Djx

Amiibo by Nintendo

A fair few posts on Amiibos have been popping up in the Wii U & Smash Bros threads. Might as well start a main thread on them.

Nintendo's amiibo website -

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/

Kotaku has a review of Wave 1. Some look great and some do not -

http://kotaku.com/up...ures-1656410094

Amazon.co.uk prices start at £10 -

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1416776856

Waves 3 and 4 are on the way soon -

http://www.eurogamer...-of-amiibo-toys

Some amiibos might also go up in price due to production errors -

http://www.gamespot....n/1100-6423773/

Polygon have also confirmed amiibo support for 3rd party games -

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/11/7379545/nintendo-amiibo-toys-bandai-namco-3ds-one-piece

Nintendo isn't the only company that will support its new line of amiibo figures in games like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8. Third-party publisher Bandai Namco is also supporting the NFC-powered toys in at least one of its games, One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X.

The new issue of Shonen Jump magazine shows that the Nintendo 3DS game based on One Piece will include new Nintendo-themed costumes that can be unlocked with amiibo. Luffy can dress up like Mario and Luigi using their respective amiibo, while Sanji gets a Fox McCloud costume and Zoro gets a Link costume.

One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X was released in Japan on Nov. 13.

Nintendo released the New Nintendo 3DS, which features a built-in NFC reader to support amiibo, in October. A stand-alone NFC reader accessory will be released for the Nintendo 3DS next year.

Nintendo has enabled or announced support for amiibo in a handful of games, including Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors and Mario Party 10. Support ranges from custom AI-controlled fighters that players can train to unlockable outfits and weapons.

• Upvote 2

Mate, one of them sold for 25 grand earlier in the week. I bought a Villager on Amazon the other day, they're going for £50 on ebay :lol:

Pointless crap, even by games industry standards.

There are grown men who have already spent more than £100 collecting these things, and that baffles me.

If there's anything worth speculating on in the videogame world, it's Nintendo stuff. Think original carded Star Wars figures.

It's unfortunate that Nintendo have pandered to the collectors market rather than the many kids who now won't be able to get all the ones they want. Unless they're intending to restock the rare ones and break the hearts of menchildren and scalpers.

They've sold 710,000 of them in the US alone, I don't think Nintendo could have produced more than that.

And look at how popular the Mario happy meal figures were, so I don't think it's down to just manchildren.

• Upvote 1

I would kill for a Shulk amiibo. For no other reason to put on my shelf.

There is one coming next year!

I told myself I was going to only buy one or two.

I now have Link, Samus, Yoshi and Villager with Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Shulk, Bowser and Mega Man on pre-order.

I need help.

• Upvote 2

Do they affect any games in worthwhile ways or is it just tat?

The main use at the moment is in Smash Bros where you can train and fight them but they also have a use in Mario Kart 8 to unlock costumes for your Mii

Nintendo have said they'll have uses in future games (Captain Toad is one of them) but haven't said exactly what yet.

Ah, an amiibo thread. Here is my post from yesterday in the Smash Bros thread:

GAME have broken street date on the 19th December wave of amiibos due to the stock shortage issues, so you can go in now and get Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Little Mac, Pit and Captain Falcon. I got myself a Pit after my Yoshi amiibo decided to vanish in the post. When I was in there (5pm-ish) Little Mac had already sold out...

Nobody knock them! They may be tat but they are going to keep Nintendo solvent so they can continue to make fantastic games for the < 10 million people who buy their systems for the fantastic exclusives!

(note actually no sarcasm, I am very glad Nintendo is in profit and can find a way to be profitable when selling so few systems)

• Upvote 3

I'd love to say I haven't succumbed and purchased any of these..... But I can't. I can get away with justifying them for my daughter right? :unsure:

Cheap tat.

Pick one up. Hold perfectly-presented little Pikachu in its colour coded presentation box, look into that yellow plastic face displaying a dim but eager little smile, speaking silently of impending adventures anew, goading you into opening the box and trying out that NFC shiz, making your own bespoke Pikachu personality you can upload and put in your new manbag and use to take on the world. Inanimate, yet with an active and beating digital heart. Unique.

They're silly, lovingly designed little toys and they are going to be big.

• Upvote 4

The only thing I dislike about amiibos so far is that their quality is very inconsistent. The human(ish) characters, like Link and (especially) Marth look much worse than simpler amiibos like Pikachu, Kirby and Yoshi.

I saw some of these in Sainsbury's today and I thought they looked slightly better quality than I might have expected but they hold no appeal for me. As a kid, yeah, I reckon I might have got into them the way some kids got into turtles and all that so I can understand why they're doing so well and, as mentioned above, anything that gets cash to Nintendo is fine by me if it means they'll keep churning (maybe more carefully drip-feeding) out great games like they have been recently.

Here are some new Wii U controllers coming soon... *sploosh*

gamecube_wii_u_fight_pad-1.jpg

gamecube_wii_u_fight_pad-2.jpg

gamecube_wii_u_fight_pad-3.jpg

gamecube_wii_u_fight_pad-4.jpg

PDP is releasing new Nintendo character-themed controllers for Wii U which resemble those used with GameCube.

While Mario, Yoshi, Princess Peach and Luigi controllers are already available, you can now pre-order controllers based on Donkey Kong, Link, Samus and Wario, per Gamespot.

The “Wired Fight Pad” controllers plugs into the Wii Remote and work with any game on both Wii and Wii U which supports the Classic Controller or the Classic Controller Pro.

Unlike Nintendo’s GameCube controllers, PDP’s version will work with Wii U without needing a special adapter, which only works with Super Smash Bros. anyway.

Link, Samus and Wario are listed for a March 2015 release, while the Donkey Kong-themed controller has a December 31 release next to it.

Head to GameStop for more information on the controllers.gamecube_wii_u_fight_pad-1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

was playing Metroid Trilogy today. Lower res aside, those games have barely aged. Prime should be up there with OoT. Absolutely amazing game

They are fantastic. Also it's funny you should mention OOT because I specifically remember putting Prime up there with stuff like OOT and RE4 - so videogamey, so good.

Fuck me are they missing a trick by not yet having done a Prime Trilogy HD Remake. The art in those games is stunning and they cry out for some more graphical grunt and an upscaling.

1 and 2 are a perfect, well, 1-2 punch. Nice contrast. Man, those games are full of character.

• Upvote 3