rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

Thanks for the responses everyone. :)

I got my son his game from shopto in the end, and it all went okay. He had birthday money and wanted Luigi's Mansion 3. So far he loves it. 

I will pos you all when my supply replenishes. 

I’m looking at selling my Switch. Am I right in thinking that if my Nintendo online expires my saves will still be safe and when I buy a newer model down the line and sub again they’ll still be there?

Or is there a way to back up to the microUSB?

24 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m looking at selling my Switch. Am I right in thinking that if my Nintendo online expires my saves will still be safe and when I buy a newer model down the line and sub again they’ll still be there?

Or is there a way to back up to the microUSB?

Only safe for 180 days according to this. 

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-Online/FAQ-1374625.html

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Thanks very much. I'm trying to decide whether being forced to start BOTW and Odyssey all over again is a bad thing or not.

And hopefully 180 days + however long I've got long is left on my sub will be enough for me to get a biggo battery Switch.

On 29/04/2020 at 11:51, rgraves said:

I'd love to be inside EA. Stadia is now going to get more EA support than Switch - including Star Wars and Madden. Those are both titles I think most folks would expect to play well to the Switch audience (even a legacy release of something like Madden you'd have to expect to sell relatively well). Somebody, someday, better write a damn good book that explains quite why the cut runs soooo deep between those two.

I’ve always assumed it’s just a power and money thing. EA make one FIFA and one Madden game and stick it on PS, XB and PC. It’s the same game on all. Nintendo tend to get one iteration early on when they’re still making games for previous gen but then that’s it. They can’t port the same game over due to a lack of power and don’ t see the point in making one specially as the Nintendo crowd are still seen as kids or less sporty for whatever reason. It’s hard to argue with that perception really. 

Given what else has come out in Switch, EA could probably build their current engine to scale to Switch (and a bunch of lower spec PCs) if they wanted. They just don't want to. 

Surprised Konami aren't filling the gap though. The Switch has a lot more varied software than previous Nintendo hardware. 

6 hours ago, Pockets said:

I’ve always assumed it’s just a power and money thing. EA make one FIFA and one Madden game and stick it on PS, XB and PC. It’s the same game on all. Nintendo tend to get one iteration early on when they’re still making games for previous gen but then that’s it. They can’t port the same game over due to a lack of power and don’ t see the point in making one specially as the Nintendo crowd are still seen as kids or less sporty for whatever reason. It’s hard to argue with that perception really. 

Hasn’t FIFA on Switch been completely bespoke versions using a different engine to the PlayStation/Xbox versions though?

38 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Hasn’t FIFA on Switch been completely bespoke versions using a different engine to the PlayStation/Xbox versions though?

It’s the previous gen version with updated teams.

On 11/01/2020 at 11:32, joffocakes said:

Yeah; cant speak for the retro-bit one (I remember they were making a Saturn pad with two analogue sticks too?) but 8bitdo makes a one called the M30 which has a terrific dpad for fighters.

Theres a couple of versions but this is the one which works on Switch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8BitDo-Bluetooth-Wireless-Gamepad-Nintendo/dp/B07MSN1NPC

Took four months but I finally got round to picking this up - holy shit! It's amazing. I never really used any pad for fighters before so it'll take some learning regardless but I instantly get why people like the D-pad on it for them. Woo!

I'm going to buy Waku Waku 7 to celebrate while I wait for the SF Collection to be cheap again. It's not this week so pretty much a certainty for Thursday's update.

• Upvote 1

On 03/05/2020 at 11:28, Pockets said:

the Nintendo crowd are still seen as kids or less sporty for whatever reason. It’s hard to argue with that perception really. 

