rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Keyboard Koala

Monster Hunter Generations & MHG Ultimate

New thread, to avoid mega-threads...

hrn6kcb3WwRF9WNkcOYNeZ99YkKc7aCd.jpg

image8.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&strip=al
A baffled Dinovaldo Glavenus, yesterday.

Capcom recently announced Monster Hunter X (that's "cross"), an upcoming 3DS title that uses the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate engine and has flashy moves similar to the Frontier games. Since then, they’ve shared additional information on the game. 

The plans for Monster Hunter X began sometime around the production of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Capcom wanted to bring out more of a “festive” feeling that’s not in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, so they decided to bring back villages from past titles, and add four main monsters, instead of the usual one-per-title.

Monster Hunter X is being developed with the concept of having your very own hunt that comes from the two features of “Hunting Maneuvers X Hunting Style”. Hunters will have access to new special moves and actions that look pretty flashy. Capcom say that these features will be the main attraction of Monster Hunter X.

“Hunting Maneuvers” (or Arts) are special moves that range from being able to perform a powerful attack to a monster, to providing yourself with enhancements or buffs, and healing other nearby Hunters.
“Hunting Style” is another feature that Monster Hunter X is adding to the game, that lets you turn moments of danger into stylish actions. This feature plays a big part in letting players hunt with their very own style.
Capcom have prepared numerous "Hunting Arts" for each weapon, but there are also some “basic Hunting Arts” that can be used with any weapon, and you’ll get to choose from them all.

This time around, the main village of Monster Hunter is called Verna Village. And the game will also feature various villages from past Monster Hunter titles, including Yukumo Village from Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (sweet!).

While most Monster Hunter games have one flagship monster on the covers, it looks like Monster Hunter X will have four, as the ones shown in the above image are marked as the “four major main monsters”. The four main monsters won’t simply appear over time as you advance through the game with one being stronger than the other, but they’re actually all along the same rank. They’re called the “Elite Four” among the developers. They are Gammoth ( a fanged beast), the rather cool Glavenus (a brute wyvern), Astalos (a flying wyvern), and a still unnamed leviathan-type.

Spoiler

tumblr_nrd3xykCSF1ruxn67o1_500.jpg

MHX-Gamuto_Render_001.png

MHX-Dinovaldo_Render_001.png

MHX-Unnamed_MHX_Monster_4_Render_001.png
MHX-Unnamed_MHX_Monster_6_Render_001.png

Announcement trailer:

Launch trailer:

mjTXCiL.jpg

• Upvote 5

I don't mind exclusive games, but I can't help but feel MHX is both a game that shouldn't be exclusive and is also exclusive to the wrong platform.

I could handle cross 3DS/Wii U. That'd be awesome. Vita and PS4, even better if they put the work into making the assets shine. Every platform available? Capcom do a pretty good job of porting things, generally speaking. While I liked 4U on 3DS (XL), playing Kiwami on the PS4 was a better experience for me from a less accomplished game.

Ah well. It's not really a complaint - though I guess it is, actually - but I'd love to see MH reach a much bigger audience.

• Upvote 3

Ah well. It's not really a complaint - though I guess it is, actually - but I'd love to see MH reach a much bigger audience.

It's coming to the platform with the biggest target audience, people who live in Japan, how much bigger an audience do you realistically expect them to reach with the games? Sticking it on every platform under the sun isn't going to magically make Westerners suddenly love it or it sell exponentially more in Japan either, considering the 3DS is the most owned active gaming platform in that country.

If they want to reach a wider audience, what they really need to do is retool the entire game (rather like ethnic food gets reconstituted to appeal to the locals in whatever country it gets exported to, British Indian and Chinese takeaway food is nothing like the real thing, yet is way more popular than the real thing), I can fully see why most people in the West pass on it, much like Dragon Quest. And this opinion was arrived at by playing these games. I can see the attractions but some things need work if you want to globalise their appeal.

I don't mind exclusive games, but I can't help but feel MHX is both a game that shouldn't be exclusive and is also exclusive to the wrong platform.

I could handle cross 3DS/Wii U. That'd be awesome. Vita and PS4, even better if they put the work into making the assets shine. Every platform available? Capcom do a pretty good job of porting things, generally speaking. While I liked 4U on 3DS (XL), playing Kiwami on the PS4 was a better experience for me from a less accomplished game.

Let's face it, there's no point developing for Wii U. Nor Vita.

PS4? That would be ideal, just perfect IMO for a home console Monster Hunter.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure I could play Monster Hunter without a touch screen after 3U.

Ever wanted to know what life as a felyne is like? Well, thanks to MH X' "Nyanter mode" you can now find out:

– Nyanters specialize in movement and various forms of support
– Players can switch into a Nyanter mode by selecting one of your palico felynes at anytime before accepting a quest
– Go as a Nyanter and have your two palicoes tag alone in single-player
– Nyanters have their own exclusive quests; they can also play any quest a regular hunter can
– You can tag up to make a party of four Nyanters with your friends
– There's no stamina gauge for Nyanters
– Controls are the same as hunters, and they can also run around with their weapons unsheathed
– You can dig underground to avoid attacks when things get too dangerous
– They can do other similar actions as the hunters, such as gathering, but they are faster at it and don’t need to carry around pickaxes or bug nets since they have their own that last forever
– There are two acorns on the top-left part of the screen that counts as a couple of extra lives for the Nyanter; they get KO’d once all acorns are lost
– Place traps, use flutes, and the all-new trampoline!

