Gizamaluke

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

19 minutes ago, geekette said:

I had seitan ribs with herby potatoes and pulled jackfruit on vegan mac and cheez at the new vegan fast food place in Sheffield the other day. The seitan ribs were quite nice, but the mac and cheez tasted too salty for my liking, and I couldn't really get past there being no veg or salad on the plate at all (and the prices being so high for such a shoddy venue/presentation). I'd much rather eat at a vegetarian place near me where they do a massive plate of salad and home baked rolls with whatever you order, and have plenty of vegan choices - especially as the meal price ends up less for something much more healthy/substantial. But I guess there is a market for vegan fast food, and as a hippy vegetarian who was never much into fast food or meat replacement products I'm just not it.

Not it that it sounds worth visiting but where is this vegan fast food place?

There are two, very near each other, as well as a vegan cake shop that is amazing. Steel City Cakes on Abbeydale Road gave us a massive amount of delicious cakey goodness, and a vegan sausage roll and lots of delicious drinks for a very good price. Just look at their "taster plate"!caaaake.thumb.jpg.e179ac1f181136bcd6681f6e8ade95bd.jpg

BurgerLolz is next door and run by the daughter of the woman behind Steel City Cakes and was the place we tried. The food was good, if you like true fast food - meat replacements and carbs - and people rave about it. So maybe I was alone in finding the mac and cheez salty. But the toilet was mouldy all down the wall, with a broken chain and a squirt of water that splashed you each time you flushed; the basin had a broken tap; the plates were chipped, and the place is very basic, and there were no vegetables, salad or garnish in sight. However the milkshake replacements on the next table looked amazing, and as I said the seitan ribs were good. My kids seemed to like the hotdogs, which came in a part-baked mini-baguette that had been briefly seared in a sandwich press. My other half said the burger was okay but a bit dry and would have benefited from some relish and salad.

The other option we haven't tried yet is Leave Make no Bones which is pretty much parallel to the other two, but on Chesterfield road. Again, it has good reviews, but is mainly a fast food place with vegan meat replacements, although the menu seems to be a bit wider. We'll probably give it a go some time, as we go into Sheffield at least once a month and again it is on the right side to drive past on our way to Waitrose or the cinema.

Oh, and if you want a trip out, my recommendation is for the Green Way cafe in Matlock. All vegetarian with amazing soups, salads, deli meals (where you choose from a range of pates, olives and cheeses to go with fresh baked rolls and a massive salad) and savouries, as well as drinks and cakes. It is a family run place, with a really friendly atmosphere. They always have vegan options on the menu, and have been great about working round allergies.

Edit: Make No Bones was great, had a really good meal there for a reasonable price.

We have been to Steel City cakes - not been since they scored 0 stars in the food hygiene inspection. I do love a decent veggie burger though. Deffo will check them out soon.

I tried a recipe from Aine Carlin's book, Keep It Vegan. (Online version of the recipe here.) It's an asparagus, minted pea, and caramelized red onion tart. Well, it makes four tarts. I didn't have any fresh mint so I had to use dried, but it was still nice. Bit of lemon zest on top, potatoes and salad on the side.
Leftovers for lunch!

26230600_10159903833885002_6627039068580158103_n.jpg.16ea7d759985565f62a72e7d554654a5.jpg

The Jus-Rol ready-to-roll pastry sheets are really handy for stuff like this. You can get shortcrust ones as well that make good pies, or jam tarts or whatever.

• Upvote 2

They have a vegan range, though they are annoyingly difficult to find. They have the big green vegan society logo on the front so are easy to spot. They said some time ago that they were going totally vegan but if that's happening then it's happening very slowly.

Got this vegan chilli recipe from Reddit, today will be my second time making it in the space of two weeks, it's really good. 

Ingredients:

1 Yellow Onion, diced

6 Cloves fresh garlic, diced

1 Red Bell Pepper, diced

1 Green Bell Pepper, diced

1 Habanero Pepper, very small dice

2T Coconut Oil (important - fat is the delivery mechanism of flavor). Can substitute good EVOO if needed.

1 can black beans - low sodium

1 can kidney beans - low sodium

1 can aduki beans - low sodium

1 can great northern beans - low sodium

3/4 cup dry french (or small green) lentils

28 oz can of fired roasted diced tomatoes (good quality)

(2) 4 oz cans of mild green chiles

8 oz tomato sauce

1/3 to 1/2 good beer - either a dark porter like Deschutes Black Butte or a session IPA like Stone Ripper. I prefer the IPA route personally.

Spices:

2T mild chili powder

2tsp red pepper flakes

1tsp Accent (if you are MSG averse, you can leave this out.

1T of each of the following: Smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, and seasoned salt

1tsp fresh ground black pepper

1T cocoa powder

1T coconut sugar (anything non-refined)

1T vegan worcestershire (I use Annie's)

1tsp liquid smoke

Instructions:

Mix all dry seasonings together in a ramekin. Makes it much easier to dump in later.

Open all cans, drain and rinse all beans.

