Yoshimax

Crackdown 3

splash2.jpg

Open World gaming has always been synonymous with “go anywhere, do anything” – and while the campaign for Crackdown 3 is set to deliver a massive new city for you to play in and explore, it’s our groundbreaking multiplayer mode that truly embraces the “do anything” part of the open world promise.

Envision a wall.
For decades, walls have existed in games – and they’ve remained largely unchanged over time. From the humble wall in a 3D monster maze, to any wall in current gen games, these barriers tend to exhibit two common characteristics: they are there to constrict you, and they are fake. You shoot them with an assault rifle and a game designer tells the game to stick a “bullet hole” decal at the point of impact. Shoot it with a rocket launcher, you get a bigger “scorch mark.” Even colossal mechs find walls in most video games to be immovable objects with infinite health.

Why can’t you shoot a hole in the wall?

Why can’t you blast an opening and step through it?

Why can’t you make the wall collapse, crushing the enemy that was hiding behind it?

The answer is simple, and it’s the same answer that has historically held back how rich and detailed game developers can make their worlds: Compute power and memory.

The walls in Crackdown 3 Multiplayer are not inhibited by such things. Our walls are connected to the Microsoft Cloud, which provides compute power and memory on demand.

Every bullet you fire at a wall in Crackdown 3 Multiplayer removes a piece of it. Barriers act as you would expect when being peppered by projectiles…

Now imagine an entire city.
Buildings, bridges, tunnels – everything is physical.

No doors around? Not a problem, create one. Want to slice off the top of a skyscraper and have it crush your enemies below? Go ahead. Want to bring the whole building crashing down in the direction of your choice? You can make it happen in Crackdown 3 Multiplayer.

While most multiplayer games today run entirely on a single server, we are enabling multiple server cloud connections just to manage the structures in our world – arming each of our players with 20x the power of a single Xbox One to unleash 100% destruction.

All this adds up to more unlimited possibilities. Play the game how you want to play it.

“Do anything”…

Dave Jones, Founder & Creative Director
Reagent Games

GrimyColossalCentipede.gif

http://www.crackdown.com

http://www.reagentgames.com/

• Upvote 4

So it really is multiplayer-only destruction, then. This just dropped from 'console-seller' to 'game I'll probably pick up at some point, I guess', solely on having enjoyed the original Crackdown. A real shame, the destruction looked jaw-droppingly good fun, but I've absolutely zero interest in playing a separate multiplayer mode.

• Upvote 5

Really? I'd be much more gutted if the destruction was single player only. The idea of me and a few mates being let loose on a city with 100% destruction is a real bonus for me.

• Upvote 4

Can't see how destruction on that scale would work in single player anyway.. it'd be too easy being able to just blow the crap out of an enemy stronghold from a distance, killing all inside..

Plus building navigation would be too easily broken if you needed to scale an adjacent building to get a leg up on a taller one and.. oops you knocked it down..

It just wouldn't work..

They've not said there WON'T be SP destruction - just not 100% like in multi.. maybe towers can't be destroyed (or until their objective is completed) but you can still blow the crap out of them cosmetically.. or nonessential objects have full damage simulation on them but critical ones don't..

VERY glad the following return..

Agency boss/VO guy.. he is an integral part of Crackdown..

Criminal network is back, taking out various lieutenants responsible for aspects of the organisation weakens them in those areas later on..

Also

Hope those mechs are hijackable..

Looks like we get female agents too this time round..

I'm with Wiper. I've no interest in multiplayer so if there's no real destruction in the single player game it not half as interesting for me.

• Upvote 4

Why does everyone think they'll be singleplayer? They didn't mention it at all during the video and it looks like it's supposed to be an online world type game like the Crew or the Division.

Did they mention it in the actual conference that I missed?

Why does everyone think they'll be singleplayer? They didn't mention it at all during the video and it looks like it's supposed to be an online world type game like the Crew or the Division.

Open World gaming has always been synonymous with “go anywhere, do anything” – and while the campaign for Crackdown 3 is set to deliver a massive new city for you to play in and explore, it’s our groundbreaking multiplayer mode that truly embraces the “do anything” part of the open world promise.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So no then, as Destiny has a campaign and is multiplayer-only.

• Downvote 1

In the multiplayer mode, will it be possible to make your agent gay another man?

