VN1X

Warframe - Ninjas Grind Free

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I played this a little while back - probably only for about 10 hours or so - but that felt long enough. The gunplay was solid and all, but I found the movement a bit too skiddy and the missions all too dull. The story missions were a bit better, but it never really felt any different from the first moment I played it up until my last. It also doesn't help that there is absolutely no explanation of anything and all I could see was insane amounts of grinding of the same missions in order to, well, I'm not really sure.

What is the endgame, exactly?

They deleted it earlier this year - no, literally. The 'raids' (they weren't called raids by the devs but were by the community) - 8-person affairs - were removed from the game because after two or three years they still weren't working properly, were buggy as hell, and DE decided they were more trouble than they were worth. Much to the chagrin of the endgame community (it's a much-repeated myth that DE always gives the players what they want: their forums went mental for a couple of months or so after that). They reckon they might be added back in once 'improved', but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Instead they put a lot of resources into the new open world stuff - first the Plains of Eidolon, and coming soon, Venus. I'm not sure this is the right direction, as Eidolon at least was just doing the same 5 patrol-type missions over and over again but against harder enemies, and constant, incessant travelling to get from waypoint to waypoint, and endless mining and fishing to make yet another layer of consumables to fuel yet another grind. It all felt really menial.

With the exception of the Eidolons themselves. They're good fun - three large beasts, starting with the Teralyst, which you have to (well, don't have to but probably should) group up in order to take down. DE put some of the stuff you used to get as drops from the 'raids' into rewards for downing these things. I imagine they'll put similar kinds of big targets in the new open world area. I don't think the Plains as a whole really worked though - it felt like a poor man's MMO grind playing around in there after the first flush of novelty passed. Generally I think their tighter, smaller, more focussed content (especially the endless mission types) works better.

I've no idea what the raids were like as I never got to play them (no matchmaking there), but the Eidolons themselves were fun to gear up to kill, and to get the first few drops from. Unfortunately that becomes a bit of a grind as well, and it's not very mechanically complex or taxing in terms of combat once you've geared up properly - there's virtually nil teamwork required, to the extent that I ended up being able to solo the Terlayst easily, and then the shine wore off altogether. So after you've done it a few or a lot of times, that's basically it.

I think Warframe works best as a small-scale, occasional shooter where you can pop on to grind some relics from endless wave missions and maybe get enough together for a new frame or weapon every now and then. DE just keep releasing new ones so people will grind for them and/or buy them. It doesn't really go anywhere other than that, save for the occasional release of a cinematic quest, which actually tells a bit of a story. It's that kind of episodic thing. But it never really goes anywhere in the sense of feeling you've achieved something great or hit 'endgame' or whatever. It's like the grindiest bits of MMOs but without the requirement to team up to tackle complex, endgame content. That and the focus on acquiring an endless stream of new, revamped or removed then rereleased gear seems to be DE's approach to making it an ongoing success, and it obviously works. So depending on how much you love the idea of grind and upgrades to no concrete end, you're either going to love it (for not pushing you into that sort of team-based endgame requirement), or hate it for going nowhere in particular. 

I really enjoyed most of the several months I spent playing it, and if you like crafting and optimising builds it can be great fun, especially if (despite the lack of requirement to do it) you get into an actual team to rinse through some of the more repetitive content. You can have a lot of fun with the way the different frames and builds synergise if you communicate properly - but it also makes the supposedly toughest content an absolute doddle. So in the end it quite quickly runs out of challenge, and steam, and people kind of drift away. (There are also issues around design, such as the stupid armour scaling on high end enemies which makes all but a couple of weapon builds (corrosive and viral) generally not that viable, which in turn means ultimately the very flexible and deep mod system runs out of steam too - which is a shame, as it's a great mod system.) 

I suppose that's like many games, but I don't think it really fits well with the open world stuff they seem to be moving towards - no-one likes empty, meaningless expanses and backbreaking grinds for materials that build stuff that's of extremely limited use, if any use at all (have we any Zaw masters in the house? Thought not). So I'm not sure this is the right direction for them to be taking, but I'll be tuning back in for the Venus stuff to see if they've cracked it this time.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Fallows said:

What's the depth of the game play like? It looks a lot like Vanquish. Are there tons of tricks and stuff?

I've played about 110-120 hours, and I am making slow progress through the main storyline. Woeful actually.

From my experience the minute-to-minute gameplay in most cases is a slick, fast-moving, skillful, third person "space ninja" affair. It does require skill and knowledge to do well, but you can limp through being "bad" at it. It has been unusual for me to fail missions and have to repeat them, but it does happen sometimes. Difficulty is about right but maybe on the easy side of alright.

The level-1 meta has a lot to it. This is where you choose your warframe, choose your loadout, equip your mods to enhance and "build" the frame and equipment to behave according to your desired playstyle. I am still very n00b at this even having played over 100 hours. I think I've got the hang of it though. I'm certainly at the stage of having one or two favourite frames and can build them in an efficient way.