Throw large soup pot on stove, add 2T of oil, turn to medium to medium-high

Cook onion, garlic, and all peppers for about 5 minutes

Add all beans to the pot

Add all dry seasonings to the pot; stir well

Add tomatoes and green chiles (with juices)

Add dry lentils

Add worcestershire and liquid smoke; stir well

Add beer and mix it all up

Turn stove to med-low and cook (slightly covered) for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes. Mine tends to scorch the bottom of the pot if I'm not vigilant about stirring, but that could be more due to the pot I'm using than anything else.

After 45 minutes, add either: 10-15 shakes of original Tabasco (if you like a lot of heat), OR ~1tsp lemon juice. A little vinegar/acidity really makes this chili shine.

Cook for 5-10 more minutes, then serve.

It's on the hot side, so I personally skipped the Tabasco. Also I would recommend frying off the dry spices for a few minutes before adding the wet ingredients. Today I'm planning to make some vegan sour cream to go with it. Yum!

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

Got this vegan chilli recipe from Reddit, today will be my second time making it in the space of two weeks, it's really good. 

It's on the hot side, so I personally skipped the Tabasco. Also I would recommend frying off the dry spices for a few minutes before adding the wet ingredients. Today I'm planning to make some vegan sour cream to go with it. Yum!

It's very similar to the veggie chilli I've evolved over the years - one of my staples, and - *if* I get it right properly tasty (and super cheap too). You can stick all sorts of veg in something like this too - courgette pads it out nicely, spinach is great, but pretty much anything goes (I'd fry up a couple of sticks of finely chopped celery and carrot along with the onion to bulk it out and lower the calorie count per portion for starters ).

This recipe uses better ingredients than some of mine, but if you use the tins of Tomatoes and pulses that Morrison's sell 4 for a quid in their world food aisle, you can make 4 portions for about £1.50 - a stupidly cheap way to eat, very filling and also really good calorie-wise. You can also knock it out almost entirely from store cupboard ingredients at a pinch.

Definitely worth buying a good smoked paprika though (the one in the little metal tin works well) because it's one of the few things where own-brands don't really cut it. Definitely use the cocoa, but err on the side of caution - it adds great depth, but too much is properly minging. The key to mine is lots of cumin - and I always buy seeds, toast them first (as TurningMonster suggests), and then grind them before adding (I don't bother doing this with most spices, but you can really tell the difference with cumin, I think). Black beans are ace in it - not available in the Morrison's deal I mentioned, but worth paying a little extra for. I experiment with the spices all the time - cinnamon's rather nice in it, a little turmeric can work well too, but anything goes. I can't remember using beer in it before, but I've used coffee, and horseradish, and all sorts of other things. It usually ends up pretty good.

Works magnificently well as posh beans on toast (I actually prefer it to rice or jacket spuds... proper nom!)

I made a chickpea, sweet potato and spinach curry last night which just starts of as your basic curry would with spices, onions garlic and chopped tomatoes.  You then added a can of chickpeas, diced sweet potato (parboiled for 10 minutes) and a good handful of spinach a few minutes before the end. 

Also, not a recipe but a couple of recommendations, the Co-op onion bhaji sandwich is nice, and all varieties of Hippeas crisps (found in Asda or online) are vegan, even the cheese and smokey flavours.

On 1/27/2018 at 20:43, TurningMonster said:

I tried this last night, but slightly modified as I didn't have some of the ingredients to hand and I wanted to reduce the heat level so the kids wouldn't combust. It was really good! It had a good consistency and depth of flavour, which is often lacking from other veggie chillies I've tried. We had it with rice and crispy tacos, and there's leftovers for me tonight with a beer or two.

We're not vegan or even veggie, but we're trying to reduce our meat consumption in manageable stages (but not dairy, at least not yet) and recipes like this go down really well. I'm not sure if we'd ever go completely veggie, but I find myself less and less drawn to meat, and even now I'm happy to go without for a few days at a time.

Has anyone got any recommendations for good veggie cook books? Stuff with hearty, filling meals that would be appealing to kids too?

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2018 at 08:06, Plums said:

I highly recommend Fry's mince for making chilli.

Absolutely, it's really pretty good, I make a chilli once a week with it. It's definitely worth using the 'gravy' stuff that comes with it too, I find it adds a bit of depth to it. 

1 hour ago, Chosty said:

I tried this last night, but slightly modified as I didn't have some of the ingredients to hand and I wanted to reduce the heat level so the kids wouldn't combust. It was really good! It had a good consistency and depth of flavour, which is often lacking from other veggie chillies I've tried. We had it with rice and crispy tacos, and there's leftovers for me tonight with a beer or two.

We're not vegan or even veggie, but we're trying to reduce our meat consumption in manageable stages (but not dairy, at least not yet) and recipes like this go down really well. I'm not sure if we'd ever go completely veggie, but I find myself less and less drawn to meat, and even now I'm happy to go without for a few days at a time.

Has anyone got any recommendations for good veggie cook books? Stuff with hearty, filling meals that would be appealing to kids too?

Minimalist Baker (website, not a book), is pretty reliable. I've cooked the ramen recipe a few times and have been pleased with the result.

Depending how much you enjoy cooking, this guy has some really tasty looking recipes, most of which can be found on his YouTube channel. He also has a book that just came out.

If you like Indian food and don't mind sourcing some spices, check out Vegan Richa.

Also you can't do a vegan cookbook list without mentioning Thug Kitchen, just don't let your kids read it.

• Upvote 1