deKay

Nintendo Switch

On 12/08/2018 at 12:12, Strafe said:

If this actually is switch it looks rather impressive.

30fps and horrible bloom lighting. It's like the worst last gen racers all over again. It looks so average.

• Downvote 2

Dunno about you guys but I’ve had free online Nintendo gaming since the days of the DS and Wii. It has not just been free for a year, more like well over a decade. 

£20 isn’t a huge amount, and I’ll stump up so my Splatoon 2 machine isn’t a brick, but it’s basically for a service which has previously been free plus cloud backup which is also offered for free by a million online companies.  I also have no desire to replay the 5 or so NES games that are still worth playing again.

Feels a bit mean of Nintendo given we are all paying the premium switch tax whenever we buy a game on the system. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Dunno about you guys but I’ve had free online Nintendo gaming since the days of the DS and Wii. It has not just been free for a year, more like well over a decade. 

£20 isn’t a huge amount, and I’ll stump up so my Splatoon 2 machine isn’t a brick, but it’s basically for a service which has previously been free plus cloud backup which is also offered for free by a million online companies.  I also have no desire to replay the 5 or so NES games that are still worth playing again.

Feels a bit mean of Nintendo given we are all paying the premium switch tax whenever we buy a game on the system. 

So no different to when Sony and MS went from free to fee payable then, well other than cheaper - both have charged for cloud backups (don’t think ms do these days but still need live to play online) and Nintendo are just late to the party to charging!

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Its just a shame it'll be the same recycled NES games that have been knocking round for years. Price is hardly prohibitive but first impressions just seem lazy- at least open up the relatively untapped market (for Nintendo VC anyway) of GBA games or N64 rather than the same old same old. 

Seems bizarre to me that it's easier to play something like Metroid Zero Mission on my vita than Nintendo's actual hardware. 

Oh well I'll still pay it anyway and just moan

I think I’m the same. I was hoping for a curated set of multiplayer games that they’d enabled to play online from different generations, not just NES. I know they might do others in the future but for now this seems pretty tame.

I wonder if we’ll get a system update, I guess we’ll have to?  and what that will look like?

Somebody, can't remember who now sorry, was asking about the 3rd-party M002 docks and the latest firmware - I can now confirm I've used mine for a week (with an official power supply) with no problems at all. No bricked console.

Also - just spotted this - does anyone have one? Looks pretty dandy - especially with the in-built ethernet port:

http://amzn.eu/5o8pJqq

71Bv0r6nn-L._SL1500_.jpg

Looks cool, but the Amazon reviews all sound fake as fuck.

"Bought this adapter for my boyfriend.With its easy connection and smooth output, he enjoyed the game more!"

:eyebrows:

It might be a lot to drag around given the connector to the Switch is very short. Though of course if you are in docked mode, not so much an issue. I've just had my kid pull the whole dock over when trying to use wired stuff, could imagine the Switch going crash on the floor.

32 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Well you'd only use it in docked mode. Why would you use it otherwise?

So if you use it in docked mode, one of the features is all those usb connectors, presumably for headphones, controllers etc. So the switch would be lying down and sliding about everywhere as the link from the widget to the Switch itself is very short. Not an issue for Joycons, it is true. Actually, to be fair I am nitpicking here as this is an arguably even worse issue on the official dock. It just flat out falls over.

(The weird reviews also say stuff like 'Portable, you can enjoy a game anytime anywhere.' Which is why I think they are fake. EDIT: Hmm, unless they mean to use as a travel dock. Which is where I could see it being useful.)

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

I'd like a portable third party dock with built in Bluetooth. That'd make it much easier to connect headphones.

Just get that dock and plug this into one of the ports?

f.jpg.012dcd6909d785ad9125c943a0420d2e.jpg

That ship will have sailed for me come October, I’m afraid. I’ll not be playing a port of a remaster on the day Battlefield V comes out.

Delaying it to the busiest blockbuster period of the year is a tad suspicious.

38 minutes ago, deKay said:

That's taking up a valuable USB slot though.

1 minute ago, Adrock said:

You've still got one left - what else are you plugging in on your travels?

6 minutes ago, Adrock said:

How about this one?

Spoiler

moon-on-a-stick-white-on-dark-background.png.598b463a6616f39ced89c66987370e5b.png

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, deKay said:

Where does one find one of these?

30 minutes ago, deKay said:

How about this one?

Reveal hidden contents

moon-on-a-stick-white-on-dark-background.png.598b463a6616f39ced89c66987370e5b.png

Does the Switch already contain a moon on a stick which you’re not allowed to use for unspecified reasons?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Cheers! They work on Switch?

No “internet download required” on the Dark Souls packaging.

Most do, yes. Couldn’t say for all!

11 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

So no different to when Sony and MS went from free to fee payable then, well other than cheaper - both have charged for cloud backups (don’t think ms do these days but still need live to play online) and Nintendo are just late to the party to charging!

MS have always charged for Live.... Sony went from free online to charging when PS4 was released. TBH online on PS3 was a mixed experience and I don't think Sony would have had the nerve to charge for it!!! Don't think I ever played a game of Motostorm online back in the day without a network problem...and voice. Hmph. 

Hopefully Nintendo will use the subs to add extra features to the online system. Do have native voice yet or do you still have to use the app thing? £20 isn't bad TBH....

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

MS have always charged for Live....

Live was free on the Xbox, wasn't it?

On 13/08/2018 at 10:02, Strafe said:

Putting cloud saves behind a paywall when there is no option to back up on an external device is kind of a dick move but I think most of us will sleep better at night knowing a 200 hour zelda save is safe.

For as long as your subscription and the service both last.

Being able to back your saves up locally should be essential. I'm still annoyed that I'm carrying the only copy of my Zelda save around with me all the time.