Vin

Resident Evil 2 Remake - 1-Shot Demo January 11th

I get all that but I'd like to be able to shoot them through the glass. Then I'd like 50 zombies to pile through to punish you for doing it. I appreciate that's not likely to be possible though.

10 minutes ago, DC said:

I get all that but I'd like to be able to shoot them through the glass. Then I'd like 50 zombies to pile through to punish you for doing it. I appreciate that's not likely to be possible though.

I appreciate that and fully get where you are coming from. Ultimately though it's supposed to be similar to the original, warts and all.

Had Square done the same we could have been playing a sumptuous FFVII remake by now and not the crazy OTT emo fest it's likely to be. 

• Upvote 2

I heard something VERY exciting on a podcast. Spoilers about potential modes if that bothers you.

Someone datamined something called 'rogue mode' which may randomise item placement, making the game endlessly replayable!

• Upvote 4

This thread is weird, the reception around the web seems to be a bit mixed, but you've got these incredibly defensive posts in here attacking every criticism as if it's a personal insult.

And they're from the same people who are writing big flowery "ooh, my nostalgia" posts, wonder if there's a connection there.

• Downvote 1

Nah, it’s just a very promising game that just released a great demo. I’ve never played RE2 and the remake is my most anticipated game at the moment (and has been for months). 

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

This thread is weird, the reception around the web seems to be a bit mixed, but you've got these incredibly defensive posts in here attacking every criticism as if it's a personal insult.

And they're from the same people who are writing big flowery "ooh, my nostalgia" posts, wonder if there's a connection there.

What’s weird is the people attacking it for being a remake of Resident Evil 2 and complaining about standard features of most games. Why can’t I shoot out the windows and climb over the wall, and use the vending machine, and make a coffee, and use the payphone to call my mum blah blah blah.

IT’S RESIDENT MUTHAFUCKING EVIL MUTHAFUCKING 2.

• Upvote 3

I don't think it's complaining so much as just expecting things these days, for example I thought I'd be able to climb through an open window. Never would have expected to back then, but I can't now unlearn 20 years of progression. I doubt it will hamper my enjoyment one bit once I get stuck in. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don't think it's complaining so much as just expecting things these days, for example I thought I'd be able to climb through an open window. Never would have expected to back then, but I can't now unlearn 20 years of progression. I doubt it will hamper my enjoyment one bit once I get stuck in. 

In Resident Evil 7 I can’t jump over the waist-high wooden fence and peg it into the wilderness. Despite 100% being what I would do in that situation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Do you have a Russian-bot inspired script installed that randomly posts this in threads throughout the forum every few hours?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That 20 years of “progression” is why the industry has entered a state where a game like this stands out as a throwback to the “good old days” and a massive subversion of modern trends.

We shouldn’t be expecting the game to have these features when they won’t serve the core play. If they are there then great but we shouldn’t be missing them when they are not there.

That people are missing them only sets a precedent that fuels a cycle where companies like Eidos are dropping one hundred million dollars on Tomb Raider games because the games now “must” be something more than what they are supposed to be.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm not expecting them or missing them merely making an honest observation, I'll quite happily play the game by its own rules accepting its idiosyncrasies. I think most people commenting are aware they're playing a remake of a 20 year old game but there's no harm discussing it, it's also not beyond criticism just because of its inherently old design - it's a modern product being aimed at modern audiences. The inventory coming up every time you try and interact with anything is poor design imo.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ferine said:

It's not too late for them to patch in a document detailing how the RCPD blew their quarterly underspend on making all the glass in the precinct bulletproof.

This is just under £30 on PC via CDKeys, by the way.

they keep dropping the price. I wonder if it will go down anymore? The deluxe has dropped down to less than £40 as well, but £10 for a few extra costumes seems a little excessive.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The inventory coming up every time you try and interact with anything is poor design imo.

Sounds better than you needing to manually open the inventory whilst stood next to something that might require an item from your inventory. Now that's poor design.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm not expecting them or missing them merely making an honest observation, I'll quite happily play the game by its own rules accepting its idiosyncrasies. I think most people commenting are aware they're playing a remake of a 20 year old game but there's no harm discussing it, it's also not beyond criticism just because of its inherently old design - it's a modern product being aimed at modern audiences. The inventory coming up every time you try and interact with anything is poor design imo.

