joffocakes

Street Fighter V Arcade Edition - Sagat arrived in latest patch.

My stick has arrived. It’s only a Mad Catz Alpha but I can’t believe how good it is, and for less than thirty quid. It’s the first stick I’ve had for about 15 years and it’s brilliant. I’m a very happy bunny.

• Upvote 2

After Evo happening and hearing good things about G and Sagat I thought I'd just go ahead and buy the third season pass...

£24.99! For that I'd want all costumes and colours for every new character too, and all of the stages to date. And decent net code.

It's been on sale a couple of times for £15 but yeah; that's still pretty expensive considering you can buy the game with passes 1 and 2 combined for cheaper than that. 

Fighting game DLC tends to be pretty expensive: I'd much rather they took an Overwatch style approach and made the money from cosmetics instead. I guess they're not popular enough to sustain that, though.

The pricing in this game is genuinely bullshit - I can only assume the fairly disastrous launch made Capcom think they have to get the most out of a small player base. It’s a shame because it’s a) a better game now, and b) still great to watch so there’s some esports money.

Still feeling the impact of a game launched way before it was ready?

On 13/08/2018 at 11:53, Darren said:

Once again though I wish this (and all fighting games) had a proper mode to help newbies through the learning curve, like VF4Evo's Quest Mode.

As the resident vf fanboy of this forum I don’t think vf taught newbies especially well. The thing it did brilliantly was put as much emphasis on defensive technique as combo practice. 

Also I’m still so shit at this game. Hit me up for free wins. 

Pleased for Oil King as he has had so many top 8 finishes but couldn't quite close them out. It's not Rashid's first major this season though as Gachikun took Abuget Cup. Maybe slightly smaller scale but it still had Xiao Hai, Xian, Haitani, Sako, Fuudo and indeed Oil King himself. I'd say Rashid is juuuust outside the top 5 in the game at the moment. Still good to see any of the characters outside the top 5 winning though.

What has been even more positive for me is

Zeku winning one major (AngryBird at Ultimate Fighting Arena) and placing top 8 at another (Huang Yang Mian at FFC). Huang Yang mian beat Gachikun, Kazunoko,  Tze and Xiao Hai along the way. AngryBird beat Phenom and Momi amongst others.

I think it's notable that three of those Zeku wins were aqainst very strong Cammy players.  Lots of folks saying that the character has been overlooked and it's looking like they were right, and if he proves to be a strong option against Cammy then that could make him very important to the game's balance. I really enjoy Old Zeku's space control with Gram and DP. He's a more legit shoto than Ryu when he's doing that. The big strength about his DP is that it's invincible to all aerial attacks for 8 frames and is active for pretty much the duration.. This means that if Cammy tries to bait it with funky dive kick timings it can still win clean. That combined with gram boxing her at mid range and tagging some of her jumps as she tries to take off makes Old Zeku neutral very troublesome for a character who is used to doing whatever she wants. It also helps that his V-Trigger 1 attack is fully invincible on start up and can be used as an anti-air. Having an option against Cammy dive kicks that only takes two buttons to input and can be confirmed into a safe on block string is massive for him.

Hi Fight's analysis of HuangYangMian vs Kazunoko highlights this stuff very well:

Would thoroughly recommend watching all of those Just Frame Analysis videos on Hi Fight's youtube as they are all excellent.

• Upvote 2

Wow, Ono's been replaced as the guy in charge of Capcom's fighting games. He's still around but Ryozo Tsjuimoto (the Monster Hunter World guy) has apparently been heading things up for the last couple of months.

Few random musings for a Sunday morning...

Even though this game has been out for over 3 years I still feel like people, even at top level play, have a lack of matchup knowledge. This is very likely down to the general style of the game where its more about kill the opponent BEFORE they kill you.

Still, I don’t feel like I see enough set ups being dealt with effectively. Ibuki’s Giant Shuriken still seems completely free for one. I wonder how many people have really dug deep on how to deal with this thing.

which leads me to this...

Cammy needs to be nerfed out of the top 10

This character’s archetype and move set, for this game, is too powerful.

This character isn’t about knowing a set up, or learning the matchup, she literally just constantly puts you in a scenario it’s straight up guess work. It’s very easy for her to put you in that guess position and if you’re a character without an invincible reversal to make her a least think twice, you literally have no options

Also for this reason, I think she “gate keeps” certain characters from progressing.

I think nerfing her out of the top 10 would lead to a more diverse range of characters making it to high levels of competition.

I really think “low tier” characters are just bullied out before they get a chance to show what they can do.

I think the staggering of character releases is leading to a lot of them not getting any time or learning.

Unless they’re obviously powerful they seem to be ditched within a few months. Had they been released earlier people may have felt more inclined to learn but as it stands. I think this is a shame as we won’t ever know the real potential of some characters.

I think Angry Birds recent win with Zeku shows the potential which is still lurking.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IgTerminals said:

Amazing sets against Sir Joffocakes' utterly brutal Bipson last night. Can't stop thinking about it.

That man is so good.

Yes, wonderful games sir! You humiliated my weak G 5 - 0 too; tour Guile is too powerful these days.

After messing around with other characters it's nice to go back to Bison and have some comfortable confidence. I really need to learn how to make his VTrigger II a more potent threat, though.

• Upvote 1

A customisable Dojo stage is arriving on 25th September. Sounds like you join a Dojo with other players via the Shadaloo CRI website and you can earn items to customise the stage via the browser and compete for points with rival dojos?

http://www.capcom-unity.com/strumslinger/blog/2018/09/19/introducing-dojos-to-street-fighter-v-arcade-edition-opening-on-september-25