IGNORED

Top Gear - Series 24

Smoothy

9 hours ago, wev said:

Harris cheated from the start, he didn't even have a caravan, he had a trailer tent

I think the description of "bed on wheels" for Flintoff's choice was pretty apt. I'd be hesitant to call it a caravan, although it just about meets the definition on the Collin's Dictionary website of

A caravan is a vehicle without an engine that can be pulled by a car or van. It contains beds and cooking equipment so that people can live or spend their holidays in it.

I'm not sure that you could "live" in it - the kitchen, such as it is, is dependent on good weather or shelter and it has no toilet. It was pretty much a fancy hard-shell tent on wheels.

I think Paddy was the only one with a bona-fide caravan of the three, but then this is Top Gear and so I probably shouldn't overthink this stuff. :)

I'm glad they gave that Chevette some respect, the old lot would have trashed what is clearly a car somebody loved. What's funny is its the same age as my Dad's one he had when I was a kid, it's been made into a rally car and I bet it still has more of its original parts than my Dad's GE

That was a common name for them :lol:

I remember Dads breaking down and him needing to abandon it, walk to a mates who lived about 20 minutes away from where he'd broken down, to borrow the alternator off his, walking back in the pitch black and having to hold a torch so he could change them over.

I do like it when topgear go racing, however.........maybe it was the choice of presenter sir 'big head' himself that just didn't do it justice. Just felt a bit flat. Rare sight to see a ginetta pulling up sick. I wonder if the oaf had a hand in it? Anyway, it was nice to at least see he started to appreciate just how hard it is, I hope they get back to mexico for the failed Baja event.

The Delorean segment at the end was great, but the rest of the programme was a bit dull. I like the way that the new Top Gear is a lot more earnest and less flippant than it was in the Clarkson dark ages, and I guess there was some potential in the idea of a pro sportsman trying to get to grips with a completely different, extremely high-pressure, sport, but I wasn't that enthralled with Freddie becoming a qualified racing driver. I mean, he seems like a pretty good driver already, so the stakes felt quite low. It would have been more engaging if Paddy had been doing it instead, given that he can barely drive a car in a straight line and was dripping with sweat and clearly shitting himself when he was driving that £4m supercar at the start. But then again, it probably would have been a pretty short segment.

It felt a bit Fifth Gear with each segment only focused on one presenter with Harris only showing up briefly during Flintoff's racing driver class. Next week will be interesting because it sounds like they are doing the best cars for new drivers segment again. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

It felt a bit Fifth Gear with each segment only focused on one presenter with Harris only showing up briefly during Flintoff's racing driver class. Next week will be interesting because it sounds like they are doing the best cars for new drivers segment again. 

Probably covid restrictions. 

IPlayer has the very first series with the original trio.  Didn’t realise May started on the second.  Quite amusing looking back and seeing how young they all looked!

On 12/12/2021 at 21:43, wev said:

Freddie Flintoff isn't doing is "Serial Killer look" any favours by driving a cream/white Beetle...

Bundy’s the least of your worries bearing in mind who commissioned the Beetle in the first place !

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2021 at 21:24, Vespa Alex said:

It’s the best thing on tonight, though that’s not saying too much. 

I really enjoyed it. The current group of presenters managed to reverse their spiralling trajectory for me quite early on after I thought they were bullying Chris. The overwhelming impression I get from the show when I watch it now is that they’re not mean spirited and cynical, which is the opposite of how Clarkson et al approached it. 

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

I’m staying with my mum for Christmas and she recorded the last two seasons for me on Sky. Are there any particularly good episodes I should watch ?

The latest Christmas episode was great, and the Eddie Kidd episode which I think was the first episode of this season was excellent. 

They are all worth a watch though.