rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Switch

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Not really comparable are they? None of them are even in production, and good luck playing BoTW, Odyssey, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pokemon etc. Switch Lite will be the only dedicated handheld on the market now that support for 3DS has pretty much died.

Only choice for handheld gaming doesn't mean it's a good size to carry around outside. Games mean nothing in that equation. The two main factors for me have always been pocketability and being discreet enough to not get stolen from my hands. Switch Lite achieves neither.

Roll on the Switch Micro.

3 minutes ago, NEG said:

The two main factors have always been pocketability and being discreet enough to not get stolen from your hands

What about 2ds? That monstrosity was 12 * 14 cm

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Baffles me too. I get they are saving money not including the dock, but surely not offering one separately is a way of turning down money. There has to be a technical reason why Switch Lite can't do docked mode. I mean it will use usb c to charge right?

Either they don’t want to make the full fat Switch less appealing or it’s to do with when the switch is docked the games play at a higher resolution etc? Maybe needs less space for cooling due to being less demanding on the cpu? 

As others have said, I’d be interested if I could play all my current digital games on it with cloud saves.  

One thing that would worry me is the durability of the sticks.  I mainly use my Switch docked with the pro-controller and only really use the joy-cons for local multiplayer and they’ve developed the drift issue(which I’ve fixed with contact cleaner - twice!). It’s not a massive issue as I know I can buy new joy-cons or even replace the sticks relatively easily, but on the lite with built in sticks....

25 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

They managed to communicate the Wii and DS pretty well considering how odd they were. 

But they were completely new products. This is very different. Its the same platform, same family name but has a different set of features. And it goes against the key ethos of the original Switch, a message they hammered home at launch, that it switched between home and on the go. The name does not help them there, Switch Lite does not give an indication of its function.  I just think they need to do a good job of targeting and messaging what this is.

10 minutes ago, Hylian said:

What about 2ds? That monstrosity was 12 * 14 cm

I think that was aimed at kids, the 3DS was a little bit too fragile, but the 2DS was like an old Nokia phone! 

21 minutes ago, NEG said:

Only choice for handheld gaming doesn't mean it's a good size to carry around outside. Games mean nothing in that equation. The two main factors for me have always been pocketability and being discreet enough to not get stolen from my hands. Switch Lite achieves neither.

I don't own modern Nintendo hardware (the newest thing I have is a SNES mini) so I don't follow news that much, but I have wondered if Switch muggings were a thing. Like, @ann coulter talked about playing it on the bus... are there any fears of being followed in the evening once you get off at your stop? :P Or does everyone live in idyllic crime-free areas and I'm being paranoid?

As bad as rival handhelds are, I don't think anyone would want to pinch a Shield or Vita ;) 

I play my Switch daily on my commute. Even if it's just a 15 minute journey, even if I'm sat next to someone else. I've never had an issue. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

I play my Switch daily on my commute. Even if it's just a 15 minute journey, even if I'm sat next to someone else. I've never had an issue. 

What journey do you take? :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Baffles me too. I get they are saving money not including the dock, but surely not offering one separately is a way of turning down money. There has to be a technical reason why Switch Lite can't do docked mode. I mean it will use usb c to charge right?

The 'technical reason' will be that I bet the lite is passively cooled - so no need to have the fan in there. Saves cost. And, if the fan is not there, then it can *never* go docked as it would potentially overheat. With that decision made, they can then strip out anything else not needed internally to save cost - and ship it with a lower power supply etc

It's designed to be a handheld only and work at those lower clocks only.

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

The 'technical reason' will be that I bet the lite is passively cooled - so no need to have the fan in there. Saves cost. And, if the fan is not there, then it can *never* go docked as it would potentially overheat. With that decision made, they can then strip out anything else not need to save cost - and ship it with a lower power supply etc

It's designed to be a handheld only and work at those lower clocks only.

The Switch Lite still has fan vents at the top. Would they still be there if it was passively cooled? I have no idea, by the way - they might!

1 minute ago, ann coulter said:

The Switch Lite still has fan vents at the top. Would they still be there if it was passively cooled? I have no idea, by the way - they might!

Yeah, they still need the air to move around, and they'd be using all sorts of clever internals to help with the heat transfer etc.

I also have no idea either btw, I'm just speculating.

6 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I guess it uses a newer chipset that can run at lower clock speeds and generates less heat.

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Just preordered one and I don't know why.

Well, I know why, it's FOMO but there's no real justification for it.

Why give us all that information and yet you don't tell us what colour you ordered? Why would you do that to us Strafe? Why?

(Best be the Yellow one)

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Why give us all that information and yet you don't tell us what colour you ordered? Why would you do that to us Strafe? Why?

(Best be the Yellow one)

Obviously it was the yellow one. I didn't think the other colours were actually real, just 4chan mock ups to troll people.

• Upvote 1

If there's a technical reason that the Lite can't work with a TV then it's a self imposed one. Nintendo want to provide a cheaper model, but also have a reason to upsell you to the standard model.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

If there's a technical reason that the Lite can't work with a TV then it's a self imposed one.

Well yeah, all hardware is the result of a load of self-imposed limitations. The big one almost always being cost.

• Upvote 1

I get they the yellow is nice, and all, but why such boring colours?

The snes mock up version was nice, but why aren't we getting Mario red, Luigi green, Gamecube purple/orange.

The colours just seem a bit too 'safe' for me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, cohen205 said:

I get they the yellow is nice, and all, but why such boring colours?

The snes mock up version was nice, but why aren't we getting Mario red, Luigi green, Gamecube purple/orange.

The colours just seem a bit too 'safe' for me.

But if they release those cool special editions now, how will they sell multiple consoles to fans?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I don't own modern Nintendo hardware (the newest thing I have is a SNES mini) so I don't follow news that much, but I have wondered if Switch muggings were a thing. Like, @ann coulter talked about playing it on the bus... are there any fears of being followed in the evening once you get off at your stop? :P Or does everyone live in idyllic crime-free areas and I'm being paranoid?

As bad as rival handhelds are, I don't think anyone would want to pinch a Shield or Vita ;) 

I don't feel London is a safe enough place to just take out and play anywhere, no. It's not a case of being followed. More likely a knife at any given opportunity, judging by the current climate.

As an aside, smartphones are fine. Everyone has one. It's not going to be obvious if you have a latest model or not. Same to a degree with tablets.

• Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, NEG said:

I don't feel London is a safe enough place to just take out and play anywhere, no. It's not a case of being followed. More likely a knife at any given opportunity, judging by the current climate.

As an aside, smartphones are fine. Everyone has one. It's not going to be obvious if you have a latest model or not. Same to a degree with tablets.

Aren't phones the most stolen items in the street across the UK? An iPhone is also more expensive than a Switch.

I don't personally feel too scared to play my Switch in London. As with anywhere it's about being sensible and aware if your surroundings.

20 minutes ago, Paulando said:

But if they release those cool special editions now, how will they sell multiple consoles to fans?

They dont have release 'all' the colours at launch. Just a cheeky mario red, luigi green and peach pink.

6 months down the line, snes grey, gamecube purple,

and so on....

I just think the launch colours are a bit dull and boring. Even the yellow isnt as good as the luminous yellow joy-cons (which I own and love)

I'm sure they'll release the cheeky Mario Red, Luigi Green and Peach Pink in 6 months time, then in 12 months the SNES Grey, Gamecube Spice Orange versions :P