Then there's the component/loot grind. Planning out what you need, where you need to get it from, so which missions you need to go and reply. What you could purchase from other players using Platinum you've earned in-game (or purchased). etc. So the equipment, and quest-based loot plan is another level.

Then there's the storyline and lore and probably other meta stufff which I've not had time to look at or not encountered yet.

So if what you want is a fun, pick-up, 3rd person action space ninja game. You can get that. But you will want to pay attention to the level-1 meta to get some good equipment, a frame which suits you etc. You could have a heap of fun just playing at this level.

14 hours ago, Gabe said:

Oh, I have no intention of going back to it @VN1X but I do pop into this thread every once in a while to see what's new. Must be some kind of morbid curiosity, I suppose.

Fair enough.

At the end of the day Warframe is a flawed but brilliant game. Its abstract and ambiguous systems are near impenetrable at first and the sheer amount of content available is mindboggling but once you get the hang of things you truly feel a sense of accomplishment and see the code flow like Neo does in the Matrix. Sure it can be akin to learning a new language, and I sometimes feel like I'm a stockbroker what with all the multiple tabs of information I have open in the background lol (these days I even use a text document with a to-do list to keep track of tasks and items), but once you get over that initial hurdle it's well worth the effort.

I mean it doesn't hold your hand in the slightest and by the time you get to the first cinematic bits you'll have already put in well over 70 to 100 hours (which is insane when you think about it) but it rewards your investment by actually having a worthwhile story and giving you the tools that let you act out a ridiculous power-fantasy, a glorious festival of murder, all while looking like the coolest space ninja imaginable. Furthermore every session has you progress in some manner and you never walk away thinking its been for naught. Something that isn't always the case with other games in the genre. It's also home to one of the best and most welcoming communities I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of with people always ready to help out others or support them in whatever way they can (some say the endgame of Warframe is to pass on knowledge to new players!). It's basically the digital equivalent of sitting around a campfire singing "Kum ba yah" while slaying an inordinate amount of baddies as well. It's fantastic and is how I keep sane. :P

So while it has its fair share of problems I feel like the good vastly outshines the bad. DE are constantly updating the game and while they sometimes break more than they fix (see the new UI update) they're always on top of things and, in many respects, give most AAA developers a run for their money. 

Spoiler

ALSO IT'S COMPLETELY FREE WTF! :omg:

• Upvote 1

The biggest issue I have with the game is how hard it is to get groups for most of the content. Some of it is designed around having multiple people in a fight. Like the boss I'm fighting at the moment. First two phases are fine. Keep out of his way until his weak spot opens and then open fire. The problem is the third phase when his weak spot is on his back. The fucker is always facing me. Always. I've never even seen his back. He always knows exactly where I am.

The Switch port looked pretty rough in that trailer, framerate looked to be around 20, and they weren't showing off the more recent, more ambitious areas, just corridors. I wouldn't hold out much hope for that being supported for long, although at least you're not out any money if it isn't.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

The Switch port looked pretty rough in that trailer, framerate looked to be around 20, and they weren't showing off the more recent, more ambitious areas, just corridors. I wouldn't hold out much hope for that being supported for long, although at least you're not out any money if it isn't.

The developer Panic Button has pedigree having already pulled off ports that no one even imagined were possible with Doom and Wolfenstein II so I'm pretty confident they will do a good job here too.

• Upvote 2

I went after that boss again tonight. I had a plan. I changed my frame. Changed my loadout. Equipped some utility stuff to distract him. I was going to wait for a group for a max of about 15 mins and then take him down solo if I had to.

I got a group within 2 seconds, they were already at the boss and he was down like 20 second later :)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

I went after that boss again tonight. I had a plan. I changed my frame. Changed my loadout. Equipped some utility stuff to distract him. I was going to wait for a group for a max of about 15 mins and then take him down solo if I had to.

I got a group within 2 seconds, they were already at the boss and he was down like 20 second later :)

Yeah you get lucky like that sometimes! Which boss was it?

Speaking of luck btw: praise be to RNGesus! Got so many Prime parts on the first go in the past few days that my Foundry is working 'round the clock. :D

V3izqaz.jpg

Sargarus Ruk? Or something. He uses fire. Two week spots on his front which are straightforward enough for the first two phases but the third phase moves the weak spot to his back and that's a bit trickier solo

I've got neither sadly but I have some spare plat. Outside of that fight which of the two would you say is of more general use?

Speaking of Equinox that fucker is the relay boss right after. He kept murdering every frame I tried. I looked up strats on youtube and the trick there was the melee the arse off him.

Ok... last farming session and then to sell off all my Prime parts at the Tennocon relay and immediately buy up half the shop as well.

giphy.gif

I'll probably focus on nothing but Cetus/Eidolon after that though. Get me some Amps and what not. 

