Hexx

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Ubisoft kicked off their E3 press conference with a new South Park RPG. It's the follow up to the Stick of Truth, but, rather than that game's fantasy parodying, this time it's superheroes.

It's called, of course, South Park: The Fractured But Whole.

Asked on stage why they're making a new RPG, Trey Parker said, "at the end of Stick of Truth we kind of learned how to make video games." They won't be making this one with Obsidian, though, as Ubisoft: San Francisco has been announced as the developer. Despite the switch, the game will retain Stick of Truth's role-playing and combat style.

Parker and Stone revealed that once again you'll be playing as the New Kid. This time, however, the game will delve into the kid's origin story—as befits any good superhero tale.

Here's the plot, courtesy of the trailer's description:

"Players will delve into the crime-ridden underbelly of South Park with Coon and Friends. This dedicated group of crime fighters was formed by Eric Cartman whose superhero alter-ego, The Coon, is half man, half raccoon. As the New Kid, players will join Mysterion, Toolshed, Human Kite, Mosquito, Mint Berry Crunch and a host of others to battle the forces of evil while Coon strives to make his team the most beloved superheroes in history."

No release date has been announced, but Fractured But Whole will be available for PC and current-gen consoles

• Upvote 4

I enjoyed The Stick of Truth much more than the recent seasons of South Park. South Park works best when the kids are acting like kids and this looks the same to me.

Stick of Truth was fantastic. The combat got a bit repetitive towards the end but everything else was enough to keep me glued to it. Very much looking forward to this.

I actually don't think it would be possible to improve on the look and sound of Stick of Truth. I mean it's identical to the source material. I think Robo must mean it would be nice ot have a current gen version.

There's a few bits where the frame rate goes a bit choppy (on 360) but other than that, it's amazingly close to the show. Cant wait for more of the game, love that they even nod to some of the complaints in the trailer, like the combat being crappy.

The Stick Of Truth was my game of the year last year. Even with it's flaws, it was simply the most enjoyable thing I played all last year. If they can sort some of those out, make the combat system better, flesh out whatever classes they include this time, make the game world a bit bigger and more open, with more stuff to do as side missions, and use the super hero source material as well as they used the LotR-esque stuff to add humour like they did in the last game, then I would be soooooooo happy.

• Upvote 1

And in case people just dip into the game threads and miss it elsewhere: buy Fractured But Whole in advance and get Stick of Truth for PS4/Xbone/PC as a free download now. Or buy the game when it comes out and get it then.

22 minutes ago, StephenM said:

And in case people just dip into the game threads and miss it elsewhere: buy Fractured But Whole in advance and get Stick of Truth for PS4/Xbone/PC as a free download now. Or buy the game when it comes out and get it then.

Any idea where I need to pre order for free ps4 version?

11 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Any idea where I need to pre order for free ps4 version?

ubisoft.com

for 55 quid

This really looks great. Can't wait to play it.

The first game was a surprise, the combat could have been a bit better but the story was great. Guessing this new one will keep me busy over xmas! 

On 6/20/2015 at 15:29, George Clooney said:

There's a few bits where the frame rate goes a bit choppy (on 360) but other than that, it's amazingly close to the show. Cant wait for more of the game, love that they even nod to some of the complaints in the trailer, like the combat being crappy.

The Stick Of Truth was my game of the year last year. Even with it's flaws, it was simply the most enjoyable thing I played all last year. If they can sort some of those out, make the combat system better, flesh out whatever classes they include this time, make the game world a bit bigger and more open, with more stuff to do as side missions, and use the super hero source material as well as they used the LotR-esque stuff to add humour like they did in the last game, then I would be soooooooo happy.

Got to second this, as I am currently playing Stick of Truth, and it's been the most fun I have had in ages. If you have not played it, getting the 2 games together will be a treat and a half.

I've just got to Canada, where the style flipped again in a brilliant, brilliant way. All the way through this, I find myself not believing that they actually put this stuff in a game and got away with it. Even the censored screens are funny (as I have the EU version), but how the hell they censored those bits and left some of the other stuff there is completely beyond me. Not laughed so much in a long time with a game, and the mechanics are pretty good too, while the art style is perfect and looks just like an episode of the game. Don't want to spoil it for people so can't give examples, but the fact that each new set piece seems to ramp up the tastelessness and foulness is amazing, it's as much of a revelation as an adult funny game as Conker was back in the day.

• Upvote 1

On 17/06/2016 at 16:39, Doctor Shark said:

Ahaha. Butthole.

Yeah, I can't believe I missed that, until my missus pointed it out yesterday 'Ha, "fractured butthole", *snort*'.

3 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Got to second this, as I am currently playing Stick of Truth, and it's been the most fun I have had in ages. If you have not played it, getting the 2 games together will be a treat and a half.

I've just got to Canada, where the style flipped again in a brilliant, brilliant way. All the way through this, I find myself not believing that they actually put this stuff in a game and got away with it. Even the censored screens are funny (as I have the EU version), but how the hell they censored those bits and left some of the other stuff there is completely beyond me. Not laughed so much in a long time with a game, and the mechanics are pretty good too, while the art style is perfect and looks just like an episode of the game. Don't want to spoil it for people so can't give examples, but the fact that each new set piece seems to ramp up the tastelessness and foulness is amazing, it's as much of a revelation as an adult funny game as Conker was back in the day.

There's a bit right at the end that shows that they only looked at the earlier  or certain bits of the game as it's ridiculous (in a brilliant way) and amazing it wasn't censored considering what was censored.

Still a bit boring that they did censor any of it really but hey ho.

• Upvote 1

Shit, I'm actually tempted by Games special edition of this. 

The six inch Mysterion figure is £39.99 at Forbidden Planet and this comes with a seemingly exclusive six inch Coon figure.

Add on the game, Stick of Truth, some DLC and tat and suddenly £79.99 doesn't seem total madness. 

I dunno; I got the special edition of Stick of Truth for 20 quid in the Amazon Black Friday sale, quite some time afterwards, with the 6 inch Wizard Cartman figure.

Not that this is necessarily going to be the case this year, mind.

1 hour ago, smac said:

I dunno; I got the special edition of Stick of Truth for 20 quid in the Amazon Black Friday sale, quite some time afterwards, with the 6 inch Wizard Cartman figure.

Not that this is necessarily going to be the case this year, mind.

You're right. I'll get the game a few weeks after release for twenty quid, the Mysterion figure for £35 and then the Coon down the line for another £20 off Ebay.

£4.99 cheaper than the special edition and I get two figures!