Monster Hunter needs to be portable... it's just the perfect commuting or lunch time game. But I'd love the ability to just shove it on a big screen if I really want to. Some of the big monsters could really be doing with big telly and sound to do them justice. I loved MH3 3DS/WiiU hook up - but the implementation was clunky which ultimately led to me losing my save. Cloud saves would be a much better idea.

Given the rumours of the NX, I wonder if this will be mobile and big telly?

I don't want this game to come out in the west until at least 2017... as I should be finished with 4U by then. :)

• Upvote 2

So I tried to be smart... going into Caravan 8 Khezu hunt using my Rathalos armour and a sword that did fire damage - reckoned that would give me a one up on it due to its weakness to fire.

40 minutes later, 2 faints down and no more potions I finally beat him... a total war of attrition.

On the the flip side, I can now batter the lower rang caravan Zinogre all over the map at will, so getting the drops to make some Zinogre armour is really easy now.

I know I'm going on a bit - but this game is just brilliant. It's all that's been on in my 3DS since I finished Xenoblade.

New trailer:

Opening cinematic:

Now obligatory colaborations with The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker and Macross Delta:

Out in Japan later this month. Still no word on a European release though.

• Upvote 1

A demo has snuck onto the Japanese eShop. I haven't played in months and haven't followed X at all so I'm not really sure what's different about this other than the sick special moves I was doing by pressing the touch screen but otherwise it definitely seems like more Monster Hunter. It's very pretty.

So as a massive fan of both MH3U and MH4U, should I be thinking of this as the next great game in the series (and getting very excited) or is it more of a spin-off?  Has it got as much content as the other games?

Generations is a crossover game of sorts, with content from all over the Monster Hunter series thrown into one game. It has about the same content MH wise, but it is a Remix of sorts.

Lots of info from an interview on German game site Ntower:

1. The development for Monster Hunter Generations started at the same time as the development for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. It is sort of a festival title for the 10th anniversary of the series.

2. It was intentional not to introduce new weapons to Monster Hunter Generations in order to focus on the existing weapons and develop their systems even more. Therefore the four hunter styles have been created. Those styles cover a wide variety of playstyles for the player to discover.

Those styles also alter the gameplay approach of the game. While you were stuck at a quest in a former title you might have changed your weapon or armor and tried again. This time you can try out the new styles and stick to your weapon and armor at first.

3. Tsujimoto likes the combination of hammer and arial-stlye the most. Kojima likes the striker-style.

4. The prowler-mode is appealing to beginners to the series as well as veterans. The prowlers have a simplified gameplay system, as they do not have a stamina gauge and can run around as long as they want. They even don’t need items to gather resources. In order to balance that out they don’t do as much damage as the hunters and can not use hunter items. Though they have got a certain amount of support skills which heal yourself or your party for instance.

5. The new Monster Hunter title will feature four new main monsters, Glavenus, Astalos, Mizutsune and Gammoth. This is because the developers wanted to go bigger this time in order to celebrate the “festival-title”.

6. The Glavenus is on the 3DS packshot because he is the main of the four main monsters. There were other packshots with the other main monsters too, those are now used as artwork.

7. There is a new item for sword and shield players. You can put it on the tip of your sword in order to aquire different effects.

8. Unfortunately there will be no amiibo function because of limited time.

9. In order to right problems it will be not possible to deliver some DLC costumes to the west. In order to compensate that, there will be costumes that are exclusive to the west. The announced Fire Emblem and Ōkami costumes are actually exclusive to the west.

10. There are currently no plans in bringing the series back to a Nintendo home console.

11. There has definitely been an uprise of popularity for the Monster Hunter series in the west due to wireless multiplayer and the passionate fanbase.

12. There is information about the coming DLCs that Tsujimoto wants to talk about but is not able at the moment. Kojima assures the gamers once again, that Monster Hunter Generations is a full featured title that will please beginners as well as veterans to the series.

• Upvote 4

The demo is available on the Nintendo website, assuming you have an account registered. Purchase there for free and download on your 3DS.  

Link  :D

• Upvote 2

Just tried the demo and besides playing great I wasnt sure how to or if you can get the touchscreen C stick to show. Also seems to be a big hang over of flat terrain from what I assume are old environments.  Also the demo seems to be awful for new starters again. Its so easy as to appear like the game doesnt really require you to dodge or use traps - any thing besides hack and heal . I will have more of an explore later and look for some positives :)

Oh yeah it's a terrible demo for new players, was bad before but now you have 4 different styles for each weapon which add and remove moves.

I think Nargacuga is the most straight forward fight even tho he's supposed to be the expert choice in the demo, that Owl is just annoying with his status spam.

Longsword seems good now, Aerial Switch axe was fun as well.