VN1X

Giant Bomb Fan Club

1 minute ago, Naysonymous said:

Just count the number of times he talks about himself in the show and see if it breaks a new record. 

Well he's a guest. Why would he not, especially if they ask hi questions about what he's up to. Also, it can't be worse than last week. With Jeff away, listening to Ben drone on about DOTA2 for an eternity was pure horror.

Although Vinny was away last week, enjoyed Jeff B hosting. Be great if he got involved with a few more quick looks, but guess with CNET paying his salary, he has to limit the time he spends with GB, and the podcast benefits from his presence the most.

On 04/05/2018 at 16:40, deerokus said:

As for Drew, Cloth Map has been quite disappointing. As far as I can tell, a lot of his backers didn't get what they felt they were sold. Instead of regular documentaries about video game scenes around the world they got... the Eurovision Song Contest. And then nothing for ages. Hopefully he is back on track now.

DO'D seems to work extremely hard to put out material at a rapid clip, which is what is required for a Patreon like this I feel. 

All true, although I've bolded the area that frustrated me about that early reception. Scanlon never posited it as a documentary series about video games scenes, more exploring international attitudes and approaches to games and play. Eurovision is entirely within that wheelhouse, and it's a shame that, after making their incorrect assumptions, the GB audience couldn't see past them.

In a more upbeat note, I'm absolutely loving Jan on the west coast. The Summer School stream was such a convincing demonstration of his talent and charisma (and Ben's Lens is basically a video series about how cool Jan is, ). Tbh, especially with Ben batting first. The tone of the stream lifted so much when Jan took control.

Edit: Also, how have I missed the absolute wonder that is Johnny Vignocchi. A truly beautiful man.

• Upvote 1

Just checked their reaction to the DMC5 reveal and Jeff just can't help himself can he? Getting into a back-and-forth with Dan about the attitude of the new game compared to the older ones, saying that they didn't have the same 'tude' in the past. What a dumb fuck that man is. :lol:

• Downvote 5

Jeff saying that he thought Skyrim Very Special Edition was a real thing "because games on Alexa are starting to become a thing". 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

During the Fallout 76 building segment "but what happens if you build something somewhere and then another player builds there and then this and that and what?" 

QWDnVEk.gif

Have you heard of Rust?! GEE I WONDER HOW THEY SOLVED THAT PROBLEM!

This is why I can't watch GB any more... it's so frustrating to watch a bunch of dudes talk over a conference that seemingly have no idea how videogames work. Or rather, continuously prove that they've all regressed into their own little bubbles and haven't the slightest idea as to what's going on in the industry these days. 

• Downvote 2

You seem to be spending a lot of time watching it just so you can tell us why you don't watch it. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Jeff saying that he thought Skyrim Very Special Edition was a real thing "because games on Alexa are starting to become a thing". 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Just now, bear said:

You seem to be spending a lot of time watching it just so you can tell us why you don't watch it. 

This thread has been 159 pages of whining so I'm sure you can find it in your heart to allow me one last whinge as well. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Pixelbark said:

Ah consider me told! :D

Good on them for actually releasing that and apologies to Dr. Jeff Gerstmann. Why did I ever doubt him. 

3 minutes ago, VN1X said:

This thread has been 159 pages of whining so I'm sure you can find it in your heart to allow me one last whinge as well. 

I don't understand watching/reading/listening to something you don't like just so you can tell people why you don't like it. For instance, there's people who listen to Jim Corenttes podcasts every week seemingly for the sole reason of finding a clip to be annoyed by and it seems like bonkers behaviour to me. 

I think Greg Miller is a horses ass but I just ignore whatever videos his company puts out. It takes a lot less effort than watching them and then reporting back with what annoyed me this time. 

Just now, bear said:

I don't understand watching/reading/listening to something you don't like just so you can tell people why you don't like it. For instance, there's people who listen to Jim Corenttes podcasts every week seemingly for the sole reason of finding a clip to be annoyed by and it seems like bonkers behaviour to me. 

Not sure if serious. Have you not read this thread at all? It's less of a fan club and more of a "which-crew-member-do-you-dislike-the-most-this-week?"-hate affair. There's the odd post of someone enjoying GBEAST's output but other than that it's been non-stop bickering.

Anyway I've already unsubbed ages ago as the quality of their output has dwindled tremendously. I wish Ben and Abby would fuck off and have the rest go back to one location. Also rehire Drew.

• Downvote 3

Why isn't Abby and/or Jan on the talking over conference streams? Do they actually need three video producers behind the scenes for these things? 

22 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

Hmm. Seems like they could fit one or two more of the staff on those tables to talk over the conferences.

I would have liked them to rotate the others in or something. Or as a joke give them the Devolver stream. 

Dan wasn't alone in saying idiotic things in that stream to be fair to the man. Alex and someone else (Brad?) were very certain that the Ancient Greece-set Odyssey is around the same time as the end of Roman Republic-set Origins. And that Alexander the Great and Cleopatra were a couple. And that Greece doesn't/didn't have bears?!