But  not being able to shoot out windows, or having medallion puzzles, isn’t due to this being a remake of an “old design philosophy” - all modern, contemporary games impose arbitrary and inconsistent restrictions on the player - all games do this.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bojangle said:

Sounds better than you needing to manually open the inventory whilst stood next to something that might require an item from your inventory. Now that's poor design.

Yeah it's half way there, just a description or a hint of some sort would alleviate the issues I have with it - for example, going back to the open window, I thought the game was signposting it because it wanted me to climb through, or that it is of some importance, but it just brings up my inventory so I'm left with no idea.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

But  not being able to shoot out windows, or having medallion puzzles, isn’t due to this being a remake of an “old design philosophy” - all modern, contemporary games impose arbitrary and inconsistent restrictions on the player - all games do this. 

I didn't comment on not being able to shoot through windows, and yeah you're right, all games do this, I'm just reminded how convoluted the puzzles in Resi were/are. It's not like they exist in some abstract space, they're integrated into the world, which leaves them feeling a bit odd at times. I mean its ok to discuss this isn't it, I'm not hurting your feelings or anything? 

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I didn't comment on not being able to shoot through windows, and yeah you're right, all games do this, I'm just reminded how convoluted the puzzles in Resi were/are. It's not like they exist in some abstract space, they're integrated into the world, which leaves them feeling a bit odd at times. I mean its ok to discuss this isn't it, I'm not hurting your feelings or anything? 

You can discuss this, is it ok if I challenge it?

You’re criticizing the realism of the progression system in these games, but... that's what a lot of fans enjoy about the series. And we haven’t played the full game to see how they’re justified in the game world.

It’s a bit silly in Spider-man how every electronic device uses the same Pipe Mania minigame. Or in God of War how chests were hidden behind a series of axe puzzles. Those were odd and immersion-breaking design decisions (if you want them to be).

I haven't played Spider-man but the difference with God of War is that the chests are being protected by ancient magical forces, which is its whole premise. In Resi 2 we're talking about the key to the basement in a police station. 

And again it's not so much criticism as observation. I am a fan of the series too and played them all first time around, but I can't honestly say I've missed some of those aspects, the medallions for example, it just feels very dated. It doesn't so much break immersion, more just a bit of a pain in the arse. Not helped of course by a demo which is only 30 mins long - in the full game you'll be able to take your time and relax more.

Anyway the fact that you can't shoot out windows is bit silly but also immersion breaking. It's nothing to get up in arms over but I would've really liked it if they at least shattered Source/Counter-Strike style (which is an extremely simple but realistic effect). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Anyway the fact that you can't shoot out windows is bit silly but also immersion breaking. It's nothing to get up in arms over but I would've really liked it if they at least shattered Source/Counter-Strike style (which is an extremely simple but realistic effect). 

Yeah, that would be a nice touch. Keep the restriction in place that works for gameplay reasons, but gives you a greater sense that while you might try to escape you can’t.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I haven't played Spider-man but the difference with God of War is that the chests are being protected by ancient magical forces, which is its whole premise.

So is the ancient magical force trying to protect them or not? Because leaving three bells or whatever lying around which  it just so happens can be hit by a projectile axe is sloppy. And hiding them in plain sight even more so, it’s like they were trying to make them more difficult leading up to Kratos’ final confrontation, which doesn’t make sense, and really they just want Kratos to take the weapons... and what of the other projectile-firing inhabitants of the game world. Why are the dark elves not interested in all those chests littering their kingdom?

How do Brokk and Sindri sustain a business when they give weapon upgrades away and have seemingly zero other customers in the game?

I think the underlying issue I'm trying to discuss is whether these old game play mechanics still feel, well, old. I'm not hand waving away any issues with God of War you think it has, but I feel that those bell puzzles, many you can ignore anyway, are integrated into the core game play of using your axe and I feel that it's consistent in that sense. In Resi I do think it's a bit convoluted and showing its age. It's not a massive deal and how much it interupts the game as a whole we'll find out. At the moment after playing the demo I just thought it felt incongruous and made me think just how ridiculous the whole premise is, so it is immersion breaking in that sense. I didn't ever feel that really playing God of War.

58 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

How do Brokk and Sindri sustain a business when they give weapon upgrades away and have seemingly zero other customers in the game?

mgc.gif

• Upvote 3

GAME want to take payment for the collectors edition one week before January payday. That’s... inconvenient! 

And you can't link Guest orders to accounts, or edit them. Wowsers. Almost forgot what a bunch of cowboys Game are.