19 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Ok... last farming session [...]

I'll probably focus on nothing but Cetus/Eidolon after that though. Get me some Amps and what not. 

Nope. If you're after amps and other operator gear, you haven't even started farming yet. Eidolon is the grind to end all grinds.

I do think it's funny (no offence intended) how DE are often praised for making all this stuff grindable or buyable if you don't want to grind, yet to get to that Tennocon relay and all the goodies in it - which are usually only sold in game very rarely - you had to spend the equivalent of about £16 (is it 20 Euro) for a ticket to give access rights this weekend. Otherwise you're locked out. So people have to grind the fuck out of the game to get the parts to sell, then pay DE on top of that for the rights to get access to the Tennocon relay for a weekend to buy the stuff they actually want after selling said parts.

They have a canny business model, but it's not one I'd like to see other games adopt. I reckon lots of players spend more on Warfare in a year than they do on full-priced titles with DLC that are criticised for their cost. And there's something just deflating about having to grind endlessly for the material to sell to or craft to get stuff you want, when you can just buy it with one click. Or here, where you effectively have to both grind like hell and pay some money anyway, or be locked out. I'd be more inclined to recommend the game longer-term if they cut out the purchase/hard sell of desirable (sometimes necessary) game-affecting gear, and just made it a full-price game with some paid DLC. I'd far more happily pay that. But I reckon they'll never do that as they probably make more money this way.

I was levelling my new frame and a Hek I forgot I had last night. Got jumped by a massive pack of those rep invasion fuckers. Arctic eximus's this time (Pleased it wasn't the fucking rollerball shits). I initially panic and end up at 6 health before having a fucking amazing time ducking and dodging around the bay murdering them all.

Felt so good polishing them off

• Upvote 2

They couldn't figure out who watched the Twitch stream due to server issues so decided to give away Ash Prime to anyone with a Twitch linked account who logged in in the last seven days. 

Got mine last night :)

I want to give this a go on the xbox one this time, what's a good beginner resource?

Also any tips here on which warframe and weapon load out to pick at the beginning of the game?

9 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

I want to give this a go on the xbox one this time, what's a good beginner resource?

Also any tips here on which warframe and weapon load out to pick at the beginning of the game?

Check out the "Beginners guide" in the OP! :)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Check out the "Beginners guide" in the OP! :)

Sorry i did wonder with all the new stuff if it would still be relevant and thought maybe you guys would be better for the information. 

Here's my super quick guide:

1. Choose Excalibur, a sword, and two guns

2. Kill everything up to the first boss (Venus)

3. Kill the boss repeatedly to farm Rhino

4. Build Rhino

5. Buy the blueprint for the Hek and build that

6. Shove loads of corrosive and multi shot and damage mods into the Hek

7. Kill absolutely everything on the star map with ease

8. Congrats, you're at endgame. Go back to Earth and do the Cetus quests and Eidolons. Now the real farming may begin

You can do a cinematic quest in between each planet to add story.

• Upvote 2

Point 6. Where do you get that many good shotgun mods to drop? I've got hardly any (Hek is a really good gun though)

37 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Here's my super quick guide:

1. Choose Excalibur, a sword, and two guns

2. Kill everything up to the first boss (Venus)

3. Kill the boss repeatedly to farm Rhino

4. Build Rhino

5. Buy the blueprint for the Hek and build that

6. Shove loads of corrosive and multi shot and damage mods into the Hek

7. Kill absolutely everything on the star map with ease

8. Congrats, you're at endgame. Go back to Earth and do the Cetus quests and Eidolons. Now the real farming may begin

You can do a cinematic quest in between each planet to add story.

Yeah so turns out ive already started it and didnt remember and i have Volt, A Bo Staff, Some Kunai and  a Assault Rifle so i will just aim to grind for that Rhino as soon as i can .

I prefer Roar over Warcry, but I guess that's dependent upon your teamplay. If everybody's geared towards melee, Valkyr is the better choice; otherwise I'd stick with Rhino.

It’s all about Rhino and Hek for me, ironskin is amazing. I think my fav war frame is Limbo though, just really interesting to play as, but is a bit squishy for me at the moment. Never really got on with Valkyr.

Going to finish The Sacrifice quest then finish levelling Titania so I can use her to complete the Rank 11 test. Need to get to 13 for a couple of prime weapons I have to build.

@The Eagle Lord I’m on Xbox so drop me a friends request if you want to team up.

I just never got on with Rhino I guess. 

I tend to run Saryn, Equinox, Valkyr Prime, Nova, Ivara and Nidus. Rotating between them as needed. 

Equinox can be a beast.

I love Rhino Prime with a souped up Galantine. Usually dive in to rescue other team members. Might say something about them but I don't care. :D The only thing missing from Rhino to make it perfect would be an actual heal.