Elseb

The Sega Dreamcast appreciation thread

I couldn't find a Dreamcast thread, if there is, feel free to link me to it and close this.

I just want to hear some memories and stories from your time playing the Dreamcast! Does anybody still play theirs regularly? :)

Yep I got one for my birthday a few month back.

I remember wanting a Saturn and phoned an import place enquring.

They pursaded me to buy a Dreamcast instead with Sonic and Sega Rally, I even paid for next day saturday delivery.

£550 it cost me including the step down, it had only just been released in Japan.

I absolutely loved the machine! I remember putting my alarm on to wake me up in the hope I would get to the door before my parents.

I didn't want them to know I'd bought it as they didn't know I had a credit card. I'd just turned 18.

I played the machine to death and bought a few other import games over the next few months.

When it was released in the UK I bought another one to save on importing games. I did like some of the earlier unpolished titles like Speed Devils and Toy Commander.

Anyway back to present day. At the minute I'm playing a bit of Virtua Tennis and Mars Matrix.

• Upvote 1

Simply the console with the greatest quantity of brilliant games on it. Which also means it wins the quality:quantity award more or less by default, too.

I've only got a portion of my Dreamcast games (or at least their cases) with me, as pictured, but it remains not only a wonderful machine, but one which holds up brilliantly on revisits.

post-409-0-76283900-1423705144_thumb.jpg

I've in the past year introduced workmates who never played the DC at the time to the glories of Power Stone, Jet Set Radio, Ikaruga, Shenmue, Street Fighter III and Soul Calibur, all received with great pleasure. Oh, and drunken Tech Romancer remainis a great way to spend an evening ;) I've also recently reacquainted myself to the pleasures of Toy Commander, Wacky Races and Headhunter, all of which hold up far better than I'd expected.

And then there's all the other classics on the system, including Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennis, Metropolist Street Racer, Phantasy Star Online (sniff), ChuChu Rocket, The House of the Dead 2, Puyo Pop Fever, Rez, The Last Blade 2, Skies of Arcadia... it was just an incredible system, and forms an essential part of any decent gaming collection.

• Upvote 4

Mother fuckin power stone! I saved up for ages for a Dreamcast as a school boy. Finally bought one with Power Stone, what an awesome game that was and still is. There hasn't been a console which was giving us so many new original and imaginative games; Shenmue, jet set radio!!!!! Space channel 5, cosmic smash, rez, skies if arcadia, etc etc. Best console ever. Gaming hasn't been the same since the Dreamcast and Sega left the building.

Died waaaaaay too early and all those awesome games that were ported elsewhere but was destined for the Dreamcast originally; super monkey ball, jet set radio future, panzer dragoon orta etc. The Dreamcast could have been even more amazing

• Upvote 2

I liked the Dreamcast. I lost many an hour to Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2, had my first ever online multiplayer experiences with Starlancer, Quake 3 and PSO and had bags of fun with all the superb arcade conversions. I've still got one, although it's been out on long term loan with my SNES for the past half a dozen years. Now I'm starting to build a retro collection again I really should get those back. It had such a broad depth to its library. It first arrived at a strange time for me, while I was at university, so while I was broadly more interested in booze and girls, we did have a lot of fun playing drunken Soul Caliber and Power Stone tournaments too. It was only really after I left uni and split up with my then fiancee that I had the time to look into the more involved games like Shenmue, the JRPGs above and Record of Lodoss War. I quite enjoyed a few of the more out-there games too. Maken X immediately springs to mind.

I never really consider the DC when I reply to "favourite game" or "favourite console" questions, but sitting thinking about it now, I really should. I honestly don't know why that is. It's a superb machine.

• Upvote 2

Ikaruga. Clocked 60+ hours on this ridiculously anticipated game, the result of which was a fairly consistent 23-24m point score. The utopia boot disc could only launch the game at 50hz though, so I didn't go swinging my balls around too much - a screenshot would've revealed the slo-mo 'advantage' I was forced into but having. I think this was the last time I played a game so intensely.

I remember being disappointed that the PAL Game Cube version had a frame go regularly skipping. I thought it was unforgivable to compromise the running of the game for the sake of a consistent worldwide ranking league table. They should have just had separate 50 and 60hz tables, implied that higher scores on the slow Euro baby beginner tables were there because they're on the pussy baby tables in the first place, left the smoothness-gimping out of the equation and continued the almost standard Dream Cast convention of offering 50/60hz modes for PAL territory titles in the first place.

Crazy Taxi. I loved this game, and I loved taking turns with and watching my brother play it too because he was amazing at it. Some of the shit he could pull off - perfectly executed acrobatics that seemed to test the environments to their breaking points whilst winning proportionally ridiculous tips from the passengers half-hanging out the vehicle- never got dull. Playing with the music down and sfx right up seemed to encourage it all to be crazier still. Crazy Taxi doesn't get the props it deserves for the depth of mastery it can offer, and its a shame to think that gold of this nature kind of died with the arcades.

Other DC games I instantly think of are Power Stone (both of them), Zero Gunner 2, Bangai-O, Capcom Vs SNK 2 and GTA 2. I think there's a fair bit of underated goodness just there and also subscribe to the theory that the DC joined the PC Engine with having an insane all round quality:quantity ratio in its catalogue.

• Upvote 2

Managed to end up working at Glastonbury 2000, was on the site in a portacabin for 17 days, my roommate was bringing a TV along so before we departed I grabbed my DC and souls calibur.

Many a night was had playing that with most of our team being crammed in to one tiny room, great little machine :)

Great system, still play it from time to time but I don't think it's aged that well compared to the Saturn in part due to most of the Dreamcast games library now available on other formats. Was in the final year of 6th form when it came out those where good days. Games like Skies of Arcadia & Street Fighter III 3rd Strike were a joy to play.

My brother wasn't that happy when they cancelled it, he had only just got one in Christmas 2000.

Uploaded quite a few Dreamcast video to our youtube channel if anyone wants a look

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDlJIwLXFu45GKLc6PzlgOA

Won't post direct video links here as I've alread done that in the youtube thread.

I was lucky enough to win a Dreamcast in the raffle at a retro event, just the console but I bought a couple of games from Console Passion straight away.

Classics like Jet Set Radio and Soul Calibur are still fun to play. DC versions of multi format games hold up favourably (e.g Tony Hawk).

But my favourite DC title of all time has to be Typing of the Dead. A truly bizarre idea but so much fun.

I bought one immediately after playing Phantasy Star Online at a friends house. Totally blew me away. Plus there were tons of other great games and interesting curios, some of which I enjoyed at the time, others I have come to appreciate over the years. Soul Calibur, Powerstone, MSR, Rez, Cosmic Smash, Space Channel 5, Ikaruga, Jet Set Radio, Marvel VS Capcom 2, Street Fighter III Third Strike, Under Defeat, Typing of the Dead, Zombie Revenge, Psyvariar 2. The last great Japanese centric console. 60hz standard. Online leader boards. VGA output.

Terrible control pads though.

Also, that annoying resetting fault and the incredibly noisy fan.

I played on one when they were still a thing - I seem to remember Virtua Tennis eating up a bunch of spare time - then after the console disappeared from shelves I picked up another one a few years later for about £20, proceeded to buy a bunch of cheap games, then eventually ditched it during a clearout. I don't have the same amount of love for the console as most (like every platform, for every gem on the system there was some licensed trash or ropey shooter that no-one remembers, and there was always loads of garbage in the bargain bins) and the better games were near-impossible to find in Europe, but it still had some decent shooters and ports of beat 'em ups (some of which are also available on newer systems - 3rd Strike, Ikaruga, etc.)

I remember when I had my £20 DC I saw Shenmue in one store and very nearly picked it up, but thought it would just eat up loads of my spare time. Consequently, my exposure to the series is still limited to about 15 minutes of Xbox Shenmue 2 before my 360 RRoD'd. :hmm:

Similar to acidbearboy, it was a need to own PSO that led me to the Dreamcast. A mate had got one for Christmas the year it launched and I got to play on it regularly. I absolutely adored Crazy Taxi and got pretty good at it too. But PSO was the final straw, I needed that game but I'm sure my Mum wished I had never bought it thanks to the phone bills I ran up and late nights...

I still have a Dreamcast hooked up now, its a PAL system in an NTSC-J case after the laser on the latter packed in.

The Dreamcast was pish...

Haha, only kidding!

I was one of those guys who abused the fact that it played ripped games with zero hardware modifications. I remember getting 512Kbps broadband installed and downloading anything that was on alt.binaries.dreamcast . Ended up with almost every DC game (missed out on Seaman).

I did still buy the occasional game - SEGA Rally 2, Daytona, Shenmue, Headhunter, Power Stone 2.

