Goose

Luc Besson's Valerian - Epic sci-fi Blade Runner meets 5th Element - 2017

Admittedly, this one is a long way off but it's gathering pace as filming begins and more cast members are announced. This week Ethan Hawke has been named as joining the likes of Clive Owen, Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevingne and er.. Rihanna.

Here's the official blurb.

Rooted in the classic graphic novel series, Valerian and Laureline- visionary writer/director Luc Besson advances this iconic source material into a contemporary, unique and epic science fiction saga.
Valerian (Dane DeHaan) and Laureline (Cara Delevingne) are special operatives for the government of the human territories charged with maintaining order throughout the universe. Valerian has more in mind than a professional relationship with his partner- blatantly chasing after her with propositions of romance. But his extensive history with women, and her traditional values, drive Laureline to continuously rebuff him.
Under directive from their Commander (Clive Owen), Valerian and Laureline embark on a mission to the breathtaking intergalactic city of Alpha, an ever-expanding metropolis comprised of thousands of different species from all four corners of the universe. Alpha’s seventeen million inhabitants have converged over time- uniting their talents, technology and resources for the betterment of all. Unfortunately, not everyone on Alpha shares in these same objectives; in fact, unseen forces are at work, placing our race in great danger.

With a budget around $170M, this is the most expensive picture that Besson's Eurocorp has ever produced.

post-242-0-58328100-1449690245.png

• Upvote 1

The comics are fantastic - real optimistic 60's sci-fi/fantasy. Beautifuly drawn and full of great Worlds and characters. I can definitely see Cara Delevingne as Lauraline but that kid as Valerian is an interesting choice.

The comics are fantastic - real optimistic 60's sci-fi/fantasy. Beautifuly drawn and full of great Worlds and characters. I can definitely see Cara Delevingne as Lauraline but that kid as Valerian is an interesting choice.

I really should get around to trying them out - I just always opted for Mœbius when I was after my sci-fi fix in the old days. Not so much of an option any more :(

Did the series get a decent English adaptation, then? I was thinking of picking up some French albums, but if there's a good version available in the UK I'd happily pick that up from my local comic shop. I'm just wary of iffy translation work or downsized pages and panels for US/UK-scale comics. You know, assuming it's actually been adapted in the first place.

Eurgh. Clive Owen makes this a film I will avoid at the cinema. He's been playing the exact same character since Privateer 2. He's fucking shit, how on earth does he keep getting top parts?

He's great in The Knick, about as far from 'fucking shit' as you can get. :rolleyes:

Would be nice if Benson could make something good again. It's been a long, long time

Benson is an entertaining work of autocorrect, there :P

I've actually found his stuff to have seen a significant return to form in recent years: Adèle Blanc-Sec was lovely (though the special effects were a bit lacking), and also happened to be a comic adaptation; Lucy was one of the stupidest films I've ever seen, but was a very enjoyable action movie. So I'm a lot more interested in this than if he'd announced it ten years ago.

Getting a Rise Of The Robots and Killer Instinct vibe from that red liquid soldier..which is a good thing. The Fifth Element's special effects still hold up, it's ageing wonderfully. I adore the first half. I think some consider Lucy an enjoyable guilty pleasure but I didn't care for it at all, such a waste of time. Have a good feeling about this though, dunno why. I think Dane DeHaan is a brilliant actor.

That'll do me. Luc Besson has made some really shoddy films, and I kind of suspect this one will be too, but I love the Fifth Element enough to at least suspend my cynicism for now. Even the CGI - for the most part - has that weighty, rubbery feel that the latex aliens in TFE did; hopefully this is a labour of love in the same way the earlier film was.

This is almost certainly going to be another Jupiter Rising rather than another Fifth Element, but I can hope.

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Is this a Young Adult thing?

Yeah, I was thinking 'Oh No, not more teens in peril'. I thought Valerian and Laureline were yer actual adults in the original BDs.