BruceBruce

Assassin's Creed Origins

So there's a rumor that the next AC game will be called "Assassin's Creed: Empire" and takes place in Egypt before there were even Assassin's and Templars. So I imagine we'll be seeing a "reboot" of the series.

Ubisoft seems to finally understand that their annual release cycle isn't working, and they apparently want to take an approach similar to that of the Witcher series in style. Apparently the title's main character will be considered for a trilogy of games as well.

But these are all just rumors circulating. If anything, what we should take away from this is that Ubisoft finally understands how terrible this annual cycle business is, and this means we could see a really polished AC title in 2017.

But we can maybe look forward to Watch Dogs 2 releasing this year, hopefully without the disappointing last-gen visual downgrade on PC this time.

Post Release

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/290396-assassins-creed-origins/&do=findComment&comment=11635435

Was the reception for Syndicate not very good? I'm playing through it now and I like it much more than Unity. Really impressed with how stunning the games look visually. Nothing quite beats AC2 and Brotherhood, but this and certainly Black Flag are fantastic.

• Upvote 2

The actual sales for Syndicate were disappointing, which is likely the reason for this.

I did actually enjoy Syndicate - I finished it, which makes it the first AC title to manage that feat since Revelations - but that was entirely down to it being a manageable length, having an enjoyable enough plot to move things along, and not being incredibly broken or boring (hi, Unity). The thing is, despite all that it was still exactly the same game as every Assassin's Creed since 2, and it was inevitable that sales would eventually flounder as Ubisoft continued to churn an AC out every year with little to no changes made. Maybe, hopefully, they've finally learned from that, and we can get an Assassin's Creed that is, if not as exciting a prospect as the first, marks at least as enticingly progressive a move as 2 or, at the very least, Brotherhood.

• Upvote 1

I hope it's possible to climb up the Pyramids and the Sphinx.

This could be an excellent setting for a game, but then I always snap up the Assassin's Creed games - there's enough fun just taking in the world, even if I don't get round to finishing the games.

I kind of hope it is a reboot of the series honestly.. it's gotten so convoluted with the precursor stuff and I feel like they need to either resolve it or start over. Cause I used to enjoy the precursor back story, but now it just seems tacked on.

The actual sales for Syndicate were disappointing, which is likely the reason for this.

This year's game, if it existed, would have been well, well, well into production before Syndicate's sales were known. Seems much more likely that the year off is a response to the poor reception for Unity.

• Upvote 3

I hope it's possible to climb up the Pyramids and the Sphinx.

I predict that there will be a sequence in the game where the face of the sphinx gets damaged whilst you are climbing on it.

I predict that there will be a sequence in the game where the face of the sphinx gets damaged whilst you are climbing on it.

it's been done.

obelix.jpg

AC doesn't need a story or setting reboot, it needs an engine and mechanical overhaul. There are literally infinite settings and stories to be told within the existing framework - the gameplay and structure just needs to be modernised.

• Upvote 1

It's not really a story or setting reboot anyway, is it? The Truth in 2 already sort of revealed that the battle for civilisation went back a lot further than the Crusades and the current factions

• Upvote 1

I guess if they're skipping a year then the rumours of an AC Collection are possibly true. AC 1, 2, 3, Brotherhood and Rogue and I'd buy that.

woah there nelly! No one should have to buy AC3 in order to play better versions of the better games. Despite the direct lineage...

I guess if they're skipping a year then the rumours of an AC Collection are possibly true. AC 1, 2, 3, Brotherhood and Rogue and I'd buy that.

"5 identical games for the price of one!"
  • Upvote 7

"5 identical games for the price of one!"

I know. A couple of years ago, I bought the AC collection on the 360 cheap. It had 1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations and 3 in the set. I played through 1 and 2, got halfway through Brotherhood before getting bored, went back and finished it late last year. I started Revelations but when I realised it was exactly the same as what went before I quickly stopped and have no wish to play any of the others.

Just read that this is going to be from the Black Flag team. Now I'm interested.

I had hoped Empire in the title meant Rome, but Egypt will look surely look fantastic, too. So I was in before, but am doubly in if this is the case. Hope it gives them time to freshen up the mechanics a bit.

This year's game, if it existed, would have been well, well, well into production before Syndicate's sales were known. Seems much more likely that the year off is a response to the poor reception for Unity.

That's what Kotaku's source claims:

One person familiar with Ubisoft’s upcoming gaming plans told me this afternoon that the decision to delay Empire from fall 2016 was made after 2014’s disappointing Unity, and that this bump will allow the development team more room to improve and polish the game

There's an old quote from the CEO, Yves Guillemot that stated gamers liked yearly sequels if you kept the quality up, the problem is they haven't managed to do that so are at least realising that before they completely torpedo the commercial viability of this particular cash cow.

I played and loved Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood and Revelations. I started Assassin's Creed III, but got fed up of the bugs and the fact I felt like I was hardly playing the game due to the number of cut scenes.

I haven't played one since. I own Black Flag, and have heard good things, but due to the annual releases, I feel I've sickened myself of the games a bit.

So I welcome the news that they may be abandoning releasing the games every five minutes. Maybe now I can rediscover what I enjoyed so much about the AC games in the first place.

I'd like it if they changed the structure. It's always the same, and it's far too restrictive at the start, I don't think I've ever gotten past the hand holding tutorial shit, but the start of every game opens with identical boring missions, cutscenes and some pointless real world shit. How about an AC game where you're already an Assassin and don't need the game to train you for hours and hours?

AC has been in an immensely overrated series after the glorious Ezio days. It has steadily gotten worse (Black Flag was an "anomaly") and I'm not talking only about the technical side. The gameplay has become stale and the general mechanics around it are really bad. Story is a mess, combat is a mess, AI is the same, etc. I am really surprised that people have stuck with it because it "looks nice" - and that is also a debatable point. But the "law of the yearly sequel" which affects the sports titles (where people buy them because some minor improvements are made each year) is still strong in the industry.

It's good news that they are considering a total revamp, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.