Hexx

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Grid based combat?

IM IN!

Do I need to play the first before hand?

Not really, it starts with a small bit of the first game then quickly changes to the super hero stuff.

Pre-order copies (and maybe any left of that first run) come with a digital download version of the first game.

Ok, more impressions.

Played about 3-4 more hours yesterday, it continues to be really good.

The combat is getting harder now, and just had the first few ‘boss’ fights (one of which introduced a totally different mechanic, so that was really pleasantly unexpected).

I’ve also unlocked the second set of three sub classes you can choose from. Each has four attacks (three regular and a ‘super’), and you can switch these out as you wish with your original class skills, for your own unique combination.

I don’t want to spoil too much of it, as I think enjoyment will come from the fact that so much of the game comes out of left field (like the show itself), but so far I’ve selected a kryptonite/weakness, and got the first two summons.

There are definitely lots of collect / scavenger hunt style quests, but because of the writing, you don’t mind doing it (or at least, I don’t). The humour is as good as the show, with tons of the characters featured, and lots and lots of in-jokes.

I get the impression there are still further battle mechanics to be added, so that bodes well. If it continues in this mould, I’d thoroughly recommend it- I’m certainly loving it so far.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, a lot of the first was spent just walking around, triggering gags around South Park. Either by talking to people, or opening doors at random.

Doesn't make a Recommended on the Eurogamer review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-16-south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-review

They say the writing isn't strong enough this time around and there's not enough new narrative ideas, but the gameplay is better.

For me it's all about the lols - if this one's simply not as funny as the first then I might give it a miss. The RPG was ok in Stick of Truth but it was the laughs a minute and unexpected gameplay spoofs that kept me playing. It would be cool to hear more forumites impressions of But Whole's comedy value.

It was my fear when I read about the improved mechanics - that they ended up concentrating on the game systems more than what made it uniquely South Park in the first place. Better use of fart weapons is not a good replacement for a well-targetted throw-away line...

52 minutes ago, krenzler said:

I’m thinking this too - Retroguy did you play the first one? 

Yep, just as funny as the first one as far as I’m concerned (and I can remember), but I’m only about 6-8 hours in so far, so can’t say if it takes a nosedive further in.

Does have a lot of repetitive fart-based humour, but then again I think the first did too.

The Polygon interview asks the question of whether it's worth playing if you don't like the show, and lands on a no generally. Sounds alright mechanically (if a bit easy), but the humour is the standard racist/sexist drivel the show descended into a few years ago after they decided satire was too much effort. If you still like the show it's probably worth it, but seems like a miss for anyone else. 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/16481094/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole-review-ubisoft

Oh yeah, if you don’t like the show, there’s no way you’re going to like it, even with much improved strategy in the combat. The South Parkness is very much baked in; it is very much a uniquely South Park game.

So I've just ordered this on Xbox going to get stick of truth with the order, as the store promised. 

However, Stick of Truth doesn't appear in my "ready to install" section. The store just says not currently available when I manually search for it. 

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can trigger the Stick of Truth download?

Didn't realise I had this pre-ordered on PS4 from ages back. So it'll be nice having it arrive. Also didn't realise the PS4 version also came with Stick of Truth, just assumed it was the XB1 version with a BC copy of the game. 

So two games for £43 isn't too bad, even if one is a few years old now. 

So I completely forgot I pre-ordered this way back in 2015 which I only remembered when it turned up on my doorstep this morning!

What's even better is that I had somehow got it pre-ordered for £24 odd - And it includes the Stick of Truth code! Result!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

Didn't realise I had this pre-ordered on PS4 from ages back. So it'll be nice having it arrive. Also didn't realise the PS4 version also came with Stick of Truth, just assumed it was the XB1 version with a BC copy of the game. 

So two games for £43 isn't too bad, even if one is a few years old now. 

no the xb1 version is the xbox one edition of stick of truth the leaflet inside is confusing says play on xbox one and 360 but it downloads a xbone version

• Upvote 1

Up to Night 1. It's crass,puerile and vulgar like most South Park stuff - but it's entertaining enough as well. There's enough good jokes to put up with focus on poo and farts.

Combat's getting more interesting - I'm now a Blaster/Psi. The grid system does make you think and is different enough to not feel like a rehash of the first game. Kyle/Jimmy/Craig are my team right now

That drug dealer mission though

3 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I'm about 5 hours in now.

Been a few giggles along the way. One particular moment when I laughed in awkwardness though.

Which bit? (Assuming it's on Day 1)

I'm finding the (literally) toilet humor a bit much - but then things like the Church or Police Station balance it out.

Ah haven't been there yet.

The Priests and the Drug Dealer are pretty much the closest I've come

That and the person interested in Yhoi

Did Mackay ask you your sexuality? I'm sure someone said he would, but after cis male it stopped

2 hours ago, strider said:

I've finally just realised the title is The Fractured Butt Hole.

Do I win a prize?

Not you as well. I'm going to have to apologize for calling @Capwn a troll now:

On 9/22/2017 at 17:23, Capwn said:

The Fractured But Whole = The Fractured BUTT HOLE 

On 10/3/2017 at 17:33, smac said:

Don't feed him, guys - he's been drive-by posting in various threads, making obviously dumb posts with a wide-eyed innocent look on his face.

So, yes, you win the 'Dumb like a Capwn' prize.

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, strider said:

I've finally just realised the title is The Fractured Butt Hole.

Do I win a prize?

'The' in the title bother me to an irrational extent. It would be a much better title without it. Feels like somebody at Ubisoft was afraid people wouldn't get the gag without it there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smac said:

Not you as well. I'm going to have to apologize for calling @Capwn a troll now:

So, yes, you win the 'Dumb like a Capwn' prize.

See I much prefer being called dumb then a troll, it really did take me this long to realize the 'pun'. As I expected, I'm clearly not the only one.

On 10/3/2017 at 18:23, Capwn said:

Sorry, What do you mean?

I don't know what remedial is. Google says "giving or intended as a remedy or cure."

Now you're here, I apologize. I'm sorry I called you a troll.