deKay

Nintendo Switch

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

My recollection of the few quid I was robbed of by Dragon's Lair as a kid is that it had approximately zero enjoyable gameplay. Why pay 18 quid for that? You may as well watch it on Youtube:

I was obsessed with it, just the idea that a game could look and sound like that back then. The gameplay was all about timing and memory and whether under pressure you could perform in front of a crowd, and there was always a crowd for Dragon's Lair. Obviously now it's pure nostalgia and I wouldn't want to play games like that today, but the look of it, the sounds (particularly loved that fat razz sound the joystick input made) and just how ground breaking it felt.

Brings back happy memories for me. I bought the DS version a few years back actually and was delighted to find it randomised levels and reversed them, which is to my knowledge the first time an arcade perfect port had been produced (I played the Amiga version which was heavily edited and came on about 6 discs, and those crappy DVD ones too) although I think the DS version was basically a port of the iOS one. 

Loved Space Ace also but Dragon's Lair was an incredible game IMO. Never had much experience with the sequel so I'll happily give that a try too.

The guy who made Dragon's Lair, Rick Dyer, was a bit of a crazy guy, pumping all his money into a laser disc games console which ultimately failed. There's a great documentary about it on YouTube, really recommend watching even for those who can't stand the game, it's just an interesting bit of forgotten history surrounding our hobby.

• Upvote 5

I had the misfortune to purchase and therefore play the GameBoy version of Dragon's Lair, it has nothing to do with the proper versions. Really bad platforming, it stank. 

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, outspaced said:

I had the misfortune to purchase and therefore play the GameBoy version of Dragon's Lair, it has nothing to do with the proper versions. Really bad platforming, it stank. 

I bought that too but my purchase was based on the CVG review which, afaik, gave it a 90 something score. I hated the game personally so I went back to the store and served them a lie about getting two copies for my birthday or something.

I got Dynablasters in return which still remains my favourite singleplayer Bomberman game to this day.

Does anyone remember the hologram game in the arcades based on the same ‘pay money to remember a trial and error sequence’ gameplay? I think it was something to do with cowboys...it looked amazing at the time, like something from the future.

44 minutes ago, Nequests said:

It might be happening! A bunch of SNES games names datamined in the NES online app.

Pop n twinbee would be appreciated. As well as Yoshi's Island but by far the most excitable for me would be Legend of the Mystical Ninja. 

Stunt race FX will not have aged well...

Would love Unirally though. 

That was true of most of the versions of whatever big game released on the gameboy wasn't it?

And yet, the GB version is a trillion times better than the NES version. Which *I* bought.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Nequests said:

It might be happening! A bunch of SNES games names datamined in the NES online app.

A video of a screenshot of a tweet? Is this how we Internet now? Jesus.

• Upvote 6

I was also in that group, for everyone else.

It's actually quite pretty, it should be good.

It is not.

That SNES stuff does sound very legit, so it must be happening. Same strings and filenames and emulator info as in the SNES Classic. There's nothing else that it can be. There's no reason for the update if they're not releasing it soon. Great news. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, outspaced said:

Wasn’t the Game Boy one just a rebadged conversion of an old ZX Spectrum game?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nequests said:

Hologram Time Traveler?

Edit: LGR has a vid,

Wow, I remember seeing this in the arcades in Scarborough a long time ago. It reminded me of that Star Wars chess game. I wonder what happens to these games. The cabinet was massive.

7 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Would love Unirally though. 

Wasn't unirally crushed by some licensing issue or another - I seem to remember it went out of print because of it. If that's true, I can't see it coming back on Switch - which would throw doubt on all of this.....:(

EDIT: Yeah:

Shortly after the game's release, DMA Design was sued by Pixar for allegedly copying the unicycle design and concept from their 1987 short film Red's Dream. Mike Dailly, one of the developers at DMA Design, commented, "The problem with Pixar was that they seemed to think that any computer generated unicycle was owned by them." DMA Design lost the lawsuit, and as a result, Nintendo had to terminate production of further Unirally cartridges. According to Dailly, "The deal was that Nintendo wouldn't make any more carts so Unirally only sold the 300k initial run".

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

There’s a most played of 2018 on the news feed. I like to think I did my part to ensure this entry.

DwzhZULU8AAKetT.jpg

What was number 1?

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

No I think that's great, popular games on the system is what Nintendo always needed. Same with Paladins and Warframe, really great additions. 

Definitely, lack of third party was something that help kill the Wii U. I imagine they sold a lot of consoles at Christmas to parents buying for their kids to play Fortnite. 

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah there was even a Fortnite bundle, God knows what was in it though! 

Fortnite, probably.