Nintendo Switch

On 23/04/2020 at 13:55, probotector said:

That is pure profit for Nintendo. They get pretty much the whole £50 bar bandwidth and server costs.

Have they stopped paying tax now?

• Upvote 2

My Genki Covert Dock finally arrived the other day. I've used it once so far but very impressed with it whilst playing Cuphead on the TV. Also just tested it on a couple of laptops and they dual screen without a hitch (one was a GPD Pocket 2 which also charged and my Dell work laptop which just did the dual screen).

I've found the travel adapters really hard to remove though. Took me ages to remove them as I was worried I'd break it if I tried forcing them off.

20200425_101210.jpg

20200425_101226.jpg

20200425_101319.jpg

• Upvote 2

I can't my head around this. 

All the advice points to using an official power lead with any third party docks. 

What makes this so different? It's not as if it's an official 1st party accessory. 

16 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

I can't my head around this. 

All the advice points to using an official power lead with any third party docks. 

What makes this so different? It's not as if it's an official 1st party accessory. 

Presumably it provides the correct amount of power which most third party power supplies don't.

• Upvote 1

I think that was eventually debunked - although the power regulator in the Switch was what was usually broke, implying a power issue, there’s no reason why any of the PSUs used should have caused a problem. Nobody has had any problem with those PSUs when they are connected directly to a Switch without a dock.

Conversely, third party docks of the drop-in type were always involved. It is known that the Switch dock uses a non-standard, loose USB-C plug that allows you to insert and remove the console easily, and third parties don’t have a specification for that. It is very likely that third parties’ own version of that loose plug was shorting pins that shouldn’t be shorted and sending big volts on pins that shouldn’t carry them.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I tracked down what I was thinking of.  

There is one area in which the rumors of Switches getting bricked due to proprietary, non-standard Nintendo design is correct, however. Nintendo wanted the Switch to slide very smoothly in and out of its dock—but the USB-C mechanical design spec doesn't allow for that. So Nintendo's own dock for the Switch is very slightly narrower than the USB-C standard in order to provide the desired smooth slide instead of the usual snug click.

Third parties want to emulate that mechanical feel as closely as possible, but there's no published standard—they basically just take a stab at it and hope for the best. Given that the standard already has pins spaced only 0.5mm apart, even a slight design or manufacturing defect is likely to cause a port to fail.

The main point of the story, which I'd forgotten, was that there was a specific Switch dock (and presumably some off-brand derivatives of it) that was sending 9V down a pin that was meant to take 6V.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/heres-why-nintendo-switch-consoles-keep-frying/

There's no reason not to use any competently-put-together USB-C charger with the Switch, and there's no reason for the Switch to be more vulnerable to bad USB-C chargers than your phone would be. But I'd be really wary of anything third-party that was an actual "dock", which the Switch dropped in to directly instead of through a cable.

• Upvote 3
20 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

My Genki Covert Dock finally arrived the other day. I've used it once so far but very impressed with it whilst playing Cuphead on the TV. Also just tested it on a couple of laptops and they dual screen without a hitch (one was a GPD Pocket 2 which also charged and my Dell work laptop which just did the dual screen).

I've found the travel adapters really hard to remove though. Took me ages to remove them as I was worried I'd break it if I tried forcing them off.

20200425_101210.jpg

20200425_101226.jpg

20200425_101319.jpg

There's no sign of mine being despatched, though I did back it towards the end of the campaign. Did you get any sort of email confirmation they'd sent it ahead of its arrival?

1 hour ago, bm said:

There's no sign of mine being despatched, though I did back it towards the end of the campaign. Did you get any sort of email confirmation they'd sent it ahead of its arrival?

I had a Kickstarter email saying it had been dispatched and had a Royal Mail tracking number. For some reason though the tracking number never seemed to work and then lo and behold it arrived late last week. Once I checked the tracking number again on Royal Mail's site all the info was there, so I'm not sure why it didn't give me the progress prior.

1 hour ago, bm said:

Their website is talking about May. 

3 hours ago, rgraves said:

There's a load of detail on the subject (from the lead engineer of that Genki dock in fact) right here:

[reddit stuff]

USB-A to USB-C Cables: Many Switch users, Nathan K, and even Nintendo official has warned against the use of the cable without 56k ohm resistor. The 10K variant of the cable is said to be dangerous, to which I agree to the extent that the 56K ohm prevent overloading of non 3A capable AC adapters. The 10K ohm resistor only applies to legacy cables (A to C), which does not even negotiate PD with the Switch. The resistor only serves to tell the AC adapter how much current to provide to the Switch.

This has me mildly  worried now. In my house we often play on the sofa with the Switch connected to a 2.1A iPad charger via a Juice brand cable (probably this one):

https://www.juice.co.uk/product/juice-usb-type-c-charge-and-sync-cable-1m/

I can't see anything on the specs page about what resistor the cable might have. Anyone happen to know if it's likely to be OK? Is there a way I could find out?

PSA - Ring Fit Adventure is in stock at Argos for click and collect - just ordered one.

As a side note anyone with a modern macbook with USB C who's bought a USB C to HDM , USB etc may be able to use it on the switch works with mine!

Hardly touched the switch since lockdown, haven't felt the urge to play/continue Zelda. I still have a few games on the system, should get into it again really. 

Want some motivation! ha

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

This looks to take quite a bit of inspiration from Breath of The Wild and visually, Rime. Looks promising. 

I'm all for wearing one's influences on one's sleeve, but that takes the piss a bit. 

18 minutes ago, rgraves said:

If they get anywhere even near the quality of BotW, is that a bad thing?

Yeah I’m all for it, there are worse games to seek inspiration from! 

• Upvote 1

I'm all for games being influenced by other games, but so much of that - the combat, the art design, the sailing, the hang glider, the slow-mo arrow hits, the twirly cel-shaded explosions, the way the character says 'Hut!' when she jabs her weapon - just seems to have been straight lifted from BotW and Wind Waker without much attempt at all to make it original. It just leaves a bit of a sour taste. The only thing in that trailer that looked half-way original was the bit where she's sailing the raft through the storm, and consequently that bit looked the most interesting to me.

Even the main character basically looks like BOTW Link. 

The combat looks pretty hurky jerky and not very smooth but it’ll be interesting to see how it turns out. 

Also coming to Xbox/PS4 and PC. 

13 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Less of a piss take than oceanhorn at least

Oceanhorn was a cracking game though. I could play a Zelda-like on my Vita!

4 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Oceanhorn was a cracking game though. I could play a Zelda-like on my Vita!

Know this is off track for this thread, but have you tried Reverie on the Vita, its like a love child of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Earthbound.