Jackbox Party Pack

6 hours ago, klargon said:

What platform you got it on?

I have them all on PC - but I have Pack 6 on PS4 if that makes life easier.  I think to be honest it will be easier to use Zoom anyway as a few dont want to use Houseparty (i know) 

32 minutes ago, schmojo said:

People are going to want the Jackbox screen on a laptop or tablet, so they can answer on their phones while they video chat.

I'd recommend Zoom instead, it's a little more flexible than Houseparty, and just screenshare from your pc/mac. Though that'll keep you out of the video chat unless you've got a second machine.

Which I do - so will everyone be able to hear the sound and talk?

Yup. Should be fine, the two machine setup is what I use.

I've also realised that my convoluted fake webcam method from the last page is utterly redundant, and Zoom screen sharing seems to work fine :facepalm:

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Yup. Should be fine, the two machine setup is what I use.

I've also realised that my convoluted fake webcam method from the last page is utterly redundant, and Zoom screen sharing seems to work fine :facepalm:

Magic - thanks mate, going to give this a go tomorrow night. 

I have tried this via Zoom screen sharing the PC version on my desktop and it streams OK but no one can hear any sound from the game in the meeting despite having selected Computer Audio from options.  Any ideas if I am missing something?

My experience has been that, regardless of choosing 'share computer audio', and making sure all the relevant checkboxes are ticked, the desktop sound just doesn't seem to share half the time.

Can usually be fixed by reinitiating the screenshare - as long as your settings are right.

• Upvote 2

OK thanks for the above @schmojo all working now it seems.  I was worried about the 40 min limit so my mate had added me to his works licence so hopefully that gets me around that.  I assume I then sign in again to create a meeting for the comms? - can you logon twice?

I have two Zoom accounts - I use one on my laptop for video chat, and one for sharing my big screen.

Not sure if it's necessary, but my main PC runs my living room TV anyway, so it's easy.

• 2 weeks later...

@schmojo thanks for your help with this.  My 40th tomorrow is now on hold so going to get a few of us together to have a spin on this.  I have also managed to upgrade my Zoom account to a licensed version so that should get round the 40 min restriction.

Quick question if you dont mind - this is my setup -

-  PC upstairs running Jackbox - streaming the screen via zoom. (our 'view' screen I assume)

-  Everyone else connects to this meeting to view the screen on there laptops etc.  If so how does vid comms then work with us all? - I assume they can only join one meeting?

Sorry if I am been stupid ( I am) but thanks for your help.

When we did it we used multiple Zoom meetings on multiple devices with multiple accounts.

Tip: if you use Gmail you can attach lots of free Zoom accounts to the same Gmail address by appending +suffix on to the email address. So for example I have accounts called myname+Laptop@gmail, myname+Ipad@gmail, myname+iPhone@gmail and so on.

I was the 'host' so I made a Zoom meeting on my gaming PC, shared the screen into it with Desktop Audio ticked, and tested the stream by joining the meeting on my iPad signed in on a different Zoom account. Audio seems to be hit and miss so be prepared to kill the room and restart it a few times until you're sure the audio is sending. 

You should then set up a different device for the video call that everyone will join to talk. I used my iPad for this, running its own meeting, separate from the game. 

Your offsite players can then use one device (eg a laptop) to watch the game stream fullscreen, and another device (eg an iPad) to join the separate chat meeting. 

And of course lastly everyone will then need to use their phone as an answering device (and you'll need some way to control the PC if it's upstairs - a wireless Xbox controller maybe, if the signal will reach?)

I'm sure you could do it by sharing the game into the same meeting that everyone is chatting in, but the problem is audio. Unless anyone can show me a setting I've missed, Zoom only allows one audio source at a time, and cuts the feed from everyone else. This means if anyone talks, it will cut the question audio. Maybe you can live with that, but I reckon it would get old very quickly if the gameplay area is a 1/4 pane on the screen *and* you can't hear it. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

When we did it we used multiple Zoom meetings on multiple devices with multiple accounts.

