Jump to content
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

Recommended Posts

yeah DF took a look at it! the worst part, the ps4 standard version runs LOCKED at 30!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2018 at 20:52, Minion said:

The English Design Works for Dark Souls III is available for pre order at Amazon, release date of 28th August. I have the Japanese version and it's beautiful. It's £45.

 

Do these tend to sell out? I'd like to get this at Christmas but won't wait if it going to be rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mindgames said:

 

Do these tend to sell out? I'd like to get this at Christmas but won't wait if it going to be rare.

 

Looking on Amazon all the other ones are available so I would say probably not and you should be fine. DS3 may be more popular though, who knows!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, @Minion. I'm back on DS3 because I never completed The Ringed City DLC. I only have a SL151 NG+ character which I can respec so I've gone for an utter filth Sellsword Lightning Blade build, 60 FTH (Yorshka's +10) and about 60 DEX or something. Poor Sir Vinland, I shredded him in about three seconds. More of a Sunlight Cannon than Glass. I don't think I need to go through AoA but I'm doing it just to warm up for TRC which I remember being so hard that I bounced off it (with a NG+2/3 build, can't remember). It's interesting going through the Corvian Settlement though and annihilating those crow creatures, instead of panicking and running through the entire thing and then off a cliff. I'm now at the bit with the soldiers and dogs and kicking over the tree trunks. I'm just going to sprint it, do the flies, Friede get fucked and then onto TRC, hopefully with a bit more luck this time.

 

If not for all your praise, I would have written this off for good. I'm enjoying the game for the first time since, ooh, May 2016. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Right, @Minion. I'm back on DS3 because I never completed The Ringed City DLC. I only have a SL151 NG+ character which I can respec so I've gone for an utter filth Sellsword Lightning Blade build, 60 FTH (Yorshka's +10) and about 60 DEX or something. Poor Sir Vinland, I shredded him in about three seconds. More of a Sunlight Cannon than Glass. I don't think I need to go through AoA but I'm doing it just to warm up for TRC which I remember being so hard that I bounced off it (with a NG+2/3 build, can't remember). It's interesting going through the Corvian Settlement though and annihilating those crow creatures, instead of panicking and running through the entire thing and then off a cliff. I'm now at the bit with the soldiers and dogs and kicking over the tree trunks. I'm just going to sprint it, do the flies, Friede get fucked and then onto TRC, hopefully with a bit more luck this time.

 

If not for all your praise, I would have written this off for good. I'm enjoying the game for the first time since, ooh, May 2016. 

 

Awesome man I hope you enjoy it! There are bits of the Ringed City that are rock hard but your build sounds super awesome and towards the end you'll pick up lightning arrow which'll make your faith build even more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the screen shot overload but I've taken to DS3 after Vodka (I know, I know :()

 

So I apparently killed The Dancer :D

 

5acfbb19336e9_DARKSOULSIII_20180412204457.thumb.jpg.4efef438590f0cf4cb9f23bf0ee6424f.jpg

 

Killed this chap

 

5acfbb65ac67d_DARKSOULSIII_20180412204639.thumb.jpg.8169a36905966b6fed0aa5e5f1745310.jpg

 

How many stairs?

 

5acfbb5b3b02f_DARKSOULSIII_20180412203924.thumb.jpg.07a4ce2642f953d704151521c619d405.jpg

 

And at this point I said 'Nope'  (DS3 sober from tomorrow evening)

 

5acfbb4f73f48_DARKSOULSIII_20180412203856.thumb.jpg.27608565367cc0ee822c4b3fc95f4c8b.jpg

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Minion said:

 

Awesome man I hope you enjoy it! There are bits of the Ringed City that are rock hard but your build sounds super awesome and towards the end you'll pick up lightning arrow which'll make your faith build even more fun.

 

Well, I struggled with Friede for a little while but eventually took her down with a helpful summon (not Gael). Then I legged it through the Earthen Peak Ruins and found pretty much everything along with a thousand deaths before attempting the Prince, never seen him before. Tough fight first time but I brought Gael with me for a second crack and just kept right up in his face in the final form and tore through him. DPS on this Sellsword build is insane, especially with Pontiff's Eye (can't remember which). I even managed a stagger and crit. Finally arrived in TRC for the first time and I'm impressed. Called it a day, shortly after being riddled by you know who and then one shot by you know what! I'll get there. It's actually exciting to be playing new Dark Souls and have that feeling of the unknown. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've still got Midir to go but I really enjoyed the grand finale (unless that's Midir - whom I assume is more like Kalameet) against Gael. Fantastic fight and setting, and I looked up Shira so polished her off too. While it wasn't wholly satisfying from a lore point of view, there were some amazing moments and I'm sure there's loads I'll have missed, as ever. Looking forward to checking out some Vaati to find out more. I still have my reservations about a number of things but I'm happy to have finally finished the trilogy and some of the final areas and bosses were up there with the best of DS3. Gael and his setting will probably end up somewhere in my Souls top ten. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah what an incredible boss fight to end the series, one of their best and shows how good From have got at these encounters. I won't lie Midir can be a right dick to begin with but it's such a spectacle and they finally got a dragon fight right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kos Mos said:

Lothric Castle can fuck right off :(

 

Definitely one of the hardest gauntlets in the base game, take it slow, bait out enemies to avoid being mobbed and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article on how DS3 might have been compared to what we ended up with. 

