Vespa Alex

Which Saturn games are worth playing today?

I'm going through the old consoles in my loft, and have now got to the Saturn.

I never had one at the time, having sensibly opted for the Playstation instead, and picked this one up from a boot sale a while back. I'd tested it worked then stored it but I thought it was about time I fired it up and gave it a go.

So far, first impressions aren't great as the driving games like Sega Rally I've tried look pretty dire on a 40" TV but more importantly they just don't play well at all. Bubble Bobble was as good as ever, but then I've got that on just about every system going and it's not enough of a reason to keep the Saturn out.

So, before I decide to box it up again, what should I be tracking down now that will help to change my mind, ideally something that isn't available on the Playstation or done better on the Dreamcast?

If you haven't got a CRT telly / decent upscaler I wouldn't bother at all. And - mid-nineties 50hz output on a HDTV aside - the accessories you'll need and the value of the systems exclusive greats (Guardian Heroes, for example) will likely be too high to justify.

Sega Rally though - if you found that played badly then pack it all away forever.

• Upvote 1

I'm just looking at what I've got, and Burning Rangers and Three Dirty Dwarves seem to fetch £80 each!

Loaded looks like more my kind of thing - will try that next and hook it up to a 14" portable and see if that feels more like it.

Manx TT is great fun and very cheap to pick up.

I found it better than the Road Rash games and can't remember any better arcade motorbike racing until Project Gotham.

• Upvote 2

Manx TT is great fun and very cheap to pick up.

Ah, got that one, thanks

Actua Golf

Alien Trilogy

Athlete Kings

Baku Baku

Bubble Bobble

Burning Rangers

Cyber Speedway

Golden Axe ,

The Duel

Grid Run Loaded

Manx TT

Olympic Soccer

Panzer dragoon 2

Sega Ages 1

Sega Rally

Sega Touring Car championship

Sonic 3d

Sonic Jam

Street Fighter Alpha

Three Dirty Dwarves

Virtua Cop 2

Virtua Fighter 2

Virtua racing

Wipeout

Exhumed, as mentioned upthread. The Saturn got solid (excellent for the time) ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D too but of course you can get modern source ports of those that are thoroughly superior.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 was a personal fave. Athlete Kings & Winter Heat are also good fun. What else? Marvel Super Heroes has some great stages and I'm pretty sure it'll run without the upgrade cart (don't quote me, it's been a while!) Vampire Savior kicks ass but defo needs extra RAM and I don't remember it getting a Western release. Ooh, Shining Force III I remember enjoying and NHL Powerplay was always a good stand-in for EA's Mega Drive hockey games.

EDIT: Ah, Die Hard Arcade! Give that a whirl -- it's probably aged badly but it was vastly preferable to Fighting Force I thought.

Fucking hell no-one has mentioned Radiant Silvergun yet which is still utterly breathtaking

Other shooters (also easily available via MAME) are great on the system too - Battle Garegga being the absolute highlight

• Upvote 2

The ps1 doom was ropey so I can't see the Saturn being anything other than dire.

I haven't played Saturn Doom, but the Saturn ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D were done by the same guys as Exhumed, and both play brilliantly.

Don't play Sega Touring Car Championship. It's probably the worst console racing game I've ever played. How on Earth Sega could produce such an amazing port of Sega Rally and then a couple of years later churn out that turd is anyone's guess.

saturn doom was by RAGE uk and is absolutely abysmal, comfortably the worst version of doom ever made, yes, including the snes port. the programmer came out years later blaming carmack for not letting them use their own engine.

its tricky to give examples of good saturn games that you cant play better elsewhere, if you have a CRT i would play virtua cop 1, 2 and house of the dead.

• Upvote 1

EDIT: Ah, Die Hard Arcade! Give that a whirl -- it's probably aged badly but it was vastly preferable to Fighting Force I thought.

I remember we had a Segaflash demo disc (Vol. 5 or maybe 8 I think?) that had a demo of DHA on. We played it over and over very regularly. So much fun. :)

Speaking of which, I loved the Segaflash demo discs. They were presented brilliantly. In a time before we had the net, they were like little playable TV games news shows.

• Upvote 1

Top of my wants list for the Saturn would be the Parodius compilation, because arcade perfect Parodius. Oh, and Sexy Parodius.

Bought a Saturn from a charity shop last year for next to nothing. Regret it now, as it's a PAL machine. I thought I'd get round to modding it, but probably never will, too much other stuff to do with higher priorities. A Japanese Saturn with some of the good games would be great though.

My recommendation is Sega Rally because it is one of the greatest games of all time and you are wrong.

I own Sega Rally, SR2 on Dreamcast, SR 2006 and the port of the arcade original on PS2, SR Revo on 360.

I really like them all but the Saturn original is to this day my favourite of the lot. It just handles like a dream with the saturn analogue pad. Also, I didn`t even have a saturn back in the day so this is not nostalgia blinkers. It`s basically a perfect arcade racer, as far as I`m concerned. If you can`t see past the crappy graphics, that`s a shame :)

The PS2 got a decent port of the arcade original here in Japan (came as a set with Sega Rally 2006, Japan only I think). It`s pretty good, but the controls don`t feel as nice as the Saturn pad.

Layer Section is a great shmup that can be bought cheap (Japanese version). Has one of my favourite videogame soundtracks of all time.

Also, I disagree about Sega Touring Car Championship being "probably the worst console racing game ever". Sure, it looks like a turd, but they clearly made sacrifices on graphics etc in order to provide a sense of speed. I do think that game plays well and has a very good sense of speed.

The Saturn remains one of my top 3 consoles of all time. These are the games from my collection that get regular playtime to this day:

Nights

Daytona USA (both versions have their good and bad points)

Manx TT

Layer Section

Radiant Silvergun (although I have the 360 version due to price)

Sega Rally

Soukyugurentai

Saturn Bomberman

Dynamite Dekka/Die Hard Arcade

Metal Slug (pretty decent port imo)

Fighting Vipers

Space Harrier

Outrun

Afterburner 2

Sky Target

Clockwork Knight 2

Virtual On

Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2

• Upvote 1

Don't play Sega Touring Car Championship. It's probably the worst console racing game I've ever played. How on Earth Sega could produce such an amazing port of Sega Rally and then a couple of years later churn out that turd is anyone's guess.

Yeah, that was fairly dire - the car handled like it was on shopping trolley wheels so it lasted about thirty seconds.

Anyway, I remembered a wheel in the loft so I fished that out and gave Sega Rally another go. Much better with analog controls instead of the standard pad so that was good fun, and the Manx TT game was pretty decent too.

Baku Baku was surprisingly addictive fun with a nice variation on the tetris style mechanic and I've got a few more to work my way through.

I'll definitely track down some of the recommendations people have posted here, and I need to get a CR2032 for it as well to save having to (not) set the time whenever it's powered back on.

I'm going to go against the consensus now but despite how much I loved my Saturn at the time, it has not aged well at all. Nights is still an absolute classic but the 3d stuff just doesn't look good anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sega Rally is still brilliant. Panzer Dragoon 2 and Street Fighter Alpha from your list are also very good. Most of the best Saturn games are Japanese and/or 2D though. If you like Vs. Fighting and Shoot Em Ups, there is a great selection. Treat yourself to an RGB Scart cable for a great output and a mod chip for imports/copies.