Gizamaluke

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

I've always been a huge meat eater and looked at veggie munching hippies with contempt, but I'm also quite eco minded and this has made me consider going veggie for one or two days a week.

So with that in mind, anyone have any decent, substantial and filling veggie recipes they would like to share?

Lentil burgers sound good. Not keen on quorn and GM stuff tho - would rather nuts, beans and pulses for bulk.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can anyone offer any general advice on the vegetarian thing? Tempted to try it out for January and if it's not too much bother maybe have it a permanent thing. What should I be substituting meat with etc? No issues with Quorn or whatever but health is one of the main reasons I'm doing it so it'd be good to cut out the fatty stuff!

I don't tend to substitute for meat in a meat, potatoes and two veg kind of way, perhaps because I've never eaten it. I just tend to cook stuff that has protein and veg within it. So I might make a stir fry of vegetables with tofu/egg/cashews and noodles, a big pan of curry with butterbeans/paneer/quorn/chickpeas in it along with vegetables and spices and creamed coconut, a soup or stew with potatoes and whatever leftover veg is in the fridge, pasta with a sauce made with chopped tomatoes and some kind of veggie mince and/or topped with cheese (or with a creamy sauce made from condensed mushroom soup and vegetables), stuffed peppers (filled with rice, flaked almonds, halloumi and tomato), pizza with roasted vegetables and pesto, mushroom and broccoli lasagne, pasta bake/macaroni cheese, Spanish omelette, mushrooms stuffed with herby cheesy breadcrumbs, lentil or split pea dhal, chili with beans, burritos, Salads with fresh peas, spinach leaves, feta and balsamic vinegar, etc. My other half will make mashed potato, baked beans and veg as it is nice and simple for the kids. Or egg and chips. Burgers. Pasta with pesto. Quiche and couscous.

You can't really go wrong with pans of roasted veg (red onion, different coloured peppers, courgette, aubergine, carrot, parsnips, tomatoes) and potatoes seasoned with garlic, herbs, oil and soy sauce. And I love roasted butternut, sweet potato, courgette or squash, so they are all an easy win just served with a protein (beans, quorn, cheese, egg) and salad, or whizzed up with some stock into soup.

The other day I saw reduced matzo meal in the supermarket and made a traditional Jewish recipe called kneidlach (dumplings in soup). It was really good comfort food for the colder weather, and super easy to make. You could just as easy make it with a pack of crushed up cream crackers.

What should I be substituting meat with etc? No issues with Quorn or whatever but health is one of the main reasons I'm doing it so it'd be good to cut out the fatty stuff!

I find that Quorn works really well, especially as a transition because you can cook recipes you are used to. As far as health goes it's pretty good source of protein but also very low in fat.

It's particularly good for Chilli (you cant beat a good bean chilli as well), bolognese, cottage pie (for the mince) and stir fries for the "chicken" lumps. It absorbs flavour really well, so marinading it a bit , or adding a bit more sauce than you would normally can help.

Tesco does a really good vegetarian meatball as well.

• Upvote 1

I've been vegan for three years now and have found that you're pretty spoilt for amazing recipes these days. If you're going to buy a book, either of these are highly recommended, neither are preachy and are great for changing diet completely or just some ideas for food that happens to be meat/dairy-free.

Chloe's Kitchen | Thug Kitchen (book) Blog

If you search the web for "vegan version of <insert favourite food here>" you're almost guaranteed to find a great alternative – there are some really great ideas and recipes out there.

Seitan and tofu make great protein substitutes, I always add a couple of tins of lentils/chickpeas/beans into salads to bulk them up and for a really quick and tasty meal buy some garam (chickpea) flour, mix a cup of it with water until a bit runny (like a thin milkshake), fry up a load of garlic, onions, chilli and spinach, season with salt & pepper. Pour in the garam mixture (make sure you have enough just about cover it in the pan and fry for a few minutes (lift it up to see if it's browning nicely. Flip it over (I find covering the pan with a plate, then flipping them over before sliding it back in is the easiest) cook until set and you have an amazing Spinach tortilla. This works with any filling you like, really, so just go with whatever you fancy.

