Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.  I've got the Nigel Mansell one and Street Racer.  Will investigate the Kamen Rider one - that looks interesting.

Avoid Doraemon Kart Racer.  It's arse.  Let down by the hardware, as you said.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered about IPS screens and seen some videos on Youtube with some GBA SP mods so I thought I'd give it a go as a lockdown project. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. I decided to do a reshell at the same time as I thought if I'm changing the screen I might as well make the most of it. I wanted something better than my original cobalt blue colour so I went for one of the aftermarket cases I saw on Ebay. I don't think it's a design I've ever seen that was official.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've been thinking of doing one for the Gameboy Color but I'm still unsure at the moment.

2 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

I recently discovered about IPS screens and seen some videos on Youtube with some GBA SP mods so I thought I'd give it a go as a lockdown project. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. I decided to do a reshell at the same time as I thought if I'm changing the screen I might as well make the most of it. I wanted something better than my original cobalt blue colour so I went for one of the aftermarket cases I saw on Ebay. I don't think it's a design I've ever seen that was official.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've been thinking of doing one for the Gameboy Color but I'm still unsure at the moment.

I added an IPS screen to my GBC. I kept the original case as the plastic just feels so much better compared to the aftermarket kits (a bit of plastic clipping / sanding is required. 

Make sure your kit comes with a bracket - it saves the stress of a misaligned screen!

I prefer it over my modded GBA. 

On 30/05/2019 at 13:37, SqueakyG said:

I keep seeing adverts for a company called "Retrosix" in RG magazine, so I checked them out. Oof -- too expensive for me! They clean and restore the guts of GB, Pocket, Color, Advance, and put them in new aftermarket shells. That's £59.99. Then for GBA you can get them to put in the backlit 

Retrosix are massively overpriced. It actually annoys me. I understand they are trying to make a living from it but they are bordering on ripping people off with their mods. All the other bits they sell you can easily import from AliExpress for next to nothing too.

Anybody got any tips on spotting a fake GBA cart? I hardly dare buy off eBay as it seems rife with repro carts. Is there a definitive way to tell if a game is real?

12 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Anybody got any tips on spotting a fake GBA cart? I hardly dare buy off eBay as it seems rife with repro carts. Is there a definitive way to tell if a game is real?

You get used to spotting them, but on eBay it can be tricky. The best method is to look for the two indented alphanumeric codes on the right hand side of the label. Very few fake games have this. Otherwise, a few other tell tale signs are the texture on the cart and logo, fakes tend to be a big more rigid, genuine appear softer, and also sometimes the arc on the top of the cart is slightly offset to left on the fakes.

if you look at the picture, the left one is fake and right is real. See if you can spot what I have mentioned.

32C3B743-31F1-4D8F-B1F7-A00D53A28FEB.jpeg

Sometimes the fakes do have indented numbers, but on this fire emblem cart, the edginess of the logo gives it away. Bottom cart is fake, you can also see the top arch is offset to the left.

2495D90D-8182-4EDF-B38A-BFA887E825AB.jpeg

Wow, the fakes have indented numbers now. That's new since my collecting days.

I used to go by:

1) Indented numbers

2) Nintendo logo on the bottom of the circuit board (you can see it if you tilt the cart up, without opening it)

3) Rear screw should be a tri-wing not a phillips/flathead

4) Cart moulding quality

5) General label shoddiness - fakes tend to have busy looking labels that are reproductions of the box art, rather than the rather spartan labels real games have. AGB numbers are often wrong too, or have halos around the edge or are too bold.

I might have fallen for that Fire Emblem though, it's an impressive fake! AGB number looks weird, though.

As far as I know no-one ever faked up the enhanced carts - Boktai, Boktai 2, Yoshi's Tilt & Tumble, Wario Ware Twisted and Drill Dozer. Although they did do knock-offs in normal cart format which were basically unplayable.

@CovisGod If in doubt, post a link in here, it'll be fun to try and suss out which ones are real.

Buy a tri-wing screw driver, and open the game up. Seriously it's the only way to check. For a lot of the more sought after games, there are more fakes than genuine cartridges on eBay. At least with CEX if you do buy a fake, you can easily send it back.

So based on that if you do buy cart only from eBay, buy from a seller showing a picture of the board. If it's all boxed with all the inserts then you can assume it's genuine - the counterfeiters don't seem that bothered about reproducing all that.

