point but is the default camel supposed to take 5 minutes to show up when you whistle for it? I swear whenever I look at a mission marker that is always 500m away from where I am standing and whistle for the damn thing I could have run to the location by the time it shows up. 

It's on important camel business - you'll find out what in one of the DLC packs.

It involved a whole lot of robots.

Picked this up in the PSN sale and I’m enjoying it quite a lot. The combat is shonky as hell, especially coming from the visceral, crunchy and satisfying God of Wat - it’s very floaty and unresponsive. However the fun of the game is in avoiding combat, and it still mails that thrill of feeling like a super-assassin, laying waste to a fortress full of enemies without anyone detecting you.

Ira ridiculously huge and I’m not sure I’ll stick it out to the end, but I’ve hit lvl 20 now and it’s still getting better. Quite pretty too (although again, disappointing next to God of Wat). A solid 7-8 out of 10 for me

6 hours ago, spanx said:

Picked this up in the PSN sale and I’m enjoying it quite a lot. The combat is shonky as hell, especially coming from the visceral, crunchy and satisfying God of Wat - it’s very floaty and unresponsive. However the fun of the game is in avoiding combat, and it still mails that thrill of feeling like a super-assassin, laying waste to a fortress full of enemies without anyone detecting you.

Ira ridiculously huge and I’m not sure I’ll stick it out to the end, but I’ve hit lvl 20 now and it’s still getting better. Quite pretty too (although again, disappointing next to God of Wat). A solid 7-8 out of 10 for me

Have you noticed how disappointing God of Wars depiction of Egyptian Life is and/or how on rails it is?

theyre not really trying to do the same thing :-)

I really don't like having to use the bird all the time to find and mark targets. Repeating the same gameplay of scrolling the cursor and listening to the whistling sound over and over again is not fun gameplay. I know since they ditched the 'follow' missions they needed something to replace that bit of gameplay between finding the target and murdering them but it's starting to annoy me now.

47 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I really don't like having to use the bird all the time to find and mark targets. Repeating the same gameplay of scrolling the cursor and listening to the whistling sound over and over again is not fun gameplay. I know since they ditched the 'follow' missions they needed something to replace that bit of gameplay between finding the target and murdering them but it's starting to annoy me now.

Yes, I agree that Senu doesn't really work as a mechanic. It's fine in Ghost Recon and Watch Dogs as a radio-controlled drone is a real thing that those characters might use, and have their own gameplay mechanics (don't get them spotted, stay with radio range etc). I preferred Eagle Vision as the wall-hack mode.

Other than that I'm loving this so far. Walking into Alexandria and the Great Library, I was agog. Probably the best looking game yet made.

I used an early assassination mission (the first Philake) to practice my skills, and butchered every soldier in the area. Then I felt quite bad, because I'm not sure if the regular soldiers in Alexandria needed to die. I might equip fists as my second melee weapon so I can easily non-lethal enemies (fists deactivates your hidden blade so I've heard). Though I do like swapping between a heavy weapon + shield and the ultra-fast twin blades.

I've done about 15 hours of this now and I'm really enjoying it, but it's just so massive. I'm not sure whether I should do loads of side missions (and there do seem to be loads and loads) or focus more on the main quests and use side missions to level myself up if needed. The side missions are nice little stories, but there are just so many!

I've rinsed as much of Alexandria as I can for now, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I've just gone to the town to the south east of Alexandria, on the trail of the Scorpion, and I immediately got issued with four more side missions as well as the main quest, as well as going past a bunch of '!' and '?' markers on the way that I ignored. Given the size of the map I don't think I'll ever be done playing if I try and do it all. There's also not much to tell you what the side mission will involve ahead of time. In Ghost Recon Wildlands and Far Cry 5 you could stick to the side content that appealed to you and avoid the stuff that doesn't.

I tried putting the HUD to 'minimal' for the last two nights which has made for a much prettier game and forces you to look into amazing world a lot more, rather than the surface UI elements, but as usual when designers implement these multiple preset HUD options, it makes certain thing frustrating. For example, I can't tell if the thing I'm fighting has a 100 or 10,000 hit points, as the health bars and level indicators are missing. Also, nothing is displayed when you pick things up, which makes no sense. You have to go into the inventory or gear menus to see what's new. Stupid. I'd rather I had more control so could leave the health bars on when in combat or aiming at someone, but get rid of those horrendous outlines around marked enemies. Still, by turning off the wall-hack UI at least Senu has more utility. I do like the compass in this (much better than the Far Cry one), but as with that game your marked waypoint appears distractingly pasted over the game itself rather than out of the way on the compass, which is where I'd expect it to be.

I'm enjoying the story and characters so far. I hoovered up all those computer files in the present day sections. I do miss the encyclopaedia that was a hallmark of the earlier AC games. I really loved reading about life, society, buildings and politics of the era as I explored the amazing virtual recreations. It was always a large part of the appeal of the series. I'm having to resort to wikipedia instead. The tourist mode is superb, but it's a totally separate made that you have to quit out of the main game to access.

Combat is really good and has got me interested in playing other melee combat games that influenced AC:O. On the other hand, traversal has been streamlined to the extent that it's not very interesting. I really wish the'd kept the ability to jump so you have the ability to optimise your routes. Also, the foot-chases where you have to break line of sight and find a hiding spot seem to be a thing of the past. It's really easy to leg it now.

It's extremely compelling, but when I consider the amount of uncovered map I actually feel a but queasy! Compare that to Breath of the Wild, where every uncovered area feels like an adventure I can't wait to have.

• Upvote 1

I'm 36 hours into this now and still nowhere near finishing it. The gameplay loop of the side stories is addictive enough that I can play it for an hour each night and make steady progress through the game.I even managed to get the trophy for stealth killing 10 enemies in a row which I didn't think I'd be able to because I've spent the entire game walking into enemy camps through the front door making as much noise as possible because the combat is a lot of fun an easy enough for not to get frustrated by.  Origins also has the most satisfying underwater swimming mechanic since Mario 64 and Bayek can hold his breath for long enough that exploring doesn't become frustrating. 

I'd been playing the Ezio collection before I started Origins and there are some things I miss from those games. Characters come in and out of the story and I keep forgetting who they are, in the Ezio games a pop up would appear so you could check the Animus for a quick refresher on who that person is but that option isn't in this game. Egypt is beautiful but having the history of the area locked behind discovery mode instead of a text pop up means outside of the famous monuments I have no idea how important various places are unless I quit the game and go to Discovery mode. The soundtrack is also completely forgettable which is a shame because the AC games have always had fantastic soundtracks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

The soundtrack is also completely forgettable which is a shame because the AC games have always had fantastic soundtracks.

I'll contest this: I wasn't super impressed by the score at first but after the sixty hour mark, it had properly sunk into my bones. It's a pity the more ambient numbers didn't make it onto the official score as they're a fabulous listen. Most are available on YT though. 

I'll see if it kicks in the more I play it. It's so unobtrusive that the only time I really notice it is when the tune plays when you find a vantage point which is the same sound they've always used.  There's been nothing as iconic as Earth from AC2 so far.

I forgot to add because I hadn't had one for a while but all of the boss battles in this game are a complete pile of unfun shit featuring game mechanics that don't appear anywhere else and when you die have to start all over again. 

Fuck Flavius the teleporting cunt.