BTW: Quorn products aren't suitable for a vegan diet as they contains egg and/or milk

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to email any recipes your way.

• Upvote 4

I like lentils.

So last night I bit the bullet and tried quorn meatballs in a moroccan tomato, roasted veg and cous cous recipe, and I really liked them! Was always put off because of the bad press, but after doing a bit of reading, it seems fine to me. Tasty and nutritious too.

• Upvote 3

I've been vegetarian since about May. There's so much you can eat - we've tried so many things.

I had this last night:http://minimalistbaker.com/chickpea-shawarma-sandwich/I give it 5 stars.

I also love falafel with a fattoush salad. So good! I use Cauldron falafel but it's also easy to make your own: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fattoush_86811

Chana masala is also really easy, filling and very tasty! I like this recipe: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/24/how-to-make-the-perfect-chana-masala

• Upvote 2

It's fine when I have time to cook, the rest of the time I find myself eating quite a bland diet and far too much bread at lunchtime. I did a big ocado shop and got loads of vegan substitute stuff. Some of it is quite good. Expensive though, but that is probably just a reflection on a lot of the poor quality stuff I was eating before as much as anything else.

Also I need somewhere local that I can pick up bits and pieces. I have a decent greengrocer near me but I need somewhere I can get non veg stuff.

Basically studying makes things difficult as I don't have any time to cook or shop.

• Upvote 1

You guys might want to check out these blogs for vegetarian & vegan recipes:

http://www.mynewroots.org/ Plant based, mostly vegan but also vegetarian recipes. Her 'Life changing loaf of Bread' is incredible.

http://www.peasoupeats.comGreat vegan food and lifestyle blog, whose writer is our very own forum member Cheeko's wife. She also has 2 published cookbooks.

• Upvote 5

Also I need somewhere local that I can pick up bits and pieces. I have a decent greengrocer near me but I need somewhere I can get non veg stuff.

As if in answer to my request this place opened near me last week. It's really nice and also very cheap for the meals. Haven't had a chance to try some of the more junky stuff (eating a kebab for lunch just seems wrong), but they sell a good range of vegan substitute stuff that I've never heard of, mostly imported, stuff that you don't get in supermarkets.

I bought some cheese and some sausages and they were the best vegan cheese and sausages I've ever had, so that was a good start.

I've been veggie for ages but don't remember the switch being particularly traumatic. Chances are you're now eating loads of fibre and (as a vegan) very few things that'll block you up, so it could well just be fallout from what you were eating before. On a day-to-day basis I think I'm happily unremarkable, but I definitely get the odd day where the return-on-investment seems somewhat generous (it's usually a couple of exceptional (very occasionally borderline debilitating) visits, rather than being constant trips though, FWIW).

I got Thug Kitchen for Christmas and I'm trying to eat at least one or two vegan/ veggie meals a week (the other cookbook I got was nothing but rubs, brines and marinades for meat, so, uh, interesting combo). I'd highly recommend the book, it goes a long way to showing how vegan food doesn't need to be boring, and manages to come up with ways to make tofu not a complete piece of shit.

• Upvote 1

On 12/04/2016 at 15:27, carlospie said:

Off topic but Iv been on a vegan diet for 4 days and I can't stop shitting. Is this normal? Does it sort itself out? 

:lol:
Sorry, this really tickled me.

I've been vegan for six months and, yeah, I've become a bit more "regular" too, but that's probably normal with eating lots of fibre. Did it sort itself out?

---

Another recommendation for Thug Kitchen. Come for the recipes, stay for the swearing. :D
I've only tried a few of their recipes so far, but their sweet potato and black bean enchiladas are fucking amazing.