Tip: if you use Gmail you can attach lots of free Zoom accounts to the same Gmail address by appending +suffix on to the email address. So for example I have accounts called myname+Laptop@gmail, myname+Ipad@gmail, myname+iPhone@gmail and so on.

I was the 'host' so I made a Zoom meeting on my gaming PC, shared the screen into it with Desktop Audio ticked, and tested the stream by joining the meeting on my iPad signed in on a different Zoom account. Audio seems to be hit and miss so be prepared to kill the room and restart it a few times until you're sure the audio is sending. 

You should then set up a different device for the video call that everyone will join to talk. I used my iPad for this, running its own meeting, separate from the game. 

Your offsite players can then use one device (eg a laptop) to watch the game stream fullscreen, and another device (eg an iPad) to join the separate chat meeting. 

And of course lastly everyone will then need to use their phone as an answering device (and you'll need some way to control the PC if it's upstairs - a wireless Xbox controller maybe, if the signal will reach?)

I'm sure you could do it by sharing the game into the same meeting that everyone is chatting in, but the problem is audio. Unless anyone can show me a setting I've missed, Zoom only allows one audio source at a time, and cuts the feed from everyone else. This means if anyone talks, it will cut the question audio. Maybe you can live with that, but I reckon it would get old very quickly if the gameplay area is a 1/4 pane on the screen *and* you can't hear it. 

Thanks for this mate - so essentially we are saying those playing in other locations would need 3 devices? 1 to join the meeting showing the game - another to join video chat and another to actually answer the questions?!

I think I can get away with 2 but 3 might be a stretch :lol:

Hmm what if we use Houseparty for the video comms - then drop out of that to answer the questions and back in?

4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

You can pin the game screen so that it's much larger than the other video chat panels, more or less full screen, and has smaller video chat windows floating on the right.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Thanks for this mate - so essentially we are saying those playing in other locations would need 3 devices? 1 to join the meeting showing the game - another to join video chat and another to actually answer the questions?!

I think I can get away with 2 but 3 might be a stretch :lol:

Hmm what if we use Houseparty for the video comms - then drop out of that to answer the questions and back in?

Yeah doing it my way might be a big ask.

I mean you don't need a separate camera trained on every single player, you can get away with a wide shot covering the whole sofa, for example. 

I think the problem with coming out of chat to answer the questions is that the questions aren't really the fun part of the game. It's all about reacting to one another. Laughing together, congratulating your friends when they give a very funny answer in Quiplash, calling someone a dick because they faked you out with a convincing lie in Fibbage. 

You could drop in and out of chat between rounds, but a lot of the charm would be gone. 

I've just seen @schmojo's post and that's probably a good shout. Means you just need someone at each location to own a laptop or iPad as well as their phone, I guess. I still think chatting over the game audio might be problematic, but I guess you could live with it. The players would learn not to speak when important things are happening.

Yeah, that's basically how we work it. 

We also play a lot of games that aren't hugely reliant on the audio. Obviously something like Trivia Murder Party 1/2 suffers without it. But Quiplash, Drawful, the new one about jokes, Fibbage, you can happily chat over those.

5 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Yeah, that's basically how we work it. 

We also play a lot of games that aren't hugely reliant on the audio. Obviously something like Trivia Murder Party 1/2 suffers without it. But Quiplash, Drawful, the new one about jokes, Fibbage, you can happily chat over those.

Thanks both - I suspect these games mentioned here are the best bets then! 

It's weird, when I zoom screenshare jackbox my audio goes through to everyone else.  But doesn't work the same when someone else screenshares.  Not sure what I've done to enable that. 

Edit - And wtf is all this talk of multiple screens? You can do everything on a single screen easily?

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Edit - And wtf is all this talk of multiple screens? You can do everything on a single screen easily?

Oh yeah you can but we found that when we had 6 video feeds coming onto one screen it was obscuring some of the game screen. 

