Rudi von Starnberg

Life is Strange - Season 1 & Before the Storm

Lego Avengers is £55 for the PS4 too instore. And that's the standard edition, not the one with the minifigure.

And new copies of Assassin's Creed Unity were £20. Or, second hand, £30.

Game are fucking shit.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't decide which to pre-order, I thought I would go back and cancel one when I had decided...too late!.

IMG_20160125_100046675_zps6errirzv.jpg

For the money it's great, the PC version was about 5 quid cheaper so will probably keep that sealed and I have finished it digitally already. The picture book is ok but it would have been nice if it could have had a few more pages to it.

IMG_20160125_100534271_zpsby3l9iea.jpg

IMG_20160125_100633670_zps0wsdsxpv.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lego Avengers is £55 for the PS4 too instore. And that's the standard edition, not the one with the minifigure.

And new copies of Assassin's Creed Unity were £20. Or, second hand, £30.

Game are fucking shit.

LIS is £24.99 in store at Argos

I'm upto ep4, probably half way through it. I must say so far, I've loved it.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they turn the game into a TV series or film at some point.

I did however think it's similar to "The girl who leapt through time" but that was a great film anyway.

Hopefully i'lll finish it off by the end of the weekend.

Finished this last night.  Overall I really really enjoyed it and I felt it handled choice better than the TellTale games.  Not sure what to think of the ending though, seeing as how spoilers currently aren't working here I won't post my thoughts on it.  

I am excited to see what they do with season 2.

Im surprised on how they would do a sequel? don't get me wrong - i'd play it but it's just going to be a retread with a different set of characters/story surely?

In any case, i finished ep5 tonight.

I think it peaked in episode 3 to be honest. I thought ep5 was much more on rails and the endings where both a little dissapointing

( i sacrificed cloe, but i checked out the other ending on youtube).

Still, a great game that i loved playing. Just a shame that the time travel novelty didn't try anything else as it wasn't as interesting as it was earlier in the game.

Very late to the party to finish the last episode, so I decided to play it from the start just to take it all in again. 

Astonishing, simply astonishing. I know the ending may have left some unsatisfied but I was really happy with the way it all wrapped up and how effortlessly deals with issues of accepting life and all it entails. It blew me away.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's a very divisive ending (for a few reasons), but it really resonated with me too. Don't forget to update your GOTY list if you haven't already!

Just briefly to say that I completed this during the weekend and I thought it was just brilliant, nothing like the sort of game I would ordinarily play but this moved me like no other videogame.   

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

Very late to the party to finish the last episode, so I decided to play it from the start just to take it all in again. 

Astonishing, simply astonishing. I know the ending may have left some unsatisfied but I was really happy with the way it all wrapped up and how effortlessly deals with issues of accepting life and all it entails. It blew me away.

I  finished it right before SFV came out and didn't get around to posting in this thread. Mostly because I couldn't find the right words and this game deserves more than a simple "I liked it!" post. My thoughts were basically the same as those of Talk Show Host above...

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, it's a very divisive ending (for a few reasons), but it really resonated with me too. Don't forget to update your GOTY list if you haven't already!

... and I need to move Life is Strange a lot closer to the top in my GotY list. Thanks for the recommendation Wiper, it was a sublime gaming experience.

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Oh, it now sits comfortably at number 2. :wub:

I will also check out "Remember Me" since it was on my list when it came out (I'm a sucker for future cyber stuff ;P) but never got around to it. I've seen very good comments about the story and lukewarm reactions to the gameplay, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I am very excited about what dontnod will do after. It seems they possess some great talent in character building and writing.

The ending sucks, but everything about the story, characterisation and the setting before the last part is wonderful in Remember Me. So much so that I remember saying in the review back then that I hoped Dontnod would make a story driven game next. But they outdid themselves with Life is Strange, the characters and the script are on a different level compared to even the best bits in Remember Me.

• Upvote 1

I really didn't think this was worth all the accolades it was given. I enjoyed it, but the dialogue was terrible in places and the final chapter undid most of the good work that had gone before. I don't know whether this place had built it up a little bit too much but I found myself glad when it was all over. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I really didn't think this was worth all the accolades it was given. I enjoyed it, but the dialogue was terrible in places and the final chapter undid most of the good work that had gone before. I don't know whether this place had built it up a little bit too much but I found myself glad when it was all over. 

This was exactly me too. I played the whole thing in one sitting, one whole day ploughing through the whole thing and I felt that it would of worked much better as a TV series with 2/3rds of the inane, plodding dialog removed. I felt like there were hours of this where I was completely bored stiff, then the pace picked up and some interesting and dramatic decisions came my way, elevating the whole experience. Of course, it wouldn't work as a TV series, as the interactive element such as the big decisions is what makes the entire thing work. 

The sections where the game decides it needs to give you something to do to vary things up are all really rudimentary and sometimes downright crap.

such as collecting the parts for the Door bomb or finding the 5 bottles in the junk yard

I looked at it fondly enough after playing it to rank it low on my GOTY list, but that's because I've only really played around 20 games this year. After letting the whole thing settle after a while, I find myself liking the whole experience less. 

Maybe this isn't my kinda thing? dunno, I prefer more "gamey" game but on the other hand I absolutely loved the first Telltale's Walking Dead game. To me, that game does everything better.   

• Upvote 1

Whereas I got bored of The Walking Dead after the first two episodes and never went back - the fake choices grated too much for me to find it a satisfying experience. I never found the dialogue in Life is Strange to be 'plodding'. Inane? Yes, frequently, but that's kind of the point of teenage dramas, reflective as they ought to be of the general inanity of teenagers' lives and interests.

The long and the short of Life is Strange is that it's really good interactive young adult fiction with a mystery and time-bending twist. If you don't tend to click with YA fiction in the first place, then it probably doesn't hold much for you.

(incidentally, I played it in two goes - episode one when it came out, the rest when the game was finished - and obviously loved it. If I'd played it episodically I'd have drifted off and never finished it, as is my custom)

I played it over a few days. Pretty much a chapter a night.

I never found the dialogue plodding, just terrible. None of it sounded remotely believable coming from a bunch along teenagers. And each character was pretty stereotypical. While I appreciate how much choice there was in the game, it all came undone in the final chapter which left a sour taste at what the whole point was. 

I dunno. I didn't hate it: I just felt a whole load of nothing towards it and was glad when it was done.

I played it over a few days. Pretty much a chapter a night.

I never found the dialogue plodding, just terrible. None of it sounded remotely believable coming from a bunch along teenagers. And each character was pretty stereotypical. While I appreciate how much choice there was in the game, it all came undone in the final chapter which left a sour taste at what the whole point was. 

I dunno. I didn't hate it: I just felt a whole load of nothing towards it and was glad when it was done.

I'll do a more proper post about the dialogue when I am back from work, but being disappointed of how some of your choices were unmade, I would say, is kinda missing the point of the entire thing by a landslide. The game is about letting you choose, showing you the results and consequences and then making you realize that it's not about changing but accepting, a struggle that teenage life faces almost daily. The entire time travel thing is a metaphor, which is why it's never dealt with by using any kind of scientific or fantastical approach.