Is it? I mean I think you could very easily argue against that perception to be honest. It feels lazy and totally out-of-date. Plenty of more 'mature' (and I do very deliberately use quotes there) titles have found a substantial audience on Switch. Stuff like Doom, The Witcher, Skyrim have all seen good sales. It's totally false to say the audience is not there. And the version of FIFA they did put out (the first one at least) actually did pretty well. It certainly sold enough to make it viable - not the top seller, but not so low you'd in any way think cutting it off at the knees was the next most sensible business step. And Star Wars? I mean surely that's about as perfect a marriage as you can get - the Lego star wars titles sell so well, it's nuts to think that audience is not there.

I also don't get the 'but it's a power' argument either - as stuff like Plants vs Zombies was already released on lower-spec machines, power is not holding them back from release - it's an argument that falls over very quickly when you see what folks like Virtuoso and Panic Button can do as well.

From a purely commercial pov, the stance EA are taking make no sense at all - they are ignoring the platform that is hot, and is selling software at significant volumes. They are ignoring a platform that is looking at possibly a 150m lifetime install base. They have a back-catalogue they could easily mine for some easy cash. And the weird titles they do decide to put out, they kill stone dead with dumbfoundingly bad pricing decisions.

• Upvote 3

Yeah I’d love that Star Wars game on Switch I think it would sell very well too - it’s Star Wars for one and there aren’t many, if any, games really like that for the system. 

37 minutes ago, rgraves said:

From a purely commercial pov, the stance EA are taking make no sense at all - they are ignoring the platform that is hot, and is selling software at significant volumes. They are ignoring a platform that is looking at possibly a 150m lifetime install base. They have a back-catalogue they could easily mine for some easy cash. And the weird titles they do decide to put out, they kill stone dead with dumbfoundingly bad pricing decisions.

The boss of EA's mum obviously bought them a Megadrive (or maybe even a Master System) for Christmas that year when all their friends got SNESes, so as a coping mechanism they convinced themselves that Nintendo was inherently rubbish, and have dedicated their life and career to proving themselves right.

• Upvote 6

I got myself an arcade stick yesterday. Mainly for the PC but very happy that it works on my Switch just plugged into the dock.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darren said:

The boss of EA's mum obviously bought them a Megadrive (or maybe even a Master System) for Christmas that year when all their friends got SNESes, so as a coping mechanism they convinced themselves that Nintendo was inherently rubbish, and have dedicated their life and career to proving themselves right.

I think that is as arguable a position as "they don't think the audience or the sales are there" to be honest (both of them being mental). Which is why it's sooo crazy :lol:

• Upvote 2

I wonder if not really being on Nintendo is some weird marketing decision to make them seem more grown-up, cool, and respectable.

On 30/04/2020 at 09:26, grindmouse said:

My left joy-con is completely fucked again. Compressed air fixed it for a couple of days.

How's your Joy Con been?

I'm considering picking up a Switch but can't decide between the Lite or full fat console. The reports of sticking analog sticks makes me want to go for thebbig console so I can pick up replacments as needed, but I've seen no such issues with the Lite.

18 minutes ago, Wools said:

How's your Joy Con been?

I'm considering picking up a Switch but can't decide between the Lite or full fat console. The reports of sticking analog sticks makes me want to go for thebbig console so I can pick up replacments as needed, but I've seen no such issues with the Lite.

It’s a launch Switch, so the joy-con lasted 3 years. It is holding up ok but if the same problems arise (sticking/drifting) I’m going to need to replace them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rgraves said:

Is it? I mean I think you could very easily argue against that perception to be honest. It feels lazy and totally out-of-date. Plenty of more 'mature' (and I do very deliberately use quotes there) titles have found a substantial audience on Switch. Stuff like Doom, The Witcher, Skyrim have all seen good sales. It's totally false to say the audience is not there. And the version of FIFA they did put out (the first one at least) actually did pretty well. It certainly sold enough to make it viable - not the top seller, but not so low you'd in any way think cutting it off at the knees was the next most sensible business step. And Star Wars? I mean surely that's about as perfect a marriage as you can get - the Lego star wars titles sell so well, it's nuts to think that audience is not there.

I also don't get the 'but it's a power' argument either - as stuff like Plants vs Zombies was already released on lower-spec machines, power is not holding them back from release - it's an argument that falls over very quickly when you see what folks like Virtuoso and Panic Button can do as well.

Do you like sports games like FIFA and Madden? I dunno, I’d guess most in here don’t. Aside from the sub forums, this isn’t a very sporty forum for games. 

Yes, a lot of Switch owners are older but tend to be the ‘geekier’ sorts of gamers if they’re not kids. I dunno what the term should be but I own a Switch and am 40 so whatever, I am one. 

I love sports games but have other machines for them. I wouldn’t expect, or really want, my Nintendo to do them as they’d be compromised without the power. 

What the people really want on Nintendo is some arcadey type sports game. EA don’t do that anymore unless you count Volta bullshit which is exactly what I could see them releasing if they did anything. 

Sports games are very graphics and physics based - Nintendo don’t make the best consoles for that and they don’t make the consoles that sports-loving ‘jocks’ buy so the market isn’t there - as much as other consoles. 

59 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

It’s a launch Switch, so the joy-con lasted 3 years. It is holding up ok but if the same problems arise (sticking/drifting) I’m going to need to replace them.

Ahh, that's not too bad going then! I've read reports that some users have never had the issue but others report that it's really prominent.

Is Wolfenstein Youngblood any good? CDKeys have it for £13 and I am very tempted. 

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Is Wolfenstein Youngblood any good? CDKeys have it for £13 and I am very tempted. 

It's not great - it's definitely the worst Wolfenstein title. It's on Gamepass if you have that and want to try it out. 

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

Sports games are very graphics and physics based - Nintendo don’t make the best consoles for that and they don’t make the consoles that sports-loving ‘jocks’ buy so the market isn’t there - as much as other consoles. 

But that 'jock' market is there on Stadia?...

I fundamentally don't agree on a lot of that (power was fine for FIFA/Madden et al last gen, so it's perfectly possible to release versions of those games at that power level when you only have to put it out at 1080p), and I genuinely think people want variety on Switch - including EA content. What they are releasing is an almost laser-focused 'cock-up' so surgically precise with it's selection and pricing, that I just can't believe it's not a deliberate move. Either that, or somebody inside EA honestly, and with a straight face, managed to look at that collection of  potential titles and pick Burnout Paradise at £50 as the smart business move....

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's not great - it's definitely the worst Wolfenstein title. It's on Gamepass if you have that and want to try it out. 

Fair enough, will skip it. Was intrigued, but plenty to play. 

13 hours ago, Wools said:

How's your Joy Con been?

We’ve got one of each. It really depends how you will use it. I love the lite as it’s much more comfortable for long sessions. But as soon as I pick up the full switch I realise how good the extra screen size is (useful if you’re old with bad eyesight like me!).

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Flub said:

I got myself an arcade stick yesterday. Mainly for the PC but very happy that it works on my Switch just plugged into the dock.

Which stick was it? 

13 hours ago, grindmouse said:

My left joy-con has gone again.

But it seems you can send them here for free repair? https://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/

Got my left fixed by nintendo . Only took a month there and back. Anyone's guess at the moment.  Then the same  left one went sticky and weird, couldnt push al the way to the right ( fixed by WD40 contact spray. Now the right one has drift. Fixed by contact spray for 3 days. Will give it another blast.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

22 minutes ago, mrpranny said:

Got my left fixed by nintendo . Only took a month there and back. Anyone's guess at the moment.  Then the same  left one went sticky and weird, couldnt push al the way to the right ( fixed by WD40 contact spray. Now the right one has drift. Fixed by contact spray for 3 days. Will give it another blast.

Do they do them free? If not how much is the repair?

1 minute ago, timdp said:

Do they do them free? If not how much is the repair?

Mine was free yep you can print out the free postage thing on the nintendo site all the instructions are there. Its fairly painless