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-18-dark-souls-3s-originally-ended-with-a-fight-against-pointiff-sylvhan-and-played-out-very-differently

 

Reading the findings, they do make a lot of sense. Such as the fact that Gundyr is the consumed king and should have been in Oceiros' throne room,. This is why in the fight with Gundyr the 2nd phase sees him bursting out with black puss similar to what you find in the Consumed King's Garden.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how the Dark Souls "lore" is so vague that they can just switch bosses around and it doesn't make any less sense. Sulyvahn would have been a great final boss though - he's a total dick.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow what a great article and some brilliant sleuthing. It also shows how much tinkering around the design has been done on the final version, the geographical stuff at the end in particular is really interesting as to how that could have worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

I love how the Dark Souls "lore" is so vague that they can just switch bosses around and it doesn't make any less sense. Sulyvahn would have been a great final boss though - he's a total dick.

 

Yeah, this was just further confirmation to me that most of the incredibly reaching, tenuous 'lore' theories are exactly that. All three of the Souls games where chopped and changed heavily right up until the last minute, people parsing through the exact phrasing of every item and conjuring a ludicrously elaborate backstories for every little detail aren't so much filling in the blanks as making it up themselves.

 

I mean, its no different from most film dissections or any other death of the author stuff, but 95% of the stuff super-fans obsess over in any medium was probably decided on for mostly obvious aesthetic and logistical reasons rather than an insanely vague narrative subtext someone has willed themselves into seeing.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

 

Yeah, this was just further confirmation to me that most of the incredibly reaching, tenuous 'lore' theories are exactly that. All three of the Souls games where chopped and changed heavily right up until the last minute, people parsing through the exact phrasing of every item and conjuring a ludicrously elaborate backstories for every little detail aren't so much filling in the blanks as making it up themselves.

 

I mean, its no different from most film dissections or any other death of the author stuff, but 95% of the stuff super-fans obsess over in any medium was probably decided on for mostly obvious aesthetic and logistical reasons rather than an insanely vague narrative subtext someone has willed themselves into seeing.

 

I downvoted you, just because you're wrong about the first game. The second was somehow dragged into a barely cohesive state but at least all of the lore reiterated the same theme in the vanilla game, and then they tidied it up even further with the Scholar rework and added extra bits of glue. The third game is a lore cluster fuck, and unsatisfying to me, but it's mechanically brilliant.

 

The first game is details upon details both environmentally and in dialogue and reinforced by item descriptions. It was conceived as a perfect circle and while some geographical areas and enemy placements in the second half obviously haven't had the same care and time as the first half, conceptually, they're rock solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I've just bought this after enjoying Bloodborne so much, the apocalypse edition case is probably one of the nicest I've ever seen. Lovely stuff!

 

9226bf4ebc57.png

 

Dark Souls is a different beast to Bloodborne, so will take some getting used to.

Have you not played any of the series?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played the original on 360 but couldn't get past the horrific frame rate and loading. I did like what I played and intended to pick up the ps3 version instead but never got round to it. 

 

With God of War out today I'm tempted to wait until DS remastered and play through them in order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK so this is me..

 

5ada4a15c0e97_DARKSOULSIII_20180420210404.thumb.jpg.fce6f4800baec7049015775da194bbe5.jpg

 

What stats would you recomend increasing (I like the look of the Fume Sword but it kills my Stamina) 

 

Strength for the Fume?

 

5ada49e9acf02_DARKSOULSIII_20180420210043.thumb.jpg.0f62cc330c6728f42681e8f5121a2df0.jpg

 

I'm only asking as I can almost handle Lothric Castle but having wandered into the Consumed King's Garden I had a WTF moment.

 

One more thing should I really be wearing this?

 

5ada4a0dcee4e_DARKSOULSIII_20180420210107.thumb.jpg.64a29c9d7f15eaf50400e5dd9cb48f6c.jpg

 

Many thanks for any advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh @Kos Mos, so many ideas..

 

1. Stats. 

You could start pushing vigor to 40, and get a ton more health.  Or put some into attunement for FP and start using your weapon arts more! They are super cool and useful. 

 

2. Where to go. 

I'd head consumed Kings Garden before lothric castle. Doesn't really matter which you choose though. 

 

3. Armour. 

Sup to you, man! You do look pretty amazing.  Dat equip burden tho. I can't play anything other than sub 30%..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ENDURANCE!!!! get that to 40! thats the cap, the more you can hit things and avoid/block, the better! you can increase it a tad with the ring of fap though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.