joffocakes

Street Fighter V Arcade Edition - Sagat arrived in latest patch.

I have played pretty much every day now for about 2 months, I almost made it to Diamond rank so I finally feel I can give my impressions of the game. Having missed an entire year of the game and playing nothing but SFIV in Japan, it took me a really long time to get in to SFV. It's a frustating mess a lot of the time, but at it's heart, it's still Street Fighter. I only use Zangief so bear that in mind when reading my thoughts.

Let's start with the key problems. Gief's main button is his 3F jab and I should NEVER have to fear losing 40% of my health by pressing it. The risk vs reward (hallmark of any SF game) is just not there in the neutral due to the priority system and the crush counters it leads too. I really like the idea that DPs get crush countered though, that is fair for sure. Same for hard knock downs on a sweep since they're usually -100000 on block.

I also hate the plethora of stupidly fast EX-moves that are + on block. Against Urien I need to walk forward because he has a fireball, but his EX tackle is almost unblockable due to the lag. When he can do that and cancel in to Aegis it just makes all your hard work redundant. Birdie's EX dolphin dive is also really annoying, if Tokido can't react to it, what chance do us mere mortals have? In AE they need to make them slower or - on block. I really hate brainless moves. Thank god Balrog's TAP is getting nerfed.

The damage and stun is too high, even Zangief gets stunned by one or 2 mix-ups. The game would be better if we could play more. Surely they will do a general decrease on damage and stun for AE with all the new combo extenders? Otherwise it's going to be even more insane.

But despite all that, if you have the anti-airs down, good punishes and a good understanding of when to V-reversal then you can have many great fights in between the maulings by crazy Lauras and the random Kens. You just have to forget about almost everything you learnt in SFIV. I'm really looking forward AE, if they get it right we will have a great game finally.

• Upvote 2

So, even if you buy the character passes and the Costume passes in this game, the holiday costume set, beach wear set, you still don't have access to all the costumes available? When I go to the "shop" there is for instance, "Sporty Karin" costume which requires me to spend £3.29. 

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

Yeah this game has infinite costumes. Buying all of them would be wild.

Ok, just so I know, so kind of like DOA Ultimate or whatever the last one was called. Base game £11.99, additional costume total £500

• Upvote 1

Did the alternative costumes always show up on the character select screen?

Was very confused when I saw the thumbnail for this on youtube, couldn't figure out what I was looking at.

Screenshot_20171223-193716.png

39 minutes ago, hughes said:

Just did a curiosity google for DOA5 full cost, it's actually over £900 now.

Wow madness.

I must admit I only just started playing Street Fighter 5, and am loving it. It is interesting to read up about the censorship issues etc. The costume unlocking is kind of confusing at first, but I think I get it now. Loving the music in it as well!

22 hours ago, Sumire said:

Wow madness.

I must admit I only just started playing Street Fighter 5, and am loving it. It is interesting to read up about the censorship issues etc. The costume unlocking is kind of confusing at first, but I think I get it now. Loving the music in it as well!

Yeah, I think the music is generally outstanding on V. I much prefer these tracks to SFIV. 

I'm tempted to do that so I'll have as complete a version of the game for the start of season 3, but even at half price I kind of resent spending £12 on the season 2 lame wads.

On 26/12/2017 at 16:14, Fuddle said:

Just to show how little I actually play this game.

today I got the 300 ranked wins trophy. Only took two years

and with kolin too!

I still don’t have this yet surprisingly.

Although I think it’s more to do with the fact it seems tied to ranked matches only and I can only endure ranked for like half an hour before getting enraged with insanity play styles.

”hey m8, you do realise blocked fireball, ex dragon punch isn’t really legit, right?”

Thing is, I’m pretty sure at Super Gold level they do, but they’re just like “fuck it”

But then it’s not really their fault is it. It’s anything to win and if something works of course you’re gonna keep doing it.

-2 moves are the worst culprits for this. Some people have a warped view of what “safe” means

Saying all this, I do run into people sometimes who really know what they’re doing and in these cases I do have super enjoyable fights. I’ve definitely made my peace with the game and definitely can enjoy it. I think if the lag issue is fixed the game will be completely different too as being able to react to crazy play would be a massive fix in my mind.

• Upvote 1

Super interesting paragraph from the Gunfight interview on EH...

