Goose

Ready Player One - Spielberg now on board to direct

I went in to see this last night with my daughter in 4Dx and I make no apology for saying that I loved it. Really good fun and it felt like the references were bang on for my age (40). Reminded me in a modern update of the Goonies. Despite it being obviously a film of this era I felt it had the heart of an 80's adventure, the type I grew up with and doesn't really get made anymore. For full disclosure I thought the book was mindless fun as well ;)

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

On 31/03/2018 at 21:09, Goose said:

Looks like the references aren't that important - heading for a big opening weekend in China.

It's passed $500m, $200m of that from China. $120m from the US, for comparison.

13 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

I went in to see this last night with my daughter in 4Dx and I make no apology for saying that I loved it. Really good fun and it felt like the references were bang on for my age (40). Reminded me in a modern update of the Goonies. Despite it being obviously a film of this era I felt it had the heart of an 80's adventure, the type I grew up with and doesn't really get made anymore. For full disclosure I thought the book was mindless fun as well ;)

I think this is a damning indictment of the human condition. Go and watch this and the goonies back to back and the differences in human connection will literally scream at you

• Upvote 6

Just watched this,  I think its the worst blockbuster movie I've ever seen. Not Spielberg's fault as the source material is probably the worst book ever written but fucking hell its insanely bad

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

It’s totally speilberg’s fault. The source material is bubblegum but had a lot of potential with the right director attached. Speilberg’s take was utterly banal and lacklustre.

The score illustrates his lack of connection to the story... as it’s like meant for some grandiose period war drama.

i adore his past work but speilberg’s should retire from this kind of movie. It’s a massive missed opportunity imo, as under the right direction this could have been something really special..

• Upvote 2

On 09/05/2018 at 15:17, Dark Soldier said:

Just watched this,  I think its the worst blockbuster movie I've ever seen. Not Spielberg's fault as the source material is probably the worst book ever written but fucking hell its insanely bad

Never seen a Transformers film?

• Upvote 6

ive just watched this recently...

i enjoyed the book alot! is it a work of great fiction, is it fuck! is it an enjoyable romp down nostaligia avenue! fuck yeah! i loved the book!

this movie though.,..what...the ...actual...fuck!?!?!

it really didnt seam to "get" the book!? ..and i think that was down to Spielberg! and somebody mentioned the score...this clearly should have followed the turbo kid formula!

• Upvote 1

You can feel the gears of Spielberg’s once great formula, creaking along like they are about to give up for good. His hearts just not in it and he seems completely bored with the premise. Poor guy just wanted another blockbuster hit, it’s not like anyone in Hollywood is going to turn down Spielberg. That’s the golden ticket.

Such a shame as this could have been a really fun and intersting film in the right hands.

• Upvote 1

Just watched it and thought it was fine and enjoyable in places but ultimatly a bit of a let down. They did a good job with going to and from the Oasis and the real world though I thought. Not convinced by Tye Sheridan and think Speilberg absolutely bottled it with Samantha too by having a conventionally attractive girl play her. The message at the end about things being good in the real world is great if the avatar you fell in love with turns out to be good looking too. Result.

I had zero problem with the references though and actually enjoyed spotting them. Lets face it, if this thing was real, you know for a fact there would be running around as Masterchief, Goro, Deadpool etc so I found that fun. Much better than everyone just being some random made up avatar.

Just saw this. First half was enjoyable enough, then it just descends into a who-cares-CGI-shitfest.

The lead kids and villain are dull, Rylance and Pegg are cringe-bad.

5/10

(1 of which is for the Serenity appearance).

• Upvote 1

On 29/05/2018 at 07:50, Dirty Harry Potter said:

You can feel the gears of Spielberg’s once great formula, creaking along like they are about to give up for good. His hearts just not in it and he seems completely bored with the premise. Poor guy just wanted another blockbuster hit, it’s not like anyone in Hollywood is going to turn down Spielberg. That’s the golden ticket.

Such a shame as this could have been a really fun and intersting film in the right hands.

The worst of it is he changed the whole spirit of the book to just mock the people it was written for

Just watched this on a plane. Mind blown. 

The absolute insanity of the world that we live in - a world in which this movie exists in an America ruled by an orange plonker - never ceases to amaze me. 

• Empathy 1

Okay I watched this on a plane on my iPad and I enjoyed it enough, but as it was via the virgin Australia entertainment system I can't re-see it.. but early on they make a big deal about Artemis's( Olivia Cooke)'s birth mark.

However It seemed in later scenes they've not even bothered with it (CGI or otherwise), before I get a copy to scrutinize- can anyone else confirm?

It was also kind of 'gray'.

In my mind is should have been a cross between the Wachowski's Matrix and Speed Racer films, directed by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright from 20 years ago. Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan circa 1982.

;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gommy said:

Okay I watched this on a plane on my iPad and I enjoyed it enough, but as it was via the virgin Australia entertainment system I can't re-see it.. but early on they make a big deal about Artemis's( Olivia Cooke)'s birth mark.

However It seemed in later scenes they've not even bothered with it (CGI or otherwise), before I get a copy to scrutinize- can anyone else confirm?

No its there - in fact it's purposely added to her avatar in a later scene.