There can be a lot of prep because they make everything from scratch and sometimes you just don't have the time, so here are some quick go-to meals I tend to keep going to:

Roasted veg, couscous and humous.
Just stick a load of mediterranean veg (peppers, courgettes, onions, whole garlic cloves, whatever) in a baking tray, cover with oil and any herbs or spices you like and roast for at least 30 minutes. If they crisp and burn, even better. Cook some couscous in veg stock, maybe with some pine nuts and pomegranate seeds mixed in. A dollop of humous on the side. Maybe a flatbread or pitta. I love this, it's so simple but hits the spot. The more garlic the better, unless you hate garlic, you weirdo.

Scrambled tofu.
Cauldron's extra firm tofu (others might be okay but I've found the extra firm stuff is best), dry it off best you can on kitchen paper, cut it into little pieces and mash the hell out of it in a bowl 'til it looks a bit like scrambled egg. Add loads of turmeric (it turns it eggy yellow in colour), maybe a bit of cumin, cayenne for spice. Fry up some onions and garlic in a pan, add the tofu, stick in a load of spinach leaves (they shrink down) and cook through. Serve on toast or on its own. Add other stuff if you like (peppers, chillies, whatever).

Speaking of quick "something on toast" lunches/dinners, my new favourite thing is...

Avacado on toast.

Get a nice soft, ripe avacado, cut it open and scoop it out. Mash it up, season with a bit of salt and pepper. Optional chilli flakes for a bit of spiciness. Get some nice sourdough bread or thick cut granary, spread mixture on it. It sounds terribly boring but I love it.

Stir-fry (various).

You can get cans of Chinese "mock meat". The Chinese work miracles with soya and gluten, I don't know how they do it, but they're incredible. A packet sauce, non-egg noodles, stir-fry veg pack. Cheating but easy to do and usually hits the spot.

Home-made pasta sauce (and pasta).
Most dry pasta is vegan-friendly (it's fresh stuff in restautants you have to watch out for). I tend to make a sauce using passata (sieved tomatoes) as it's healthier than the packet/jar stuff. Garlic, onions, chillis, whatever. I used to get Tesco's soya meat balls but they've got egg in them, so now I buy Linda McCartney sausages (which are awesome) and cut them up into chunks. Chuck them in the sauce. Black pepper and a bit of vegan parmesan grated on top. (Vegan parmesan is virtually indistinguishable from regular parmesan, unlike other cheese alternatives.)

Veggie fajitas.
I don't bother with a "meat substitute" in these, I just chop up mushrooms, onions and peppers, add some sweetcorn to bulk it out. Again, I cheat and use a packet mixture but it's probably not too hard to make your own if you've got time. Top with salsa, avacado or a vegan sour cream (Tesco does one in their free-from aisle).

If anyone is thinking of trying vegan soon (even for a little while), take a look at the Veganuary website. They've got recipes and restaurant guides, and they're super friendly. I wasn't 100% planning to stick with the vegan diet, but I found it such a positive experience during January that I couldn't think of any reason to stop. Yeah, I sometimes miss proper cheese but you get over it. Taste buds change. I eat all sorts of thing I never used to and get all new cravings for vegetables and stuff. It's mad, but awesome. :)

EDIT: Quorn have started doing a vegan range but it's not available everywhere yet. I quite like their stuff. Very easy to just have with a side of something.

EDIT2: Also, falafel. All the falafels. Forever. :wub:

• Upvote 6

I had a great butternut and coconut soup in a local cafe, and the chef told me it was really easy to make. Sweat down loads of onions, steam or microwave the butternut and add to the pan, add stock, coconut cream and a large handful of fresh coriander. Blitz. You can serve with a sprinkle of soy toasted sunflower seeds or some toasted flaked almonds if you want to up the protein and get bonus presentation points. You could easily swap the butternut with sweet potato, yam, carrot or other root veg for variety.

Also, broad bean, pea and/or edamame with mint makes a good variety on humus.

• Upvote 5