Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Dig Dug

If you are aged 25 or over the new DLC has been released.

If you are under 25, the new DLC has "dropped".

Either way, it's a new classic mode and a new crossover mode. And as always, it is free, making this surely one or the best value games of all time. Just as you finish the content you have they give you something more, all free.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-01-14-bloodstained-ritual-of-the-nights-retro-inspired-classic-mode-is-out-today

5 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I need to get back and finish this game, but those last few achievements are so grindy, it's putting me off the rest of the game. :(

Note that you can rebuy items you've crafted at the shop, rather than recraft them again for various crafting branches. I'd also recommend boosting your Luck stat above all else.

9 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I need to get back and finish this game, but those last few achievements are so grindy, it's putting me off the rest of the game. :(

If you want to platinum you can grind individual items on separate playthroughs if that helps. Use a walkthrough to see what you are missing, look at where to go to get those items and pick them up next time you play.  

Classic Mode is good fun. It's almost exactly patterned after CV1, to the extent that you can predict what the next stage or boss will be, but if you view it as a tribute to that game, it's a very solid one. It has some really excellent bits of level design, too, with varied terrain, smart enemy placement and some interesting tricky spots, etc, although it does rely on Dullahammer heads (this series' Medusa heads) a little too often. Miriam's moveset borrows from later games in the series, which helps to keep things feeling fresh - she has the backflip from Rondo (which can now be triggered during a forward jump, so if you turn around in mid-air before doing it you essentially get a double jump), an extra input to increase the strength of whip attacks, and a slide which rebounds off enemies, putting you at a safe distance after using it.

That this is a free addition to the series that matches the other games' quality for the most part is pretty incredible.

I got more fun out of it when I bought it for about £20 years ago than I've had out of God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man and Assassin's Creed Valhalla (the last 'big' games I've played) combined. I haven't even been back to look at the new stuff they've added, and it's comfortably one the most fun gaming experiences I've had in at least a decade.

• 3 weeks later...

This game is broken. 

I don't mean "the gameplay is broken". I mean it's literally broken. It has crashed out - without even an error message - 6 times in the last two days on an Xbox Series S. 

All around the hub area, which in theory should limit the pain, except its happened twice when I've warped back to ensure I could save as I didn't want to lose progress. It is absolutely sapping my will to play the game. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice extra secrets from Bloodstaineds recent classic mode. 

Spoiler

If you tap the whip button then tap the direction you are facing the whip electrifies.

Wonder if there are any other secrets like that?

Holy mackerel. I was thinking , that looks good... No that looks great... Yep! Buying that.  Then 

Spoiler

It's free DLC again! This is unbelievable. A gift that just keeps on giving.  Game of the year again.

On 16/02/2021 at 21:17, Calashnikov said:

Isn’t it DLC for Blasphemous as opposed to Bloodstained?

Yes, you're right although it's been reported in a few places as being for Bloodstained.  Disappointed but I hadn't heard of Blasphemous and I'm tempted to get that now.

• 4 months later...

I'm a few hours into this now. Should I be save scumming this in on order to get a good ending? I vaguely remember the DS Castlevania games being easy enough to get the bad ending in but I can't remember how avoidable they were.

• 3 weeks later...

Up to 98.7% map completion now and I think the final boss is next. I haven't checked to see if I have all the secret areas of the map done but I highly highly doubt I have. 

Starting to hate Susie now. I've two quests left to do for her and it looks like that'll involve grinding things out in order to get the last few ingredients I need. It's the weakest set of quests as it's the most grindy by far. Maybe I'll change my mind if the two battles I have to do in order to complete the Lindsay questline are horrible altogether. 

Spoiler

Does the 8-bit nightmare count towards map completion? 

14 hours ago, bear said:

Up to 98.7% map completion now and I think the final boss is next. I haven't checked to see if I have all the secret areas of the map done but I highly highly doubt I have. 

Starting to hate Susie now. I've two quests left to do for her and it looks like that'll involve grinding things out in order to get the last few ingredients I need. It's the weakest set of quests as it's the most grindy by far. Maybe I'll change my mind if the two battles I have to do in order to complete the Lindsay questline are horrible altogether. 

Reveal hidden contents

Does the 8-bit nightmare count towards map completion? 

I think finding those rooms is required but you don't actually need to complete them.

Your post has reminded me that I need to go back and finish the game. I died at the final boss and thought I'd try doing done of the side missions but they are so horribly grindy that I put the game down.

This game was excellent indeed but this kind of shit feels like unnecessary padding that could have been cut right down without affecting the game at all. Meh.

I think The World Ends With You handled grinding for items perfectly as it exposed all the information and tools you needed in order to improve your chances of getting an item to drop. This doesn't seem to have anything like that which is a pain in the arse. A fiend heart has a 2.00% drop rate and thats it. Improving my luck rating might help with that but I don't know by how much. 

If you dont mind checking what you need to kill to get the luck shard, then its relatively quick and painless to grind up the Luck stat.

After you've done that, most stuff will drop within a minute or two of repeated killing the enemy.

I did the grind to complete the item trophy, I filled in the gaps in my inventory archive within 2-3 hours I think.   A bit of hassle with guides and a spreadsheet kinda kills enjoyment tbh.  But by the endgame you really can tear around the castle at a great pace

I've levelled up the luck shard and I still had to kill 50+ Haagentis in order to get the flying beef to complete the Susie questline. 

I'm sure increased luck helps but the game doesn't tell you by how much. It would have been nice if you could look at a monsters stats and see the both the original drop rate for an item and a current drop rate based on what you equipped. 

I beat the second to last boss and then decided to finish off the townspeople's quests before taking on the last boss. I think I'm now ridiculously overpowered for that boss fight as I've gained about 14 levels since then grinding out items. On top of that I realised that maxing out a passive shard makes it into a skill shard so I've gone from having one passive active at any point to having around a dozen. My current plan is to unlock the last whip and do the optional O.D. fight before finally trying the last boss. It'll probably by the easiest boss in the game at that point. :lol: