boxoctosis

Games you recently abandoned, and why

Always an interesting topic. Tell us about the games you've given up on, and why.

Most recent one for me is Fallout 4.

I loved 3 and New Vegas, so was properly excited about 4. Which turned out to be really quite boring. Not much in the way of interesting quests, just lots and lots of janky shooting.

Plus there's that really weird and unintuitive base building Sim City shit, for little discernible reward.

I dunno, it just felt massively disappointing and dull and after a bit I never wanted to switch it back on. And also that I was spending a lot of time essentially rifling through peoples bins for rubbish.

What games have you given up on recently?

• Upvote 3

Bloodborne, massive souls fan completing them all multiple times, couldn't get on with the super depressing environments and lack of build variety.

I know I'm almost certainly completely wrong about it and will get back one day

MGSV : Got about halfway through and found it too repetitive. While it is fun and there's a lot of tools at your disposal, a lot of the missions felt too same-y and it only really seemed to continue the story every main missions meaning to me at least it didn't really feel like a big over-arching story.

Fallout 4 : I loved F3 and New Vegas and I've put 100's of hours into each but this one just isn't really clicking with me, no idea why.

• Upvote 1

Suddenly regretting putting F4 on my Xmas list..!

The only one that comes to mind recently is TT's Game of Thrones. I played up to episode 4, played Life Is Strange while waiting for episode 5 and was so blown away that I completely can't be arsed to go back to TT's tired and janky shtick now.

MGSV - I got to near the end of it all, and then just felt completely apathetic. I thought about starting it again, but suddenly Konami patched in an absurd amount of P2P and "always online" shit that benefits nobody.

Destiny - me and everyone else in my group got overwhelmed by the latest Raid, which also takes far too long.

Recent abandonments are Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid V and Far Cry 4. Reasons below, see if you can see any sort of recurring theme...

Fallout 4: wonderful environment to explore, alright combat, but after 30-40 hours got sick of every single quest being shooting and the plot (whether main story or side quests) offering no compelling reason to carry on.

Metal Gear Solid V: wonderfully flexible stealth-action system, but after 30-40 hours it felt like I was just going through the motions, with the stealth never getting any harder, the base design seemingly restricted by the open world, the world's population of just combatants getting wearying. Also the plot was awful and offered no reason to carry on.

Far Cry 4: very pretty, very enjoyable combat, but after about 5 hours I'd gotten bored of essentially just playing Far Cry 3 again, complete with woeful attempt at story, only this time with a marginally less annoying main character.

Metal Gear Solid V, I didn't get far and I'll be back but I played a few missions and it just boiled down to getting to high ground, tagging the enemies in the base then sneak in but couldn't be arsed, didn't help that I wasn't very good and kept getting seen, felt like a slow version of Far Cry 3&4 bases, the Afghanistan map is a lifeless place aswell

Little Big Planet 3 - Really horrible camera on 4 player on-line multi-player, we had no choice but to drop it.

I abandoned Assassins Creed after a couple of plays simply because I had satisfied myself that the London setting (loads of wrongly positioned buildings / areas) was going to be a constant irritation (plus the gameplay hasn't moved on one iota).

I'm not sure I've exactly abandoned it, but I certainly feel no compunction to download the final episode of Game of Thrones. Compare and contrast to Life is Strange.

Something I've found very helpful this year is to take a decent break in the middle of the huge 150 hour + games - W3, MGSV and currently with Fallout 4.

Fallout 4: played 20+ hours but have just never went back to it. It hasn't really moved on from Fallout 3 in hindsight.

MGSV: it's undoubtedly quality but I just stopped one day and never went back to it. Perhaps it's a game that needed to be more streamlined.

Witcher 3: impressive game but I just ended up daunted by the sheer size of it and everything there was to do.

I abandoned Destiny, but less than three months later I seem to be playing it again.

I didn't finish Chapter 2 of MGSV but I don't consider that abandoning it, I feel more like Konami were the ones who did that. I played the half of the game that was finished.

• Upvote 1

I've played a couple of hours of Dragon Age Inqusition, having not played a WRPG before, and I'm simultaneously overwhelmed and mystified to the point that I'm seriously considering not bothering continuing.

• Upvote 1

Bloodborne/Dark Souls.

Love both games but the sheer amount of investment relative to progress just isn't worth it for me. I'm much more about accessibility these days, however, I'll come back to complete at least Dark Souls at some point.

Like everyone else MGSV, start of chapter 2. The story just stops which wasn't very good to begin with and it was just chapter 1 with slight differences. It really feels like they made a huge world, didn't fill it with anything but made getting into bases anyway you like and just dotted them about everywhere. A massive disappointment in every single way.

• Upvote 1

Gears of War remake, got to the Raam fight at the end where you have to hit 12 perfect head shots or something, while exploding the kryll off him. Fine, it says "stick to the light", and there are lights on the floor, but whenever he sends the kryll out, they chop me up. I want to beat it again but I cannot figure out what is the light, and what bit is unsafe.

Advanced Warfare last year after a few weeks once I realised it was flea warfare on terrible maps.