Fast forward by 15 years and I've got back into the DC again. Except I've narrowed down the collection to just the games I like (probably about 50 in total) and replacing the copies with official discs. You can get some good bargains even on eBay. A fiver a game. Nice.

Plus, it still looks stunning through the VGA box.

There are some really good fan discs "out there" - Dead or Alive 2 with every version available on a single disc.

Overall, I've got some great multiplayer memories. Spending hours playing DOA2 and Soul Calibur tournaments with my mates.

Jesus, Sega Rally 2 was immense. I dismissed it when I got around to picking it up but there was an attraction to a certain play style in the game seen through the eyes of other players that I got completely hooked on time trailing and getting onto the Japanese scoreboards for the game. I got onto the first page of scores, top 25 IIRC, but there were some amazing players out there. Utterly brilliant game where I'd loop maybe 100 times a night to get .01 seconds off a time (which was such a buzz). I stopped playing it when Ikaruga came out as a few of the players moved over to that, but I'm utterly rubbish at shooters :P

Daytona was the reason I got the console. Finally, it seemed like there was an (almost) perfect home version of the game. The Saturn version is great, but here we had something that was slick and fast, bright and colourful. I could forgive the silly little changes for the extra additions to the game running on a VGA monitor with a (pretty good!) steering wheel.

Skies of Arcadia is the kind of thing that reminds me why gaming is so great. Only the DC could render that in its utterly amazing colour palette and the detail in everything was truly excellent. I think there's a point early on where the character's 'power-up' an island and all the veins in the rock and architecture light up and animate in really super-crisp detail. It's the kind of thing that wasn't surpassed until HD became almost standard (like, 720p at least).

A few other firsts for me were that I think this was the first console I bought several of - my partner at the time got utterly hooked on Phantasy Star Online, so it had to be done. We both used to play on our own DCs. I think this was the first console I took to customising too - the components were all off the shelf things and the case was resprayed and easily modified with a Dremel (yeah, sorry about that). I also rewired the power board connector on one of them to fix the stupid reset problem (although long dead, I put the wrong voltage through it one day... oops!).

I still have... maybe six? of them floating around. I think I might need to find out this weekend :wub:

edit: Yep, six... including the attached.

post-2171-0-17858200-1423859214_thumb.jp

• Upvote 5

Simply the console with the greatest quantity of brilliant games on it. Which also means it wins the quality:quantity award more or less by default, too.

I'm not sure you're right on your first point - if you listed all the really good games on DC, PS2 and Xbox (they're all the same gen, right?), there would be a lot more on the PS2 and Xbox lists. However, I think your second point is why the DC is so fondly remembered - the ratio of good games to crap ones is amazing. There just isn't the volume of shovelware there is on other consoles. Granted, it would be easy to say that's down to a lack of popularity (I personally think it's the other way around - I'm firmly of the opinion that shovelware sells consoles). But whatever the reason, the amount of fantastic games makes it a stone cold classic.

It's like "in the army" Elvis didn't get the chance to become "fat, in a white jumpsuit and forgetting the words" Elvis.

I'd quite happily own one just for Metropolis Street Racer, let alone the other quality titles like Virtua Tennis, Powerstone, Crazy Taxi, SFIII and so on...

Started playing Zombie Revenge at 8AM this morning, just finished. What an incredibly fun game! Its pretty basic being an arcade port but it plays so well on the Dreamcast. Ill be playing it again tonight!

Well worth a go if you haven't played it.

Is there any kind of reliable Everdrive type affair for the DC? I live in fear of the CD drive dying or the like, so wouldn't mind something that would generally put less strain on the system.

Plus, there are a few games I'll never buy "out there"...

Unfortunately that won't run every Dreamcast game without issue - as it's a software solution on a disc interpreting an SD converter through the serial port, games which rely on streaming data from the disc often struggle with the reduced speed.

What you really need is one of these lovely things, but the guy making them does so as a hobby, so it's a case of putting yourself on a mailing list (and it requires a modicum of installation, but it's nothing more than unscrewing the GD-ROM and screwing the SD mount in its place, no soldering required unless you want to add external buttons to page through the SD card more easily).

Great story wools.

Anybody know if the dc-xploder or utopia boot disc will allow US & JP imports to play on a standard PAL console?

Was Utopia the one with a spinning moose on the launch screen? If so, then yes. I used it for my special edition Japanese Sonic Adventure 2.