Nathan Wind

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

Those DS mods would fuck me off terribly. The border round the screen and the superfluous X and Y buttons would cause me to snap it in half.

• Empathy 1

17 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

The bar is a genius addition to making it look more legit/less like a broken DS. Liking it a lot.

Yeah I can't claim that idea but got the nod from the guy to make one like his. Played some more klonoa last night, I'm actually considering selling all my other gbas as it's definitely my favourite now!

On 25/06/2018 at 22:49, deKay said:

Those DS mods would fuck me off terribly. The border round the screen and the superfluous X and Y buttons would cause me to snap it in half.

OCD much? :lol:

Technically the X and Y buttons aren't redundant. They just mimick the A and B buttons. And the border is slightly annoying but the image is pixel perfect and, bar the Micro, the highest quality screen available to play GBA (yes, even better than the AGS 101)

So I've got about 4 knackered DSs I could potentially turn into GBA Macros...any desire? If so I'll make a batch and flog them.

On 20/06/2018 at 08:52, Das said:

1) So, so, light. Even lighter than a micro

2) squidgy film removed from the bottom touch screen, turns it into a gorgeous display

3) removes redundant screen if you only want to play GBA

4) cheap, possibly the cheapest way to play backlit GBA as you can buy a busted DS and salvage it for the sake of a tiny resistor (the only actual extra part you need to make this work)

5) novelty value

6) it looks cool as flip

And probably slightly easier to handle than the, frankly, almost too tiny GB micro.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, watusi said:

How much?

£55 delivered for the white with black. £50 delivered for white/white. Decided to keep the black one :D

I got one of the above ‘Macros’ from Das and absolutely love it. Found Harvest Moon for £5 at a car boot, to add to my F Zero, Final Fantasy VI, Mario Kart, Pokemon Leaf Green & Chu Chu Rocket :)  

• Upvote 2

On 13/08/2018 at 11:36, Mars said:

I got one of the above ‘Macros’ from Das and absolutely love it. Found Harvest Moon for £5 at a car boot, to add to my F Zero, Final Fantasy VI, Mario Kart, Pokemon Leaf Green & Chu Chu Rocket :)  

Glad you are enjoying it dude :)

• Upvote 1

After getting a new backlit GBA from Das, I went up in the loft at my parents today and got all my old Game Boy games out of storage. Some brilliant memories with these.

gb1.jpg.eb7ac58f99619f288d87b26bda95dad1.jpg

gbc1.jpg.80ccc4ad14349e92bd132d2c3a3d0330.jpg

gba1.jpg.e057397dc4690add9f862ae482f3fdc6.jpg

gba2.jpg.9d4c415d69b0a0f6bfcd9981b77853fa.jpg

I'd like to expand the GBA collection now and play a lot of games I missed. Any recommendations on where to find legit games? Too many fakes around on eBay.

• Upvote 6

Easy to find legit ones if you follow three simple rules:

- Label must have those impressed two digit codes. Never seen a fake with them. 

- Circuit board should have a Nintendo copyright in white, visible if you peer under the skirts of the cart - no need to open it. Never seen a fake in the wild with this.

- Rear screw should be a tri-wing. If it’s phillips, run. 

After a while you get a feel for fakes. They usually have different label art, often very busy compared to the fairly straightforward real ones (they’re usually crops of the easier-to-scan box art). Cart codes tend to have a weird white halo around them. 

Get ready to ask lots of eBay questions!

• Upvote 4

On 01/09/2018 at 17:32, Alexlotl said:

- Label must have those impressed two digit codes. Never seen a fake with them. 

This aged well. 

• Upvote 1

Just won a bid on a Super Game Boy 2 to go with my upcoming Analogue Super NT. Wooyay!

Vague plan to pick up an OG Game Boy, mod them, then get Pokemon Red and Blue and play through them with my daughter.

I have to try really hard to write "Game Boy" and not "Gameboy". I swear it used to be "Gameboy", it's a Berenstein/stain Bear-esque glitch in the matrix.

16 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

When did original Game Boy’s become so expensive? I just put mine on eBay for what I thought was a punchy asking price of £60 and it sold in less than 15 minutes. 

Was it boxed? Cardboard is what demands the big bucks in retro these days. The bare hardware itself is still pretty cheap.

14 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Was it boxed? Cardboard is what demands the big bucks in retro these days. The bare hardware itself is still pretty cheap.

Yeah. Boxed in a hard carry case with all the cardboard inserts, and the manual. The console itself wasn’t in that good condition. In my head I assumed/hoped it would be worth £20-£30. So I was surprised by the prices they sell for. The speed at which it sold suggests I probably put it up for too little. Ah well. Then again after fees and postage costs I’m up over £50 for something I haven’t used for almost 20 years.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Just won a bid on a Super Game Boy 2 to go with my upcoming Analogue Super NT. Wooyay!

...and snagged a copy of Catrap as my inaugral test game. Been interested in this one ever since Jeremy Parish reviewed it. Never got a European release, so doesn't seem to show up often.

• Upvote 1

Just got a PiL Blue original gameboy in the post, together with a few games (Super Mario Land, Wave Race) and some other shit (bag, game genie). Didn’t really expect to win it for £35 odd. I’m too ashamed to open it in the office :ph34r:

Plan is to backlight and bivert it with gear from Deadpan Robot. A few Qs:

1) Anyone know if anyone sells glass lenses that don’t get the font wrong? The ones I’ve seen either use the wrong font, or have the “SOUND” of Stereo Sound misaligned with the rest of the text. Not sure if this a deliberate “Nontondo” thing.

2) What screen colour would people recommend with a blue gameboy?

The games (with a few honourable exceptions) are so wonderfully cheap and robust that I think I’ll just snack-buy them from eBay rather than getting an Everdrive. 

Catrap is great! The Game Boy screen is awful!

Seriously though, it’s worse than I remember - the ghosting more than the light. I think watching so much SGB captured footage made me forget the blur.

22 levels into Catrap and loving it. Amazed no-one has ported it to iPhone.  

Been enjoying Medal of Honor infiltrator lately. Really good fun and pretty bloody tough. Will need to look into some more GBA titles as after buying the machine on release day I basically wrote it off, what with not being able to view the screen very well. I went for an SP but only played Warioware for any length on that. Daft really because I know the machine had some classics, played a few thanks to my 3DS getting Ambassador titles. Now's the time I think for some low spec games, been having loads of fun thanks to my 8bitdo SF Pro and my S9+ and hacked Vita. Loving playing games that I missed due to only becoming a gamer in the mid 90s. (had a VCS in the early 80s but only got the bug around the PS1).

Any recommendations welcome.