Goose

Ready Player One - Spielberg now on board to direct

I quite enjoyed the book, but I can't imagine they'll get the rights to use even half of the stuff Cline used. After Bridge of Spies, Spielberg moves on to The BFG, followed by presumably, Ready Player One. That would put it at least a year away from production starting.

Official blurb -

The project first announced to be in the works almost five years ago (before the novel was even published), Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow have found a director for their planned big screen take on Ernie Cline’s Ready Player One in none other than Steven Spielberg! The three-time Academy Award winner will both direct and produce from an adapted screenplay by Zak Penn. Cline’s book, a New York Times bestseller, has been published in 40 countries and is officially described as follows:

In the near future, outcast teenager Wade Watts escapes from his bleak surroundings by logging in to the OASIS, a globally networked virtual utopia where users can lead idyllic alternate lives. When the eccentric billionaire who created the OASIS dies, he offers up his vast fortune as the prize in an elaborate treasure hunt. Along with gamers from around the world, Wade joins the adventure, and quickly finds himself pitted against powerful corporate foes and other ruthless competitors who will do anything, in the oasis or the real world, to reach the treasure first.

“We are thrilled to welcome Steven back to Warner Bros,” says Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures. “We had an historic series of collaborations in the 80s and 90s and have wanted to bring him back for years. As for READY PLAYER ONE, we have always felt that Steven was the dream director for this project.”

Spielberg’s latest Bridge of Spies, reteams him with leading Tom Hanks and is set to hit theaters this October 16. He’s also just beginning production on the Roald Dahl adaptation The BFG and is expected to begin work on Ready Player One immediately thereafter.

Donald De Line, Dan Farah and Kristie Macosko Krieger will also produce with Jesse Ehrman and Racheline Benveniste overseeing for the studio.

I reckon you could make a decent film out of it, so this might be OK, but as written, it's just a list of 80s nerd references, with some very unlikeable characters wading through them. I mean, the main guy is a teenager who says that his taste in girls is "reubenesque", something no teenager has said, or ever will say, ever.

• Upvote 1

It basically reads like this throughout.

'I jacked into virtual reality and got into the ECTO-1, from the hit film GHOSTBUSTERS. I then had a drag race with my friend who was driving the DELOREAN from BACK TO THE FUTURE, but we were interrupted by a TERMINATOR from THE TERMINATOR. All looked lost, but then I used my l33t VR skills to summon SUPER MECHAGODZILLA who stepped on the TERMINATOR. That finished we all both got in the MILLENIUM FALCON and set course for the headquarters of the generic sinister cyberpunk corporation which looked like BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.'

http://youtu.be/4WgT9gy4zQA

?

I think doing it as a film and not being able to licence 90% of the stuff would be a great benefit. There's more to the book than 80s references, and being forced to take out a lot of them from the ridiculous finale can only improve things.

God that book is terrible.

I'm listening to the audiobook at the moment, and I don't get it...

Am I supposed to like these characters? Because so far, everybody with the exception of 'H' is a complete and utter arsehole. I suppose Artemis is the only one other than 'H' who isn't a completely unlikeable tit, but I'm sure that will change soon enough. I fully expect 'H' to turn into a prat as well.

I just remembered that the guy who wrote this was one of the most cringeworthy try-hards in that Atari ET documentary. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I'm assuming that Armada somehow has even bigger twats in it?

Yes, pretty much everyone in it is unlikable, including the lead we spend 99% of the book with. If the 80s references felt a bit overdone in Ready Player One, he piles them on with a shovel in Armada. The book does practically nothing for 9 (or so) chapters, then crams in so much exposition in the next two that your head starts to hurt. It picks up towards the end but by that point I just wanted to finish it.

And this is from someone who did enjoy Ready Player One.

If it's like the book then it'll basically be 90 minutes of whoever they cast shouting 'Hey remember that thing from the 80s?' At the audience.

I read it earlier in the week and it's ok as filler, certainly readable but with minimal actual character development.

I'm not sure that a long section talking about the merits or otherwise of particular joust strategies will make for interesting cinema,

I recognise that building in the last image, is that by the city University?

They were in Digbeth a couple of weeks ago, right across from where I worked. I guess it's kind of dystopia-looking over there.

They were shooting today and I had 20 minutes between trains so I nipped down to have a nose: 

They were preparing for a take but I had to leave before it started. The woman in the second video had to kick the door open and aim her gun directly into a camera chasing her car but the door was too difficult to open so they spent a bit of time messing with the bolts on the hinge. 

image.jpeg

You can kinda see the street the chase is taking place on there. It's been doused with water from a fire engine and all the English street signs have been replaced with American ones. 

• Upvote 3

I've just started reading this having picked it up on a whim with some stuff I wanted from Amazon US (in. 80 from the 80's, @Goose). I'm about 100 pages in and it is a bit of a cringefest, but must admit I've found myself thinking it might make a half-decent popcorn flick – and who knew, Spielberg had the same idea, albeit perhaps foisted on him!

It can't be worse than that Adam Sandler turd, surely?

• Upvote 2

I've just finished reading this, having bought it a couple of years ago and never getting round to starting it. I think it's perfectly suited to being a holiday travel kind of book, but is definitely comparable to Peter Kay stand-up, someone remembering things out loud and explaining them to you even though you already know what they are.

If you removed the pop/geek culture references there's not a lot of story, plus things happening for no reason other than to get the plot moving.

Spoiler

The whole "Og turns up to help out and sort of save the day" at the end is pretty lazy.

Also the bit where Wade becomes an elite hacker/secret agent combo and infiltrates IOI just comes out of nowhere and doesn't really suit his character.

The ending is a complete anti-climax with no peril whatsoever - the main bad guy doesn't really come into it again after the Mechagodzilla battle (other than being mentioned as being 10 minutes behind Wade). I can imagine that whole scene will be re-written as a 1 on 1 battle in the film or else it's just someone playing a game and acting out a film from 30+ years ago on their own (with voiceover from others).

Actually, instead of watching this film when it comes out, maybe just watch Wargames or The Holy grail whilst playing Tempest/Joust on an emulator and you're pretty much done.

I really enjoyed watching them film this in Birmingham. First time I've ever seen a film being made, so I'll definitely be watching hoping to recognise some of the scenes!