“Top tier characters or command throw loop characters, I feel like I am always receiving double punishment for my choices, getting damage, stun and put in the corner and then having to deal with a situation where I have no options, no way to control or limit the risk of the outcome, and it feels very bad. In the end, after I lost, I am just like "I should have guessed better" ... Not much to learn from that.”

Obviously you can’t use this for every loss as you still have to learn a lot with matchups but in any true 50/50 loop situations it’s very much the case that your only learning is to guess better, which a agree, is pretty minging.

However in my mind I have slight controversy...

At high levels “eating the throw” is a common tactic. So if eating the will always lead to a return to neutral is it a too powerful option to just eat it?

I’m not sure on that one.

Not long now to AE, super interested to read the changes coming to the game.

Listening to Vesper Arcade’s PSX version of Boxer, it sound like there’s large changes afoot! His unconfirmed nerfs include:

-2 on all TAPs

no HP hit after CC HK

Less push back on blocked dash punches

Target Combo into VT cancel is negative on block

The CC HK and VT cancel changes are interesting as these are more in line with universal changes Requested by people so it’s hard to know if these changes are specific to Boxer or if they’re a sign of things to come.

Nobody talking about this game with the update about to land in 2 weeks. Sad times indeed...

I made my first SFV online friend today! \o/

A delightful platinum Ken player who I've ran into a couple of times and we always have super close games.

He actually scares me because he's makes me think about how to open him up, which is a lot harder than you think...Compare this to 99% other Kens online that are as open as a 7/11.

He sent me a msg afterwards saying it was a good matches and to hit him up for some BLs whenever I'm free. 

Reminded me of the joy you can have with online SF but then in the same heartbeat how backward to whole online system is for seeing who people are and sending them msgs. 

Actually the other thing I noticed, which was pretty cool, was the live updates from followed players on the default CFN page. Was super cool to see updates coming through live saying things like

Daigo just started a ranked match

Daigo just beat funbob 2-0 in a ranked match

etc.

I am cautiously optimistic about this Season.

I think the with some of the impending fan favourites,  interesting potential balance changes, and a potential fix for the lag, it could all lead to a SFV that everyone can enjoy.

I'm interested in what changes come about. But there's nothing much to say till we get the big PDF. Alex's new throw looks nice, but is it good enough to give up parries? Not sure about that. I've been using kolin for the past few weeks anyway, so hopefully she gets buffed too. I seem to have a knack for picking low tiers.

not bothered about the returning characters, but I have enough fight money for 3 already. I wonder how much can be made from arcade mode. It would be nice if I could get through without spending real money like the first year.

Speculation baby!

VesperArcade seems to think VT2 will make Alex a more complete character

Alex's VT1 is interesting...I only think it's super strong when people don't know what to do about it.

Generally these days as soon as Alex pops VT I just back off until it runs out or at least make my moves a bit more awkward/off timing.

57 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Nobody talking about this game with the update about to land in 2 weeks. Sad times indeed...

For me, it's because I have absolutely no idea what form this game is in, and what form it's going to be in with the Arcade Edition update. 

I just want the latest version of Street Fighter V with all the characters, like Super Street Fighter 4 or something. 

It's insanely fragmented. 

20 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

For me, it's because I have absolutely no idea what form this game is in, and what form it's going to be in with the Arcade Edition update. 

I just want the latest version of Street Fighter V with all the characters, like Super Street Fighter 4 or something. 

It's insanely fragmented. 

Good question

Paging @joffocakes

I'm sure Joffo can give you a super explanation of what to expect in Arcade Edition

Me, I just watch videos of cool SF things.

Ah! I'm in work just now but if you want "everything" it'll likely be 2020 or so when the game's planned DLC is done (I'm waiting to do this with Injustice 2 since I'm not likely to play it anyway).

If you want to be up to date just now the the current PSN price of £12 plus £12 for the season 2 pass will get you all characters and a bunch of costumes; essentially all the content of Arcade Edition.

Arcade Edition does not include the Season 3 characters (Sakura, Falke, Blanka, Sagat, Cody, G) but you could comfortably earn them with fight money.

Either way, updates to the latest version of the game are free so you don't need to worry about having an obsolete version (Arcade Mode, Team Battle, Extra Battle, Balance changes etc will be part of January 16th free Arcade Edition update).

• Upvote 1

I was thoroughly enjoying myself with SFV again today, having not played for two weeks.

I miss the old rllmuk SFIV days, though. I miss playing everyone regularly, giving me impetus to practice things against certain characters that were regular opponents. 

I miss Heggfest.