I used my desktop PC as a 'host' to just share the Zoom meeting with the game screen and audio and everyone joined that.  Had to drop the volume a little on the host machine so you could hear everyone talk and I enabled subtitles on the games that supported it.

Just now, Parappa said:

Oh yeah you can but we found that when we had 6 video feeds coming onto one screen it was obscuring some of the game screen. 

Just run the game in non-fullscreen mode?

But yeah appreciate it can get a bit cramped - we just put the laptop on the big telly in living room.  

I did a bit of testing last weekend with the PS4 broadcasting via Twitch and then broadcasting on Zoom. It seemed there was around 5 seconds latency, but I didn't test it with others, just on several of my devices. Anyone know if your not screen-sharing a PC version that it is still playable at all?

• 3 weeks later...

I did this at the weekend via Zoom, whilst it worked out well I found the screen share was lagging but no problems with the audio. I had my PC as the host and we connected our Fire Tablet to join the host in order to appear on camera, this was where I noticed this was lagging (and a good way to test). Our friends also confirmed there was a bit of lag but it seemed tolerable for them. I can't find any options in zoom to adjust the screen share settings such as frame rate etc.  Has anyone found it better via the virtual webcam method? I don't want to make it feel like an unfair advantage with our guests when we have the PC in front of us.

If you stream with mixer there you can get a sub 1 second delay. You have to view in browser though (not via the apps) click the little cog icon on the bottom right and turn on low latency. Some browsers especially safari on iPhone, iPad and Mac don’t support this so it can be a bit of a faff.

4 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

I did this at the weekend via Zoom, whilst it worked out well I found the screen share was lagging but no problems with the audio. I had my PC as the host and we connected our Fire Tablet to join the host in order to appear on camera, this was where I noticed this was lagging (and a good way to test). Our friends also confirmed there was a bit of lag but it seemed tolerable for them. I can't find any options in zoom to adjust the screen share settings such as frame rate etc.  Has anyone found it better via the virtual webcam method? I don't want to make it feel like an unfair advantage with our guests when we have the PC in front of us.

With the games we play it doesn't make a difference who answers first (unlike some of the games) so maybe you need to think about that as you are always going to get a bit of lag.  Also extend the timers on the in game options.

5 minutes ago, Spiceymike said:

Mixer looks a lot like Twitch or is it something that works alongside these services?

Same sort of thing. Just Microsoft’s version. I found on the Xbox with mixer I was getting sub one second lag where twitch was giving me about 5.

9 minutes ago, Parappa said:

With the games we play it doesn't make a difference who answers first (unlike some of the games) so maybe you need to think about that as you are always going to get a bit of lag.  Also extend the timers on the in game options.

Yeah luckily it wasn't too much of an issue, I think it was mainly when we were playing Lie Swatter it came across at how quick I was to respond to the answers and the same for that last round on YDKJ.

One thing I forgot to mention is I noticed someone made a conversion of the UK version of YDKJ into a Javascript page as well as some of the other language versions which came out in 1995, they also seem to support multiplayer:

https://www.ydkjs.eu/

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Spiceymike said:

Yeah luckily it wasn't too much of an issue, I think it was mainly when we were playing Lie Swatter it came across at how quick I was to respond to the answers and the same for that last round on YDKJ.

One thing I forgot to mention is I noticed someone made a conversion of the UK version of YDKJ into a Javascript page as well as some of the other language versions which came out in 1995, they also seem to support multiplayer:

https://www.ydkjs.eu/

Fantastic! - shame the games are not online.  I was never really bothered as its great fun as couch games but if they could get them online they would have sold a fortune over this time.

5 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

Virtual webcam method is infinitely blurrier than screen share. Despite my efforts in exploring it, I've found it not really fit for purpose.

My recommendation is just to avoid reaction-based games, although Mixer sounds intriguing  if it's only 1sec latency.

You can get hold of party packs 5 and 6 for around a fiver each on the epic games store at the moment by using the £10 voucher (you can get the first voucher by claiming GTA V, then you’ll get another with each purchase/use)

• Upvote 2