Apparently the power of the cloud mean that the staple of multiplayer gaming, the teabag, will be complemented by bagpiping and dirty sanchezes. Only on xbox one.

Eurogamer is saying it has single player.

L48lSuV.png

VV: "Single player" isn't mentioned either, and multiplayer is one word.

Destiny is a different game entirely, and had no direct predecessor.

Need for Speed: The Launch one was online only and is a long-running series. It is also a different genre from both Destiny and Crackdown, not that that means anything for the likelihood of being an online shared world game.

Because

The main campaign will once again be co-operative and will support up to four players.

and the two previous games also had single player. Until someone says otherwise, it's reasonable to assume it will.

Single player is not one word, for reference.

Already quoted to you by Mr Do, but you appear to have misread it, so I'll add the cropped and emphasised version for you:

while the campaign for Crackdown 3 is set to deliver a massive new city for you to play in and explore, it’s our groundbreaking multiplayer mode that truly embraces the “do anything” part

i.e. there's a campaign, and it's distinct from the multiplayer mode; they're mentioned specifically as being two separate entities. The campaign still has co-op, of course, but it's definitely being advertised as separate from the multiplayer mode so there's no reason to assume it won't support single-player.

Can't see how destruction on that scale would work in single player anyway.. it'd be too easy being able to just blow the crap out of an enemy stronghold from a distance, killing all inside..

Plus building navigation would be too easily broken if you needed to scale an adjacent building to get a leg up on a taller one and.. oops you knocked it down..

It just wouldn't work..

From the Gamescom thread, the simple solution:

The obvious solution would be to allow wanton destruction in single-player, but when you next return to an area the buildings are under reconstruction, and the time after that fully rebuilt. But perhaps Microsoft wouldn't want to have to dedicate the resources to support that level of strain on their servers for ever single-player instance at any given moment.

In much the same way as the massive pile-ups you can cause in most sandbox city games would quickly bring the game world to horrible traffic hell, making it unnavigable, but that's not an issue as the games quietly clean them away once out of sight. As pob suggested in the above thread, it's easy to handwave in the the Crackdown universe in particular, just thank magical-future-tech/nanomachines/whatever.

i.e. there's a campaign, and distinct from that there's a multiplayer mode; they're mentioned specifically as being two separate entities. The campaign still has co-op mode, of course, but it's definitely being advertised as separate from the multiplayer mode.

I think everyone else is misreading it, it implies to me an online campaign is a separate mode from an online competitive multiplayer. Campaign = PvE, Competitive = PvP.

Like Destiny Campaign and Crucible are separate, but neither is offline.

The first few lines of the press release in the first post heavily imply that campaign and multi are separate..

EDIT: Beaten

From the Gamescom thread, the simple solution:

In much the same way as the massive pile-ups you can cause in most sandbox city games would quickly bring the game world to horrible traffic hell, making it unnavigable, but that's not an issue as the games quietly clean them away once out of sight. As pob suggested in the above thread, it's easy to handwave in the the Crackdown universe in particular, just thank magical-future-tech/nanomachines/whatever.

And the solution to bringing down a stronghold from range with a rocket launcher easily killing everyone inside with little to no challenge?

So no then.

I think everyone else is misreading it, it implies to me an online campaign is a separate mode from an online competitive multiplayer. Campaign = PvE, Competitive = PvP.

Like Destiny Campaign and Crucible are separate, but neither is offline.

Everyone else is wrong by assuming there's single player like the game's two predecessors, but you've assumed there won't be because of some other games and are therefore right.

That's exactly how things work, isn't it?

I think I'm right because thegame has been about cloud tech that won't work offline since before it was announced, and the devs are being very euphemistic and avoiding the words "offline singleplayer", which they wouldn't have to be if it existed.

Everyone else thinks they're right despite the words they're using to "prove" there's offline singleplayer not meaning anything of the sort, as shown by the "some other games" that I referenced.

No one cares if there's an offline mode or not, they only care if it has a single player. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

No offline mode isn't the same as no single player, dude. There's no offline mode in Elite Dangerous but you sure as fuck can play it solo, without any other players entering your game instance.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

My literal first post on the topic that everyone is angrily responding to and quoting specifically mentions it being an online world, so why are all these people arguing with me if they agree there's no offline?