Sign in to follow this  
Nathan Wind

Your Favourite Retro Buy/Pick Up of the Year

What was your best retro buy of the year, or indeed, even a gift or pick-up from the tip or out of a skip? I don't necessarily mean in terms of value or grabbing a bargain, although that's fine, but I was thinking more in terms of bringing you enjoyment. Maybe you've picked something up which you didn't expect much from but it actually turned out to be surprisingly ace? A game, a bundle, a computer or console - whatever!

For me, when it comes to sheer enjoyment it has to be the PC Engine which forumite Nick_L kindly sent me all the way from sunny America. It's a machine I knew very little about and had certainly never seen or experienced first hand, and combined with an Ever Drive it has brought me an absolute ton of fun. The quality of games like Coryoon, Blazing Lazers and Bomberman has blown me away and no, I still haven't played Gekisha Boy.

The biggest surprise is definitely the Philips CD-i which I only bought out of morbid curiosity to see for myself if it's as bad as I've read, but it really isn't. There is, amazingly, some fun to be had from the thing with a handful of games such as Mutant Rampage, Chaos Control and a surprisingly ace rendition of Tetris, that I've gone back to more than a few times.

How about you?

• Upvote 3

probably the xbox version of star wars battlefront 2 that i picked up for 2 quid from a charity shop

I love that game. Up until recently you could still easily hop into a multiplayer round or three on PC. In fact, you still can with a bit of effort and some tunneling software. It's a real testament to how much fun it is.

Possibly this, which is not that retro and might be a bit ho-hum to everyone else. But I saw it on my local facebook car boot group and I'd never heard of it before. I've been collecting the Mario Party games this year and this is vaguely related ... The seller said she'd been listing it on and off for a year and had no interest. It was £3 and is mint.

I also got a nice boxed gameboy micro from the same site which took a lot of bargaining to land plus my DS collection has at least doubled in size as that seems to be what most folk are offloading.

post-3381-0-36813200-1450960833_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I got Parodius Da! (the game which people assume is the first Parodius, but is reallythe second) for my Super Famicom at last, which is good, and I've wanted to play it again for years. Used to own a PAL copy of the game, but sold it in 2005, which I regretted for ages.

Haven't been able to gather much Retro this year, primarily as I collect for the Mega Drive, and some of the stuff I did is a bit terrible mentioning... (both Bubsy titles, The Aquatic Olympic Games..)

It wasn't cheap, but I'm most happy with picking up The Second Samurai (MD) this year. Due to loving Psygnosis' output on the system plus particularly Matt Furniss' music in both Wiz n Liz and Puggsy over the years, I'd learned years ago that he also composed this title, but hadn't gotten around to it.

Well, 2015 was the year I got to say I did. :)

The quality of games like Coryoon, Blazing Lazers and Bomberman has blown me away and no, I still haven't played Gekisha Boy.

Strangely enough Gekisha Boy 2 aka Gekibo 2 aka Polaroid Pete - the PS2 sequel - is up there as one of my most enjoyed games of the year. Brilliant batshit experience, a worthy follow up to probably the best PC Engine game you've curiously not tried out.

And on that note another slept on PC Engine classic I've had much joy with recently is Metal Stoker - an overhead tank shooter with slick and clever aesthetics and design. Kind of like what Granada is to the Mega Drive and Kokuga to the 3DS: A futuristic balls out artillery fest.

Strangely enough Gekisha Boy 2 aka Gekibo 2 aka Polaroid Pete - the PS2 sequel - is up there as one of my most enjoyed games of the year. Brilliant batshit experience, a worthy follow up to probably the best PC Engine game you've curiously not tried out.

That's because every time I turn the machine on I end up playing Coryoon for an hour. I've played Metal Stoker. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I find the controls a bit tricky. That's the one where you press one of the buttons to lock your direction of travel and/or fire isn't it? Reminded me a bit of Xenon.

That's because every time I turn the machine on I end up playing Coryoon for an hour. I've played Metal Stoker. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I find the controls a bit tricky. That's the one where you press one of the buttons to lock your direction of travel and/or fire isn't it? Reminded me a bit of Xenon.

That's the one. Proper little under-the-radar gem. I was enchanted the first time I played it.

I got one of those invader from space from a boot earlier this year. Tried it out finally this week and it didn't work :( wonder if it's worth busting it open to see what's gone wrong..!

Same reason people who get stuff at Christmas say "haul" - see your post in the SSS thread. Simply a colloquialism as well you know :)

Yes, but why is is specific to retro gaming? Haul is pretty universal.

No idea. It's not something I'd noticed being specific to retro gaming, I must admit. I'm sure many people I know say they've picked things up from the shops or whatever. It's not really something I've ever taken notice of.

Swainy, did you build that completely from scratch or buy one of those MDF template kits you can pick up ( :eyebrows: )?

Swainy, did you build that completely from scratch or buy one of those MDF template kits you can pick up ( :eyebrows: )?

Well a mate of mine had the design & cut the wood for me but it's essentially the same thing really.

It looks great. What did you use for the internals? A PC? I'd like to have a go at something similar. When I last looked into it, it seemed relatively straight forward other than a bit of faffing setting up the button wiring.

wk3i9k.jpg

My favourite retro purchase of 2015. When I was 11yo my folks bought me an Asian Megadrive, imported by a guy who lived in our street. I've never owned a MegaCD and saw the two advertised together with a handful of games.

Sadly some of the Asian games had been "mutilated" to fit a PAL system, but at least they work and have the original cases.

I also spent far too much money on some of the best games I've ever played on the system, namely Thunderforce IV, Gynoug, Ghouls n Ghosts and Alien 3.

I also bought a Menacer for playing Terminator 2!

• Upvote 9

I bought Shining the Holy ark again, cost me £70 though, but great to play it again. I also picked up (yes picked up, I’ll call it what the fuck I want thanks very much) a sealed Japanese release of the game and Shining Force 3. I sold my official UK release of Shining force 3 for over £100 and bought a sealed new Japanese copy for £15, happy with that, I never liked 3 as much as ark.

I might buy the official STHA guide at some point for the excellent artwork.

IMG_20151231_145704603_zpsh4auz22p.jpg

Also bought a lot of the Saturn games I used to own again, I really hate the crappy cardboard boxes early games came in so all of these are the later edition cases with the clear plastic fronts and so in pretty good condition, anything outside of that I try and get on a Japan release as it's so much cheaper, often new and sealed and you can easily replace cases.

a42cd0ce-bc5e-4a35-bffc-b2946d9156c7_zps

• Upvote 1