System 3 going to crowd-fund a Last Ninja HD Remake

System 3 have tested fan demand for a remake of Last Ninja but don't seem to want to put their own money up. They're going the crowd funding route and plan to launch a campaign in October.

From their Facebook page -

After popular support from the community, System 3 are pleased to confirm that it will crowd fund a new Last Ninja HD game. Last Ninja will be 30 years old in 2017 and we plan to start the crowd funding towards the end of October this year.

However we need your continued support. Before we launch the crowd fund we need YOU the fans to continue backing us. For a game to be successfully crowd funded you need at least 10,000 backers. Please like the System 3 Facebook home page which will allow us to continue to listen to you and keep you informed of all developments.

I'm curious to see how this plays out because to my limited knowledge, there have been at least two previous attempts. There was one that looked a bit like Tenchu and another in the same vein as the original game but with incredibly detailed graphics. I remember seeing both version in Edge some time in the 2000s (may even have been earlier than that).

Reading through their page on FB, it looks like they tried to get 100,000 'likes' before they'd consider it a viable project. I really have no idea how that is meant to work. I can like a status but doesn't mean I'd want to chip in £50. Is the idea you'd get 50,000 likes, which means you'd know enough people were interested? (they ended up getting 30,000)

https://www.facebook.com/System3Games/

It seems they ignored the lack of likes and then moved to the 10,000 backers thing, which seems arbitrary at first, but one of the posts says they'll match the funding dollar-for-dollar so perhaps that figure is based on their assumed price for the game.

Or, more likely, it's still just an arbitrary number they've plucked out of the air.

You'd think there would be quite a lot of demand for the game and the bloke who did the music said it was a smash hit which sold Millions of copies back in the day.

In 1988, I was lucky to have the opportunity to produce the whole soundtrack for System 3's Last Ninja 2, the sequel to a C64 mega-smash. I was given free rein to produce the coolest music I could. The game was an international smash selling millions of units.

I think the problem with creating a modern version of The Last Ninja is that the gameplay hasn't aged well at all. So you either stick with something familiar which won't be great to play or you build something new based on the original theme which isn't really going to satisfy anybody looking for a nostalgia hit.

Yeah, I tried playing Last Ninja on C64 recently and whilst it's a classic series and has some of the best isometric environments on any 8-bit game, it's really clunky and needlessly tricky. I honestly can't see anyone keeping the original feel but making it more playable.

Think I'll just stick with the quality music.

The big draw of the original Last Ninja was the graphics, it felt like the next natural progression of Ultimate's isometric games. There was nothing really like it.

Move forward 30 years (nearly) and 3D games are the norm, except playing the Last Ninja on the C64 is a total pain to play (like vimster says). The controls are completely fucked up. And the gameplay is pretty boring. Walk to a place. Fight someone. Walk to another place.

Insuppose it could benefit from an update to the controls!

I played it at egx* and the old memories kicked in and I completed the 1st level without missing a jump...

Ok I didn't find the right spot to throw the fucking smoke at the dragon! Grrrrrr my weak spot

I'd probably back this as I love the original but doubt it will work too well.

* should've had iridium or pardroid on to show off the c64 properly ... Similarly the Amiga was showing something meh (can't even recall what) instead of say speedball 2 or sensi

What is EGX?

I have the same mixed feelings about how interesting this will turn out to be as an actual game.

I like the idea of comprehensive, updated remakes of classic 8-bit series, such as if they could put all of the old games into one package with updated graphics and sound (like the Ultimate XBox package I guess) along with lots of nice extras, directors commentary, stuff like that.

But I'm not sure that Last Ninja is the best choice - like others have said the core gameplay was fairly dull and kids these days would just find it needlessly fiddly and difficult.

Didn't you have to choose between short, medium and long-distance jumps in at least one of the games? To hop over rocks in a river? I guess they could just scrap stuff like this to replace it with responsive/controlled jumping like most games have. If fact back then most games had it too, I think... (Mario etc).

Or am I just making that up and you never had a choice of jump distances?

What is EGX?

I have the same mixed feelings about how interesting this will turn out to be as an actual game.

I like the idea of comprehensive, updated remakes of classic 8-bit series, such as if they could put all of the old games into one package with updated graphics and sound (like the Ultimate XBox package I guess) along with lots of nice extras, directors commentary, stuff like that.

But I'm not sure that Last Ninja is the best choice - like others have said the core gameplay was fairly dull and kids these days would just find it needlessly fiddly and difficult.

Didn't you have to choose between short, medium and long-distance jumps in at least one of the games? To hop over rocks in a river? I guess they could just scrap stuff like this to replace it with responsive/controlled jumping like most games have. If fact back then most games had it too, I think... (Mario etc).

Or am I just making that up and you never had a choice of jump distances?

I seem to remember the jump distance was connected to the direction you pushed the joystick. It was shit because that also affected the direction you moved - so you could only do certain length jumps in certain directions. I must have died hundreds of times in that bloody bog on the second level.

Hold down fire to jump. Move the stick

-horizontally for a short jump

-diagonally for a medium jump

-vertically for a long jump

I think that was how it went anyway. It meant that the river and the swamp were essentially trial and error combination locks.

They dropped that system for the second game onwards.