Halo 5 online, love the campaign, but there's something weird about a dudebro halo with ADS online.

Fez, tried to finish it again on a re-release but had to stop once I realised I didn't want to remake translations, maps, and so on, I thought yeah we can leave you alone now.

Stupidly abandoned Dishonored because I need to re-do the 1st hour for a third time, and other games jumping ahead, but I need to get back in there.

EDF 2025, I still play for fun occasionally, its still possibly my all time greatest 360 game, and for sure the greatest ever online arena type thing, but the grind to complete 80 odd levels + DLC on all difficulties is something like 500 levels, and for 3 characters youre looking at 2000 levels upwards, not including replays and farming, all just to fill in little medal stats. Didn't even look at the remake for this reason beyond trailers, and won't buy it in the new year because it's like buying a new car, but it comes in a box. Here you go, assemble it. In fact because I've already done a load of it, it's sort of like taking my car for an MOT and receiving it back in a giant box, here you go, build up from nothing again but it'll go slightly faster once you've done it. Sort of. EDF is still beautiful, but theyre going too far on the content now, you should get a medal for whichever character you use, not separate medals per class.

Evil Within, it plays brilliant, I love it, but I found it quite oppressive and when played properly, tense and scary, and I thought hang on, wouldn't you just prefer a light, silly game of COD online. Also last October I was sat in my house, I had a new fire put in that just was not right and took me a LOT of work to fix, I was sat with my girlfriend in the aftermath of spending over 2 grand on this thing, looking at it, hating it. The walls were uneven, the plaster wouldnt dry so the paint was staying wet, my decor was dark and I regretted my colour, my girlfriend was turning out to be weird and just absolutely not for me, we'd just heard my stepdad was ill, and I was sat there thinking absolutely NOTHING about any of this is right, I want to tear it all down but I cant, I've spent a fortune on something I hate (it turned out ok), this woman I've invested feelings in just is not right for me so I need to finish it but that's going to be painful, it was like everything I'd worked towards for months had suddenly turned out to be shit. And the game had an association to this moment. I will go back, but just as I shed that association, my PS4 went pop.

I had this conversation with a pal, strangely, and he can't play Halo 1, because he did it 12 years ago or so to distract himself from a toxic relationship over weekends while his girlfriend was away, but turned out she was still seeing her ex and broke his heart. Halo still reminds him. Jaguar Doom was my first break up game like that, locked myself away for 2 weeks over xmas, holed out at my parents, broken hearted, went through the entire game of jag Doom when all I had before that was a snes, I was very keen on that point on "doing stuff properly" so I wanted a US jag with RGB cable etc, but I had such a pain inside (young heartache burns bad) I just went into Marcliff Computers in Sunderland (ran by Amiga Power my fave mag ever's Mark Ramshaw's parents, fact fans) where Chips ended up and now nothing, plonked down 200 bar and said just give me that PAL jaguar and Doom please, I need some extravagant purchase to ease this bullshit, forget 60hz, forget RGB, i'm fed up, just give me it on PAL and using an RF lead. Still got the copy of Doom, but my Jag broke. Playing it was a revelation, but I was a very sad man

A little OTT there, sorry. Maybe add a side question, if boxoctosis doesn't mind what games can't you play due to bad memories?

• Upvote 8

Infamous: Second Son - really liked the beginning but after the first few hours I quickly grew tired of the jerky, repetitive 'twitch' gameplay. Massively overrated, boring game.

There's very few games I actively decide to abandon, mostly because I'm choosy about what I buy. I do tend to complete games in installments though as I get my attention pulled to new releases far too much. I've got so many nearly completed games this year like Witcher 3, MGSV, Bloodborne that I really do need to go back and complete.

Heh, Fallout 4 here, too.

Same reasons. Repetitive quests, endless combat, terrible dialogue, and having exhausted all interest in the settlement mechanic. I still put a huge wodge of time into it and explored most of the map, but the main quest will remain forever half finished. The last Bethesda Fallout for me, I think.

Magic Carpet

Frame rate is horrible, controls are poor, very repetitive, lots of glitches, often have to hover around forever trying to beat other wizards which seems a half-impossible boring war of attrition.

So this is what it would have been like if the forum was around 20 years ago!

• Upvote 1

I've played a couple of hours of Dragon Age Inqusition, having not played a WRPG before, and I'm simultaneously overwhelmed and mystified to the point that I'm seriously considering not bothering continuing.

I can imagine. There is an awful lot to get to grips with if you are totally new to the genre (plus you won't pick up the references to earlier games, not that those are crucial or game breaking in any way). Take it easy, dial the difficulty down as you get the hang of combat so that crafting (which is useful but particularly unwieldy and confusing to use) isn't essential. Make sure you chat to all your team members and significant (i.e. named) others frequently so you get the most out of Bioware's key strength in this area which is interaction with and between team members. Explore thoroughly - I really enjoyed this aspect and some of the game areas are breathtaking. It's become fashionable here to diss this game in light of W3 but it's still brilliant in its own way. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I remember seeing Magic Carpet in ACE magazine thinking wow, this is the future, then I tried the playstation demo a year later and wow, it stunk.