On 28/05/2020 at 11:18, bignige said:

I added an IPS screen to my GBC. I kept the original case as the plastic just feels so much better compared to the aftermarket kits (a bit of plastic clipping / sanding is required. 

Make sure your kit comes with a bracket - it saves the stress of a misaligned screen!

I prefer it over my modded GBA. 

Thanks, I've seen some 3D printed ones on Ebay I might go for to give it a try. Where did you get your IPS screen from?

Also, does anyone know where I can get some screws for the original DMG Gameboy? I managed to wear the 2 outer screws where the battery compartment is and I want something to replace them with. I've seen these but I'm not sure if the ends are too sharp for them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Game-Boy-Console-Shell-Screws-Philips-Color-Pocket-Original-Advance-GBA-GBC/254582237921?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://retrosix.co.uk

They’re a little bit more expensive (and their prices do seem to go up every few weeks) than your aliexpress, but delivery is very quick. 

I think they also do screws too. 

Quick tip, it you don’t want to pay VAT they have an eBay shop that works out slightly cheaper. 

Just search for RetroSix on eBay. 

Hah! It looks like that Ebay link I posted are the RetroSix ones :P. But yeah there's a huge difference in price compared to their site, it gets bumped up with VAT and postage. I think those 3D printed brackets I was looking at are made by them as well. Looks like I'll be giving those screws a go. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

Hah! It looks like that Ebay link I posted are the RetroSix ones :P. But yeah there's a huge difference in price compared to their site, it gets bumped up with VAT and postage. I think those 3D printed brackets I was looking at are made by them as well. Looks like I'll be giving those screws a go. Thanks again!

If you buy the GBC IPS screen it comes with a bracket. 

14 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

Don't get ripped off on retrosix! I've probably got some knocking about I can send you for cost of postage.

14 minutes ago, Das said:

Don't get ripped off on retrosix! I've probably got some knocking about I can send you for cost of postage.

Cheers, give me a PM if you find any, I only need a couple.

16 hours ago, bignige said:

https://retrosix.co.uk

They’re a little bit more expensive (and their prices do seem to go up every few weeks) than your aliexpress, but delivery is very quick. 

I think they also do screws too. 

Quick tip, it you don’t want to pay VAT they have an eBay shop that works out slightly cheaper. 

Just search for RetroSix on eBay. 

I had a look at their GBC upgrade and thought £19 is a great deal. Then I noticed for that £19 all they seem to do is little more than strip it down and clean it. For the backlit screen it’s another £66 and for the speaker upgrade its another £10. So it’s actually nearer £100 for the GBC upgrade? Wow...

How much is it for the back screen? 

58 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I had a look at their GBC upgrade and thought £19 is a great deal. Then I noticed for that £19 all they seem to do is little more than strip it down and clean it. For the backlit screen it’s another £66 and for the speaker upgrade its another £10. So it’s actually nearer £100 for the GBC upgrade? Wow...

How much is it for the back screen? 

You honestly thought you’d get an IPS screen for £19?

When I bought one it was closer to £50 which wasn’t that much over what you’d pay for one at AliExpress.

Im too impatient to wait several weeks and it seemed like a nice lockdown project. 

Anyways, here’s the link to screen price. 
https://retrosix.co.uk/Game-Boy-Color-IPS-Color-Screen-Kit-p186744068

Obviously, if you’re willing to shop around and wait on longer delivery times  you can get this cheaper or you could just buy an IPS GBC complete off eBay. 

3 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

Cheers, give me a PM if you find any, I only need a couple.

Tri-wing ok? Will have a look tonight.

Actually I forgot to ask for those who have the GB Color IPS mod. My understanding is that it makes use of the IR sensor to adjust the brightness via touch but does the IR sensor still work? I know it doesn't make use of many games but I wasn't sure if it disables the feature or if both still work in unison. I only ever recall using it with Pokemon Gold & Silver for the colour Pikachu pedometer.

3 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

Actually I forgot to ask for those who have the GB Color IPS mod. My understanding is that it makes use of the IR sensor to adjust the brightness via touch but does the IR sensor still work? I know it doesn't make use of many games but I wasn't sure if it disables the feature or if both still work in unison. I only ever recall using it with Pokemon Gold & Silver for the colour Pikachu pedometer.

The suggested location is by the IR sensor but technically you can put it anywhere.  But yeah, if you put it there the IR sensor still works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was just watching this new GBA modding video. If you're prepared to put the money down it looks like it's easier than ever to do a decent job with little or no soldering required.